"Republicans Are Hypocrites..."

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
So says Calif. Gov. Schartzeneager (sp).

Gov. S. says stimulas package has created 150,000 jobs in California and that it's been a good thing for the country. He lambasted the many Republicans who voted against the bill than posed with large checks (bearing their signature) with their constituents for photo ops. He said they were hypocrits and playing politics.

Thoughts?

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
All humans are hypocrites to some extent. It comes from the fact that our vision of the world and its actuality are two different things.

The important question is how deliberate is the hypocrisy? In the case of the current GOP representatives I think it's quite deliberate.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
The Bill was passed, the money will be spent. At the end of the day, Reps represent their constituencies and if there's Federal monies to be had, they're gonna go after that money, same as everyone else. This is true for both parties: Dems that voted against the bill are also grabbing what they can for their districts. Standing on principle doesn't fit the template for holding on to power in the House. Never has, never will. You can actively oppose a measure that you think is a bad idea, but you can't pass up the moolah, not if you want to stay in office.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
The Bill was passed, the money will be spent. At the end of the day, Reps represent their constituencies and if there's Federal monies to be had, they're gonna go after that money, same as everyone else. This is true for both parties: Dems that voted against the bill are also grabbing what they can for their districts. Standing on principle doesn't fit the template for holding on to power in the House. Never has, never will. You can actively oppose a measure that you think is a bad idea, but you can't pass up the moolah, not if you want to stay in office.

So it IS all about getting re-elected... Good to know where their priorities are.

No wonder we're in gridlock.

And it's one thing to oppose and a bill and then spend the funds. It's another thing to vote against a bill, spend the funds and then go on, and on, and on, about how it's not helping and how evil the Obama adm. is to do such a thing.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So it IS all about getting re-elected... Good to know where their priorities are.

No wonder we're in gridlock.

And it's one thing to oppose and a bill and then spend the funds. It's another thing to vote against a bill, spend the funds and then go on, and on, and on, about how it's not helping and how evil the Obama adm. is to do such a thing.

And that's the case for both parties, BTW.
Exactly.

Any careful look at these kinds of bills--federal spending on various programs that have competition for the dollars--will reveal the pattern. It doesn't matter how much and how hard you oppose a particular bill, if there's money to be had for your district down the road, you go for it.

The Repubs that are taking the money now--like the Dems doing the same--aren't doing anything new, at all. It's just a good angle--hypocrisy--for an attack.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I've said it before, I'l say it again: Arnie is the ONLY Republican in the known universe at this time with a snowball's chance of winning the presidential race in 2012.

Except for that tiny little detail about his not being a "natural born citizen."

Ya' think anyone would care if he tried????? I mean c'mon, it's not as if anyone's ever made a hubbub about that one annoying Constitutional requirement in recent history, right?? But even if anyone DID want to try and be a stickler for that pesky little rule, maybe we could have the Congress ammend the US Constitution to do away with that whole "natural born citizen" nonsense. And I'd be willing to bet that the entire Republican party would unanimously get behind such an ammendment in order to help Arnie win. Afterall ...... they're NOT hypocrites, right???

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Personally, I like Arnie. And he's had a tough gig, no doubt. But his approval numbers suck on ice, he's not well thought of by the conservative base, and he comes with a bit too much baggage. Dick Cheney would have a better chance of winning than Arnie in 2012, imo.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like Arnie. And he's had a tough gig, no doubt. But his approval numbers suck on ice, he's not well thought of by the conservative base, and he comes with a bit too much baggage. Dick Cheney would have a better chance of winning than Arnie in 2012, imo.

You want my early prediction: Palin wins in 2012. I kid you not. And I hope I'm wrong. But, as Rob said, Arnie doesn't have a chance as things stand (aside from his birthplace), he's too moderate.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I've said it before, I'l say it again: Arnie is the ONLY Republican in the known universe at this time with a snowball's chance of winning the presidential race in 2012.

Except for that tiny little detail about his not being a "natural born citizen."

Ya' think anyone would care if he tried????? I mean c'mon, it's not as if anyone's ever made a hubbub about that one annoying Constitutional requirement in recent history, right?? But even if anyone DID want to try and be a stickler for that pesky little rule, maybe we could have the Congress ammend the US Constitution to do away with that whole "natural born citizen" nonsense. And I'd be willing to bet that the entire Republican party would unanimously get behind such an ammendment in order to help Arnie win. Afterall ...... they're NOT hypocrites, right???
Sounds very Demolition Man to me, lol. Of course, that movie seems less and less inaccurate as time moves on.

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
So says Calif. Gov. Schartzeneager (sp).

Gov. S. says stimulas package has created 150,000 jobs in California and that it's been a good thing for the country. He lambasted the many Republicans who voted against the bill than posed with large checks (bearing their signature) with their constituents for photo ops. He said they were hypocrits and playing politics.

Thoughts?

What is the unemployment rate?

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds...ate&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate

Let's say it is true, though. 150,000 jobs, at an average of what, $40,000 each? So, call it $6 billion dollars. At the end of the year, when the money runs out, then what? After all, these are government jobs, or government contracts.

Unless we're going to borrow a trillion dollars each year, to keep them and others around the country employed, what will we do next year?

Personally, I'm not against spending money, if it is well-spent. The porkulus bill wasn't.

Last edited:

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
All humans are hypocrites to some extent. It comes from the fact that our vision of the world and its actuality are two different things.

The important question is how deliberate is the hypocrisy? In the case of the current GOP representatives I think it's quite deliberate.

Sure, that's politics. It's like Obama, saying he's going to put all the health care negotiations on health care on C-Span. Or his pledge to not sign any earmarks. Or his promise to take public financing for his campaign. Or...I could go on and on and on.

Politicians lie. It's a fact of life, sadly. It happens because we don't hold them accountable for it, on either side of the aisle.

But, it's also a measure of character. So, vote against liars. I try to do so.

But, we have bigger problems than lots of fibbers in Washington. We have very real economic problems, and a terrible cost problem with our health care system. Those things are a lot more important.

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score

The bill could be repealed, the unspent money recovered, and either reduce the deficit, or spent in better fashion.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score

I agree with him on this and some other issues. But he shouldn't be a serious contender for president if he were eligible. He has not been a successful governor.

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score

I wouldn't get behind it. But then, I'm not really a Republican, I'm a fiscal conservative. I vote republican because they are less egregious than democrats (even if that isn't saying a great deal).

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Gridlock's relative.

2613574700100527759S425x425Q85.jpg

Personally, I'm all for it.

ETA: The bottom is congress session numbers, not years. :D

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

No, Arnie would have a better chance because he's still a celebrity and America just loves celebrities. Why else would people seriously be talking up John Mellencamp to run for Evan Bayh's seat.

Dick Cheney could never be elected president. You have to be a human being, not an upright reptile.

But I'd love to see the sonofabiscuit run just to see him get the snot beat out of him.

You want my early prediction: Palin wins in 2012. I kid you not. And I hope I'm wrong. But, as Rob said, Arnie doesn't have a chance as things stand (aside from his birthplace), he's too moderate.

Palin won't win if she runs and if she runs she won't win. See. All bases covered.

More likely the Repubs choose another ex-governor like Mittens Romney or Tim Pawlenty. Safe. Dull. Electable.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Dick Cheney is living proof that David Icke is right.

That's twice we've agreed, nt, but who's counting?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'd vote for Arnold. Not because he is a famous celebrity, not because he was the Terminator, but because I actually think he's done as good a job as can be done with a shit situation.

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
This is a joke, right? Considering how far the Birthers carried their absurdities about Obama?

caw

The curious case of Stefan Cook

Act II

So, right after the case got traction, the Army withdrew the orders.

Act III

I don't know what Obama's problem with his birth certificate is. He took an oath to uphold the Constitution, though, both when he took office as a Senator, and as President. He is supposed to be the leader of our country. Shouldn't a leader settle any questions about his legitimacy, as fully as possible, to remove as much doubt as possible?

So, why not provide the long form, with the signatures of witnesses on it, and so forth? Hawaii says they have it in their vaults. He could release it. Why doesn't he?

As for the Supreme Court, I have a great deal of contempt for them on this issue. Rather than hearing the matter fully, they just declare that citizens don't have standing to sue to force the government and the courts to uphold the Constitution. That's just wrong. Every citizen should have that right. Under the 9th amendment, I argue that we do.

The last thing is: sooner or later his certificate will see the light of day. If it turns out he isn't a legitimate citizen, then every bill he signed, every appointment he made, every treaty he negotiated, will be illegitimate as well. The potential legal mess would be incalculable.

Last edited: