PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else wonder where those mystery rep points come from?

kaitie
02-22-2010, 04:25 AM
You know, the ones where you have four new messages, but ten new points. I'm guessing people just hit the rep without leaving a comment, but does anyone else wonder where those came from? I'm always curious, trying to remember if I said something poignant or funny, or maybe someone just hit the button by mistake!

jvc
02-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Some members have a rep point power of 2. Which means everytime they send you a rep, you get two points. They don't have the option to only give you one, though, or two. They just give two points everytime they send you a rep. Some even have a rep power of 3.

And I know someone who has a rep point power of 10 :D

Haggis
02-22-2010, 04:31 AM
And I know someone who has a rep point power of 10 :D

:eek:

ad_lucem
02-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Behold, the power of rep :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

jvc
02-22-2010, 04:37 AM
Everytime Haggis sends a rep, a cute tiny kitten falls off a cliff :D

ad_lucem
02-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Only to be eaten shortly thereafter by this guy (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/16/tv-chef-cat-stew-italy)...

kaitie
02-22-2010, 04:45 AM
Ooooh, that's awesome! I wonder who the ten point person is. At first I thought it was that you just got two points for a rep, but I have an odd number so that didn't make any sense at all, and sometimes I knew I'd only get one. That explains a lot. So what determines how many rep points a person can give? Like do the mods get extra?

Also, lol @ JVC. :D

alleycat
02-22-2010, 04:49 AM
And I know someone who has a rep point power of 10.
That is the mighty Rep Point Goddess, whose name is never to be said aloud.

alleycat
02-22-2010, 04:50 AM
And Silver King locks a thread.

Mr Flibble
02-22-2010, 04:51 AM
So what determines how many rep points a person can give? Like do the mods get extra?

I think it's how much rep that person has themselves, but I could be wrong. However, long time members, or those with high post counts, seem to give more rep - mods too I think

I got a 10 rep point rep once or twice too :D

alleycat
02-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Remember, She who can give a ten-point rep can give a minus ten-point rep. Be afraid, be very afraid.

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Remember, She who can give a ten-point rep can give a minus ten-point rep. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Whoa, seriously? I didn't know you could do that, either. Kaitie is clearly clueless. Um...no need to demonstrate this to prove it, pwease. :D

jvc
02-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Yeah can't tell you who the ten-pointer is because as AC pointed out it's she-who-can't-be-named. And if I did name her, then she-who-must-not-be-named would do unpleasant things to the poor dragon (again). And although I didn't not enjoy it persay, the cleaning bill was horrendous.

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Any relation to He-who-must-not-be-named?

How do we know how many we get? I assume I only give one, but I'm just wondering how you can tell.

jvc
02-22-2010, 05:16 AM
It's a complicated formula to do with how long you've been a member, the user group, how many posts you have and how many reps you have. Plus how many times you've stroked a kitten, eaten eggs for breakfast, jumped over a wall, run out side to shout 'banana' and how many times you've licked a donkey. As I say, a complicated formula.

Sage
02-22-2010, 05:17 AM
I used to give 5x reps, but I don't know how many I give now. It's based on your post count and your rep point total in some combination I never could figure out.

Cranky
02-22-2010, 05:19 AM
I still don't know how many reps I give out. Hopefully, nobody feels slighted. :D

Silver King
02-22-2010, 05:21 AM
And Silver King locks a thread.
Lock the thread? Heck, I'm so honored that kaitie has started a discussion in this room that I might stick it to the top of the forum so that it never drops out of sight.

I'm pretty sure that my reps count as two points, but what I say in each is worth ten times that much!

jvc
02-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Feel free to test those reps out on me :D

(yes, I'm shameless :D )

L.J.
02-22-2010, 05:23 AM
It's a complicated formula to do with how long you've been a member, the user group, how many posts you have and how many reps you have. Plus how many times you've stroked a kitten, eaten eggs for breakfast, jumped over a wall, run out side to shout 'banana' and how many times you've licked a donkey. As I say, a complicated formula.

I've stroked a kitten lots (and been stroked by one with his claws), I eat eggs nearly every day for breakfast, I tripped over the last wall I tried to jump, I've never yelled 'banana', but I have eaten banana pudding, and I've never licked a donkey, but I've had one lick me. As an added bonus, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:24 AM

Wow...either there's quite the form to fill out or MacAllister has some pretty darn amazing psychic abilities. I wonder if the kitten stroking is cumulative, or only since we joined. :tongue Perhaps we can convince her to count puppy stroking instead. ;) And also, does she pay our bail when we get arrested for the donkey licking?

alleycat
02-22-2010, 05:24 AM
I used to give 5x reps, but I don't know how many I give now. It's based on your post count and your rep point total in some combination I never could figure out.
It isn't something that mere mortals are meant to understand, kind of like how Ben Stiller became a movie star.

alleycat
02-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Ahhhhhhhh! Someone has mentioned the name!

Sage
02-22-2010, 05:26 AM
How do we know how many we get? I assume I only give one, but I'm just wondering how you can tell.
You just ask someone you rep. Shady Lane and I used to track ours when we did the Voice Game here and communicated about it via rep

Wayne K
02-22-2010, 05:29 AM
What's a rep point?

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Lock the thread? Heck, I'm so honored that kaitie has started a discussion in this room that I might stick it to the top of the forum so that it never drops out of sight.

I'm pretty sure that my reps count as two points, but what I say in each is worth ten times that much!

:D

Really, I'd hang out in here all the time except then I get nothing done. ;)

Wicked
02-22-2010, 05:32 AM
That is the mighty Rep Point Goddess, whose name is never to be said aloud.

Oh, you mean M- *gets stuffed in bag and drug out of thread*

jvc
02-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Yep, Katie is one point. But you have only been here since September last year. Give it time and lots of good posts, and you'll soon be able to give one and a half reps. :)

Although I should point out, that it's the messages that I get from the reps that mean more to me than the numbers associated with them. I really do cherish them. And I've got some brilliantly funny messages, great messages of support, messages telling how great I am, how helpful I am, how handsome I am etc (can never have too many of them ;) ). Plus one message today from someone who is going to run off with me now her husband has turned 65 (not telling you that person is though :D ).

I even got a rep from SK the other week :TheWave:

Wayne K
02-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Can you send a ten point rep with a PC, or do you need a Mac?

jvc
02-22-2010, 05:37 AM
What's a rep point?
You have no idea how many times I get that over in the Newbie forum and the FAQ forum or by PM from newbies or not-so-new newbies who have only just discovered them and haven't bothered to read the newbie guide or the 'what the buttons mean' thread I point them too when I welcome them. I sometimes think Mac made me mod of those two forums as some kind of punishment for making fun of her homemade cookies once. :D

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:38 AM
I love the messages, too. I don't really care so much about the number haha. The messages are a great pick me up, though. That should probably have hyphens in it, huh? Oh well, Kaitie is hyphen-phobic.

alleycat
02-22-2010, 05:39 AM
I sometimes think Mac made me mod of those two forums as some kind of punishment for making fun of her homemade cookies once.
Oh, she's be glad you brought it up again. Keep it up and you'll be a co-mod of the P&CE forum as well.

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Can you send a ten point rep with a PC, or do you need a Mac?

I'm pretty sure either work, but a netbook knocks it down to five. :tongue

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Okay, much as I'd love to stay, I need to run home and get a tupperware thingy and then come back up to the school and make cookies myself! Actually, it's a cookie cake. Wish me luck, all. :D

alleycat
02-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Okay, much as I'd love to stay, I need to run home and get a tupperware thingy and then come back up to the school and make cookies myself! Actually, it's a cookie cake. Wish me luck, all. :D
jvc said to not use Mac's recipe.

Hey, he said it, not me.

Silver King
02-22-2010, 05:43 AM
...I even got a rep from SK the other week :TheWave:
See? I told you that getting one from me was the equivalent of receiving at least twenty rep points all at once. Just look how happy it made Jed. :D

jvc
02-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Oh, she's be glad you brought it up again. Keep it up and you'll be a co-mod of the P&CE forum as well.
Shhh, don't even joke about that, it aint funny (she-who-must-not-be-named might be listening). I try and stay away from there as much as possible. It's a deep pond and I never have enough cigars or whiskey to keep me docile.

Wicked
02-22-2010, 05:47 AM
See? I told you that getting one from me was the equivalent of receiving at least twenty rep points all at once. Just look how happy it made Jed. :D

*makes note to purchase fancy fish flakes and frozen brine shrimp to bribe the fishy mod*

kaitie
02-22-2010, 05:49 AM
Wow, this thread has given me a golden reputation. Appreciate it guys, though I sorta liked the sentiment that I should be running for president. :tongue Seriously, going now! I've only wasted another twenty minutes haha. I'm so not going to get any writing done at this rate. ;)

jvc
02-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Yep, I'm finally on a distinguished path ;)

MaryMumsy
02-22-2010, 06:00 AM
She who must not be named is not the only 10 point repper. There is also the other she who must not be named, while she wearing her not to be named hat.

MM
who is only worth one point

MacAllister
02-22-2010, 06:05 AM

It isn't something that mere mortals are meant to understand, kind of like how Ben Stiller became a movie star.

Also, I go and change the rep-point-bestowing parameters now and then, in semi-random and utterly arbitrary fashion, because it gives me a good opportunity to practice my evil laugh.

Now. Have we done rainbow pony avatars, yet?

alleycat
02-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Did I mention I love your homemade cookies?

writerterri
02-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Hey, Mac, still enjoying that blanket? :D

Cella
02-22-2010, 06:14 AM
I think if you donate $$ to AW your reps are worth more ;):D

How's that for campaigning!?

Haggis
02-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Yep, I'm finally on a distinguished path ;)

I'll take care of that.

*punches out multiple negative reps for Jed*

Now. Have we done rainbow pony avatars, yet?

My Dog, woman. Weren't the Hello Kitty avatars enough for you?

Sage
02-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Are they My Little Ponies? Because those are pretty cool.

Or the horse from Rainbow Brite :D

jvc
02-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Did I mention I love your homemade cookies?
You liddle suck-up you :e2tongue:

jvc
02-22-2010, 07:42 AM
I'll take care of that.

*punches out multiple negative reps for Jed*

Darn it liddle doggy, do you know how long it took me to get through the gate and onto that beeleading path. Now I have to touch the latch on the gate again. And butterflies have pee'd on it.

Susie
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Not to brag, but my reps are worth more than 1 pt. so y'all better be nice to me! :D (Like ya aren't always!) :)

Ken
02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
... Susie's sure are. Sure is good to have her as a friend ;-)

(For lots better reasons than reps!)

BardSkye
02-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Everybody knows Susie's rep points are worth much more than their numerical value.

Rebekah7
02-22-2010, 09:24 AM
My rep points are worth negative points. I think it's because of all those kittens I've shaved.

kayleamay
02-22-2010, 09:24 AM
I always thought that the rep points were delivered by internet fairies while I slept. Please don't tell me this is wrong. I don't think I could take a hit like that. I'm fragile, y'know?

Medievalist
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Are they My Little Ponies? Because those are pretty cool.

Or the horse from Rainbow Brite :D

That is TOTALLY DOABLE

Medievalist
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I think if you donate $$ to AW your reps are worth more ;):D

How's that for campaigning!?

Nope; not that one.

Shall I actually explain it?

Naahhhhhh

kaitie
02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Nope; not that one.

Shall I actually explain it?

Naahhhhhh

Meanie-butt. I discovered making cookie cakes takes waaaay longer than anticipated! This is probably mostly because I am not a cook and it was my first time. On the other hand...

I has cookie cake! :D:D:D

aadams73
02-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I swapped all my rep points for a pony.

Tin Man
02-22-2010, 02:16 PM
My rep points whiten your teeth.:D

regdog
02-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Not to brag, but my reps are worth more than 1 pt. so y'all better be nice to me! :D (Like ya aren't always!) :)

How's this:D

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/china-aboutuk-fooddrink-food-scotla.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/cake05.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/3092_MEDIUM.jpg

alleycat
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Some people need to be more careful when they send reps. I know I often get reps addressed to some member named "Idiot".

regdog
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Some people need to be more careful when they send reps. I know I often get reps addressed to some member named "Idiot".

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/whistling-1.gif

cray
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
I always thought that the rep points were delivered by internet fairies while I slept.

*checks reps*

hmm. it seems my internet fairy is named quickwit.

robeiae
02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
My rep points are worth 17 each. No joke. Some kind of quirk in the system. But I'm stingy with them.

Susie
02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Aww, youz guyz are super duper. Here's :Cake:s 'n :popcorn: 'n :Hug2:s Special thanks to Ken, Heather 'n Bard. *Smoochies*

Lavern08
02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
... Plus one message today from someone who is going to run off with me now that her husband has turned 65.

Now that's a tasty morsel! ;)

Maxinquaye
02-23-2010, 01:07 AM
I wondered about that too sometimes. Not that I obsessively check my reps. Of course. I have some pride.... after all. I think.

(me rushes to my profile page)

Right.

I did wonder about it, and lo and behold, an answer is given. :)

kaitie
02-23-2010, 05:03 AM
I admit it. I am an obsessive rep point checker. I will one day be checking into rep point checkers anonymous. ;) I know nothing of this "pride" thing you speak of.

Rowan
02-23-2010, 05:11 AM
I admit it. I am an obsessive rep point checker. I will one day be checking into rep point checkers anonymous. ;) I know nothing of this "pride" thing you speak of.

I'm with you! Especially when I get close to the next 'level'... it's really sad. Clearly I need to get out more.

kaitie
02-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Has anyone else tried giving themselves rep points? I've never done it, but I have to admit to being curious...

jvc
02-23-2010, 05:18 AM
You can't give yourself a rep point. If you click on the scales on your own post it just tells you how many reps you have and whether that post has been repped.

kaitie
02-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Haha nifty. I didn't figure you could. It's one of those things I've wondered about, but never tried. It feels like cheating, so I've always been afraid it would work haha. Yes...I'm a dork like that.