Identify this character

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I am putting this here because I know it's going to turn into a free-for-all no matter what so why not make it a party right? But what kind of man has the following habits:

Asks for and makes appointments only to cancel at the last minute with the reason, "my dear friend just found out they have cancer yesterday and I want to go be supportive"...keep in mind he's known all day and declared that his appointment with the other person was the only thing he had going and looked forward to. (by appointment I don't mean date, I mean an international business call)

Sends text messages to said business associate that say, "If you were here: where would I be taking you out for dinner tonight." (totally out of the blue and random)

Drops random Facebook messages titled as "My favorite movie--lake house"
or "This is the week." and gives an acquaintance his entire week schedule.

Sends business associate photos of his kids, dog and home, randomly, over and over again.

When conversing with business contact via email take offense at a benign comment and goes off on tangents meant for someone else. (probably a female)

Posts the most embarrassing, self incriminating videos on Youtube from his younger years and links them on Facebook.

-----------
So I could go on but I hope that's enough. I think this guy is quirky enough to be a great character, BUT I can't figure out what he has. Is this a social disorder, mental disorder, self esteem deficiency or over inflated ego...or, maybe, I don't know, taught no manners and has no filter for appropriate interactions?

Help me out. What's up with this guy and what kind of characters have you come across in your life that you just know you have to write a character based on them.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Cass, your character sounds self-important. Most likely from the time he was a baby, and never left the ego stage. Maybe parents who fostered that him, allowing him to have his way and also praising him for every poop he did 'til he was an adult.

I knew a guy like that; he even would tell business associates about his colonoscopies or "severe" back pain. "Me,me,me."

It would make a wonderful character!

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having flashbacks to the Aspergers thread. *flinches*

It struck me as something of a social disorder. Difficulty recognizing boundaries.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Cass, your character sounds self-important. Most likely from the time he was a baby, and never left the ego stage. Maybe parents who fostered that him, allowing him to have his way and also praising him for every poop he did 'til he was an adult.

I knew a guy like that; he even would tell business associates about his colonoscopies or "severe" back pain. "Me,me,me."

It would make a wonderful character!
thanks stormie, I do think he's showing that whole, I'm so important and you just don't get it so let me explain this to you, syndrome

I'm having flashbacks to the Aspergers thread. *flinches*

It struck me as something of a social disorder. Difficulty recognizing boundaries.
A mutual friend says they suspect he has it. He's completely brilliant at maths, taught at a university for years. he's now a business consultant in another country.

Which is part why I bring this up. Is this cultural?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No, Wicked, I'd say not Aspergers. I have two sons and a nephew--all young adults, and I've read a lot about it. Yes, their social sense isn't quite there, but Cass' character and the person I knew was more very self-absorbed. Many Asperger's have a hard time with Facebook and MySpace and texting and IMing.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
No, Wicked, I'd say not Aspergers. I have two sons and a nephew--all young adults, and I've read a lot about it. Yes, their social sense isn't quite there, but Cass' character and the person I knew was more very self-absorbed. Many Asperger's have a hard time with Facebook and MySpace and texting and IMing.
now see that's what I thought too. but then, i think right now that Asperger's is the prescription pad diagnose of the last decade.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
thanks stormie, I do think he's showing that whole, I'm so important and you just don't get it so let me explain this to you, syndrome

A mutual friend says they suspect he has it. He's completely brilliant at maths, taught at a university for years. he's now a business consultant in another country.

Which is part why I bring this up. Is this cultural?

It doesn't sound like Aspergers. Being socially clueless and being in perpetual over-share mode is probably the hallmark of some other sort of disorder. From what I've ever understood, ASD tends to make people far less "chatty"...they may have trouble discerning social cues and trouble with interactions...but not so much the massive over-share and in-your-face sort of thing. If I understand it correctly.

You might try flipping through the DSM-IV. There are all sorts of personality disorders that fit the character you described in whole or in part.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
now see that's what I thought too. but then, i think right now that Asperger's is the prescription pad diagnose of the last decade.
Yes, I've noticed that. My sons were dxd way back when hardly anyone knew about it. Besides, Aspergers might be merged with autism and called "PDD." (Pervasive Developmental Disorder)

So, the character-- not Aspergers. Narcissistic--more likely.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
oh did I mention that he also wants to tell anyone who will listen why everything is his wife's fault. She's cold, unfeeling, dead emotionally, spiritually based in fundamentalism and unevolved and the list goes on. Nothing seems to be his fault.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like Aspergers. Being socially clueless and being in perpetual over-share mode is probably the hallmark of some other sort of disorder. From what I've ever understood, ASD tends to make people far less "chatty"...they may have trouble discerning social cues and trouble with interactions...but not so much the massive over-share and in-your-face sort of thing. If I understand it correctly.

You might try flipping through the DSM-IV. There are all sorts of personality disorders that fit the character you described in whole or in part.
okay I know I'm gonna get smacked for this but couldn't it just be he's a complete jerk?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
okay I know I'm gonna get smacked for this but couldn't it just be he's a complete jerk?

Hmm. Does he ever seem to recognize the fact he may have overstepped, and become uncomfortable, or try to make amends?

If not, I'm willing to go with jerk.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score

Yep. I'd agree. ASD and Aspie folks seem to have trouble picking up on why one would even bother with social media--let alone over use it. :)

They're probably better off than the rest of us in that aspect. Many are amazingly brilliant and living in their own universe. Makes you wonder if the social butterflies of the world aren't the ones with the real trouble ;)

Just my two bits...

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that would be like saying a teenage girl with Borderline Personality Disorder was just a brat. Tomato, tomahto. I think it's a matter of degree and disability.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score

I think jerk is the lay term for narcissist.

((waits to be smacked))

No, seriously, I'm a firm believer that we're all nuts and each person is disordered mentally to some varying degree.

We could all probably use some psychoactive drugs and cognitive behavioral therapy to fix our shortcomings...

But...if you're looking for a "what would a shrink call this guy"

My money is on narcissist or a personality disorder.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I go with ad lucem. And yep--we all have something or other. Well, except this guy I know who thinks he's absolutely God's chosen one. Oh, and then there's my neighbor, Mr.Manly-man....

See, Cass' character wouldn't even know he's got a problem or too. He's too wonderful!

Therefore, I vote narcissism (sp?)

Last edited:

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I think that would be like saying a teenage girl with Borderline Personality Disorder was just a brat. Tomato, tomahto. I think it's a matter of degree and disability.

True.

And I've gotta say... I read this wonderful book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0761900470/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting read... not that this guy is a girl... but I found it a good reminder of the way physiology can impact behavior and vice versa.

Our brains don't reside somewhere totally outside the system, ya know.

For an added twist, the guy could have experienced brain damage leading to personality changes. Stranger things have happened.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to see how his other friends on FB do things to decide on any of the FB stuff. If they do the same and enjoy it when he does, is it overshare or narcississtic? You might not be similar to his main clique. That's kind of an odd thing about social networking, I think.

It's kind of the same with e-mailing things. Is it a big group list?

I'm not saying he's not a jerk, lol, just that tastes in internet-related stuff differ considerably.