PDA

View Full Version : Plausible high school projects and transferring question

MonaLeigh
02-20-2010, 04:24 AM
I have three teenage female characters for my YA novel. I'm trying to figure out a way for them to meet and become friends without it being boring. One will be transferring to the school as a new student, and i was thinking the others will already go there. I really wanted the story to take place in summer/fall but it could start right before school lets out.

1. How late in the year would a kid transfer?

2. Would a teacher assign a project over summer break and group the three girls to work on it together?

Kilawher
02-20-2010, 04:29 AM
At my high school, we never had summer projects (aside from school-wide summer reading) because class changes were going on right until and sometimes after the start of school, and often the teachers didn't even know who would be in their classes until school started.

MonaLeigh
02-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. I'm just trying to come with a realistic way they can meet and become friends, even though they're so different and wouldn't normally be friends.

TheIT
02-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Are they in summer school together? It's been a while since I was in high school, but I ended up taking a math class during summer school so I could get the requirement out of the way and get into calculus my senior year. For me, the class was very boring since most everyone else was there because they had flunked the class and needed to take it again. I ended up playing tic-tac-toe with the girl next to me since we both finished our assignments so quickly.

Maybe the school district only offers one session of a class during summer school so students from different schools might be mixed together?

Or how about a volunteer opportunity like Habitat for Humanity? Sports or band?

MonaLeigh
02-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Oh, all great ideas, thanks! I didn't even think of summer school.

Tsu Dho Nimh
02-20-2010, 06:30 AM
Summer job? Summer arts program? Sports league?

Sarpedon
02-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Kids can transfer any time of the year. After all, parents don't just move in the spring and the fall. I believe there's a legal requirement to allow any time transferring.

I never had a summer project either. Some teachers would suggest things occasionally, in the same way that the State Department keeps suggesting that China review its human rights policies.

MonaLeigh
02-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I might go with summer school. I have a cousin who teaches high school and summer school, and can fill me in on summer school.

Fern
02-21-2010, 12:58 AM
I've had mutual acquaintenances call to set up kids meeting - - - one occasion was where my son was invited to a friend's birthday party and the birthday boy's mom called to see if I would bring my (older) daughter also, in order to introduce her to a girl new to the area who would also be her classmate.

Then there is always those chance encounters we have throughout life, like meeting on the feminine products aisle of the local grocery store and one of you accidentally knocks a bunch of tampons down and there the both of you stand amid tampon boxes all around you and the cutest boy in town happens by. Maybe he is even the brother of that 3rd girl and their dad owns the store and they're having to stock products so you all end up picking up the boxes together. Okay, sorry, sometimes my head runs away with itself, but you get the idea :Ssh:

Dawnny Baby
02-21-2010, 03:21 AM
school-wide summer reading
My kids have this, too. For every incoming 6-12th grader in their district, they have to read a book and do a report. (It can be written or a video, can use pictures, or not.) Specific book and difficulty level of report depends on grade level. Example: all 6th graders had to read "Hoot" by Carl Hiassen; all 12th graders had to read "The Life of Pi," except Honors English 12th graders, who had to read something else (I forgot what). Does that make sense?