stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Interesting--thanks for the link!

Years ago, my cousin was turning away from all religion and just seemed lost. And he was dead-set against all religion. He needed a kidney transplant. His sister, a nun, was his donor. Within a short period of time, he found a religion and was dedicated to it until he died.

I always just chalked it up to the "so sick then physically saved" type thing, that he felt a need to having some sort of religion.

Who knows--:Shrug:

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Jodi Piccult wrote a novel about this. In the story, a girl needed a heart transplant, and the person who volunteered, who wanted to give her his heart, was a murderer. It was interesting. I think it could happen.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, but needs more study by competent scientists. Right now, we're just looking at anecdotal evidence that points the way to what could be new knowledge.

Thanks for the link.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like a big fat pile of woo to me. All the "evidence" they present is anecdotal. I'll believe it when they can show me double-blind studies and repeated results under laboratory conditions.

But then, I'm a no-fun skeptic.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe this to be true in some cases. I heard of a person receiving a heart and always craving Chicken McNuggets when never craving them in the past. When this person met the relative of the heart donor they reviled that the donor in fact loved the nuggets and ate them a lot.

I saw a tv show on this and there were a few people who reported strange things since receiving hearts.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of other instances of cellular memory from transplant recipients. Anything is possible in the realm of the human body

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
See the quote in my siggy for my overall opinion.

The world is a weird and amazing place. Life and the human body remain a mystery to be studied. I can't wait to see some creative and curious scientists dive into this topic in further depth.

Just because something is weird doesn't make it woo. There are many things that mirror neurons do that have been witnessed under lab conditions in amputee patients and other things that are, well, just plain weird about the way the body and mind work. Weird happens. Does it make it supernatural or magic? No, it just means it's weird. ;) And it's just another potential area of study. There are many things we don't know about the body--yet. My guess would be, the further we go the more interplay we'll find between the functioning of the brain and other organs. Afterall, the brain is an organ, too, and part of the system. It would be kind of odd to think we're all made of parts that work together every day and don't talk to each other :)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have some of whatever the author of the study was smoking... But come to think of it, the other day, after my morning dump I couldn't remember the name of a neighbor who I greeted by name numerous times in the previous months. I'm wondering how many other people forget things within a few hours of taking a dump. I bet I can find some interesting stories there and weave it into the theory that we are eliminating more than just wastes from our bodies every day. Maybe our rectum has a soul and memories, and all of that good stuff. I might even be able to to squeeze a book out of the project.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm ... so then if the brain is the controlling organ and the brain contains the memory it makes sense that that memory would become embedded in cells and other organs.
It's fascinating, really, to think my kidney would remember the sort of alcohol I liked to drink and foist that on my transplant recipient (if there were to ever be a transplant recipient).

I have to admit I was skeptical of this at first but after giving it some thought I think perhaps we've just tipped the iceberg in understanding the human body.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have some of whatever the author of the study was smoking... But come to think of it, the other day, after my morning dump I couldn't remember the name of a neighbor who I greeted by name numerous times in the previous months. I'm wondering how many other people forget things within a few hours of taking a dump. I bet I can find some interesting stories there and weave it into the theory that we are eliminating more than just wastes from our bodies every day. Maybe our rectum has a soul and memories, and all of that good stuff. I might even be able to to squeeze a book out of the project.

Probably... still, it's interesting. Just because a crackpot (head?) writes about it doesn't mean all of the ideas are worth chucking. Just sayin'...

And...this thread is begging for a replay of this joke:

<DL>When the body was first made, all the parts wanted to be the boss.
The brain said to the other parts of the body, Since I control everything and do all the thinking, therefore I should be boss!
And the feet said, Since I carry Man where he wants to go and get him in position to do what the brain wants, so I should be boss!
And the hands said, Since I do all the work and earn all the money to keep the rest of you going, I should be boss instead!
And the eyes said, Since I must look out for all of you and tell you where danger lurks, surely I should be boss!
</DL><DL>
And so were the mouth, the lungs and the heart arguing over who should be the boss and finally the asshole spoke up and demanded that he should be made boss. All of the other parts broke out in laughter at the idea of an asshole being made boss. The asshole was very angry and felt so insulted that he decided to block himself off and refused to let anything come out of it.
</DL><DL>
Soon after several days and weeks, the brain was feverish, the eyes crossed and ached, the feet became too weak to walk, the hands hung limply at the sides, the mouth couldn't eat anything, and the lungs and the heart struggled to keep going... Finally all of them pleaded with the brain to relent and let the asshole be boss over all the other parts.
And so it happened. All the other parts resumed their functions and the asshole just bossed and passed out a lot of shit...

The moral of the story is: You don't have to have a brain to be boss, just an asshole!

</DL>

As for colons with memories... I think mine must have... my "stomach" turns every time I pass a certain local eating establishment where I was the unfortunate victim of a Hep A. outbreak a few years ago.