Love Triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello! It's my first time dabbling in romance, really. I'm sticking with my genre, but I want this to have more of a love interest in it. With that being said, I'm looking at my outline and I can't help but think how terrible I am at it.

My MC is fooling around with two brothers. They are opposite in almost every way, and the "perfect" qualities for my heroine are split between these two guys.

So my question is how do I do the love triangle right? I do know which one I want her to be with in the end, so do I make them meet first? Give one more stage time than the other?

-Any- advice given on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! It's my first time dabbling in romance, really. I'm sticking with my genre, but I want this to have more of a love interest in it. With that being said, I'm looking at my outline and I can't help but think how terrible I am at it.

My MC is fooling around with two brothers. They are opposite in almost every way, and the "perfect" qualities for my heroine are split between these two guys.

So my question is how do I do the love triangle right? I do know which one I want her to be with in the end, so do I make them meet first? Give one more stage time than the other?

-Any- advice given on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a love triangle in my books and I think the trick to not making readers hate you (well, as MUCH) is that you have to make all 3 characters likeable and rounded. You need to make it just as hard for the readers to choose between the guys. If you lean too much one way or another, people are going to hate it when you don't show enough of one character.

It's a tricky act to balance. I try to focus a bit more heavily on one hero than the other in each book in my series, and you do get comments that people 'miss' the character less prominent.

It also helps if both characters seem 'right' for the heroine. Like, making one a horrible screw-up (but sexy!) will just tick off readers because then people will wonder why she's with him.

A love triangle is ALWAYS a balancing act and not every reader is going to love it. Remember that and just do your best. :) And good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.