PDA

View Full Version : police baton question

trocadero
02-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Do Americans say police baton? You know - the sticks that police use when charging into a riot behind their shield-thingies? I need to incorporate a little violence into my WIP and I'm not 100% sure of the lingo:)

Baton? Stick? Shield?

Thanks!

alleycat
02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I just checked with a police forum I'm a member of. They use baton; I'm doing a search now to see if they also use nightstick or just plain stick.

trocadero
02-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks!

alleycat
02-19-2010, 06:59 PM
It's looks like baton is the more correct term, but nightstick is often used as well. I suspect older cops use nightstick or stick informally, but I'm not sure.

trocadero
02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks - just what I need:)

alleycat
02-19-2010, 07:08 PM
If you just using the term in narration, then baton (or control or riot baton) would be the best choice. That's what they're also called by companies that sell them.

PeterL
02-19-2010, 08:09 PM
It depends on who you talking to. Nightstick, baton, truncheon, and club are all used sometimes.

smcc360
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
The new guys say 'baton', the old timers say 'nightstick', the real old timers say 'billy club', and for a riot, it's 'hats and bats' (helmet and baton).

Stanmiller
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I've heard stick and nightstick used as both noun and verb in conversation.

trocadero
02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I think I'll stick with baton. I only need to mention it once. Although the billy club does sound like a ton of fun. Thanks everyone.

Miguelito
02-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Use a modern weapon: an asp. My cop buddies use them them in their jobs. One snap of the wrist and something barely longer than your hand extends out into something baton-like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP,_Inc.

Sarpedon
02-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Bart: "Can I see your club?"
Lou: "Its called a baton, son."
Bart: "What's it for?"
Lou: "We club people with it."

Little Red Barn
02-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Most US police depts. have gone to ASP, a collapseable baton that stays on the utilty belt, whereas the old nightstick - baton (long--bulky) had to be placed on a ring hanging off utilty belt after getting out of the cruiser. They call them ASP's.

alleycat
02-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Remember though, he's using it in terms of riot gear.

I don't know whether a ASP would be used in that case. Most of the time when I see police on TV during a riot they are using an old-fashioned (long) control/riot baton. I'm not a cop, so I don't claim to be an expert on this.

RJK
02-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Years ago, we carried a baton made of ash, an inch and a quarter in diameter and about two feet long. We called it a night stick, because they weren't carried on the day shift. A Riot Baton is a little heavier about and inch and 3/8 in diameter and 30 inches long. We also carried a blackjack, an ounce or two of lead, covered in leather with a spring handle and a loop for over your wrist. They were removed from our arsenal after too many lawsuits and when MACE became available. Nowadays, the ASP and MACE are carried by most cops.

Rowan
02-21-2010, 02:19 AM
I always say "ASP" as that's what DEA issues... plus it sounds cool although some people think you're saying something, er...else. And one guy thought I was talking 'bout snakes. ;) I even have an ASP defender thing that's basically a mini-ASP with pepper spray! [Clearly, I need to get out more]

On a side note, the local SWAT unit that went out with us on raids carried ASPs too (local PD). It varies by jurisdiction but tactical batons are like guns: matter of personal preference. :)

Best of luck to you!

RJK: I didn't even recognize you with your new avi! :)

Little Red Barn
02-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Remember though, he's using it in terms of riot gear.

I don't know whether a ASP would be used in that case. Most of the time when I see police on TV during a riot they are using an old-fashioned (long) control/riot baton. I'm not a cop, so I don't claim to be an expert on this.

Ah. For riot, they use a Riot Stick. This is longer, thicker and heavier than a night stick or a baton. TV police is not the same as real-life police. ; )

ETA: I just now noticed you answered that, RJK, perfectly. :D

alleycat
02-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Ah. For riot, they use a Riot Stick. This is longer, thicker and heavier than a night stick or a baton. TV police is not the same as real-life police. ; )
I didn't mean TV dramas, I meant real riots and real cops.

hammerklavier
02-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Citizens generally do not call it a baton, we call it a (night)stick or (billy)club.

trocadero
02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Interesting. I think I'll just describe in terms of how my teen character sees it - she's never seen one before. Thanks everyone for your help:)