PDA

View Full Version : What are your writing quirks?

LiMeiLing
02-19-2010, 04:51 PM
My weirdest writing quirk is that I hate changing character or place names in my stories. I'd happily restructure an entire story before changing the name of one character. It's not a matter of difficulty. I know how to use find and replace. It's just that once I settle on a character or place's name, that's just their name. Any other name would feel wrong.

I'm really flexible about pretty much every other detail. And I like to think if an editor made a good argument for a name change, I'd do it. But I cringe at the thought. When I named the fantasy world in one of my novels, I didn't realize it was also the name of a city in Canada. It's not a well-known city, so maybe I'll get away with it. But it worries me because I really don't want to change the name. I don't even want to change the spelling.

However, for a new novel I'm writing, I thought of an alternate last name to the main characters because their last name is the brand name of a popular candy. I wasn't really trying to make an allusion to the candy; the name just sounded right. But another name just popped into my head in case there's a problem with the first.

Still, this is only one name out of many. So what are you're weird quirks? Anyone have the same problem as me? Or can you top me in weirdness?

Jamesaritchie
02-19-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm sure I have writing quirks, but I have no idea what they are, or I'd probably stop having them.

Namatu
02-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I try not to use the first/last names of any people I know. Ever. This can become rather difficult.

Mr Flibble
02-19-2010, 07:01 PM
When I start a story I almost invariably discover that what I thought was the start is, in fact, the end of the first act and I need to add extra chapters at the start.

ether
02-19-2010, 07:04 PM
I have the same quirk for names that the OP does. Not so much for places and things, but my main characters. One I have them down on paper, I can't bring myself to rename them. Non-major characters I can do it with, no problem. I have one in my first MS that went through like four renames before I settled on one.

I also have to force myself to write in order. I can't skip around and piece stuff together or it sounds terrible. Not only that, but I'd end up writing all the 'fun' scenes first and ignoring the slower ones and... nothing would ever get done. ;)

Chris P
02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm too wordy. I love split infinitives. My chapters are either 70 pages or two (no in between). I'm the same as other people with names.

backslashbaby
02-19-2010, 07:15 PM
I just posted about this, lol.

I like not having to explain everything right there in the same paragraph. I don't like having to 'over explain' things, but if the reader really wants/needs that, I'll do it because it's about their enjoyment.

So I have the darndest time weighing clarity issues.

Namatu
02-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I will write out of order if a scene strikes me. Otherwise it will go away and won't be as good when I get to it chronologically. My mind is not one to hold onto things for later. The best results are the fresh ones. Once I start thinking something through - scene, dialogue - I need to pull out the pen and start writing or kiss it goodbye.

HighDesertBrat
02-19-2010, 07:46 PM
When I start a story I almost invariably discover that what I thought was the start is, in fact, the end of the first act and I need to add extra chapters at the start.

I'm just the opposite. I usually find my first two chapters can be cut with no loss to the work. They tend to be things I need to know, rather than things the reader needs to know.

kaitie
02-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I write too long and have a tendency to be wordier than necessary. My current narrator is even wordier than I am, though, and I haven't quite figured out what to do with that yet as it's part of his style. I do pick fun at it every now and again, though.

Anyway, my other quirky things that I'm slowly but surely getting over are an overuse of the words "that", "small", and "thin." I also am not a fan of the word "said," and while I do use it it tends to be one of those things that mildly annoys me at the same time. ;) (I prefer not using anything at all, or using bumps. I'm not saying it in the replace with a word like "enunciated" sense). I don't like naming characters the first time, particularly in third person. No idea why.

I'm sure there are more but it's 1 in the morning.

Marian Perera
02-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a bad habit of overusing semi-colons; most of them have to be removed during edits.

Shadow_Ferret
02-19-2010, 08:06 PM
I can't think of any.

Kitty27
02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I am intensely flowery and come dangerously close to purple prose.

I HATE changing names and places. It infuriates me for some reason.

I will write entire chapters out of order if an idea takes hold.

I MUST make soundtracks for each novel and I must have music to write.

I cannot stand to have anybody in the room with me when I write.

I read out loud as I type and ask questions. I also answer myself. Yes,I am cuckoo.

I write much better at night. I really get outrageous on a rainy night. SOOO gothic. Sigh.

Mr Flibble
02-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I am intensely flowery and come dangerously close to purple prose.

*snicker* me too. I do an editing pass just for that!

scarletpeaches
02-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I write much better when tt42's online, even if we're not speaking to each other directly. Don't tell her, but I think she's my security blanket.

lucidzfl
02-19-2010, 09:38 PM
^^^ CReepy.

scarletpeaches
02-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Hmm. Yes. Her five publishing contracts in less than a year are creepy, too.

Oh, wait, no. I mean...PWNED.

lucidzfl
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I didn't say SHE was creepy :D

Cella
02-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I hate editing my own stuff for the fourth and fifth time. Does that count?

lucidzfl
02-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Is that a picture of you in a nightgown?

jilly61
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
I have to use my 'special' pen to address snail mail envelopes.

lucidzfl
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I have to use my 'special' pen to address snail mail envelopes.

Me too, I call it my wife. I can't handwrite for shit. I'm way too shaky.

Cella
02-19-2010, 09:56 PM
if you mean me, then nope. It's just a tank top. :rolleyes:

eat: sorry for the derail, OP.....

lucidzfl
02-19-2010, 10:04 PM
if you mean me, then nope. It's just a tank top. :rolleyes:

eat: sorry for the derail, OP.....

I think I'm responsible for the derail. Also, its funny, your smiley is looking up and in the opposite direction of your pic.

BTW, That is me in my avatar. Typing is a bitch.

Libbie
02-19-2010, 10:13 PM

^^CREEPY

;)

As for my writing quirks, there are certain words I use way too many freaking times, and have to go back later and root out and destroy. Very frustrating, since I TRY not to use them in the first place, but I always do. SIGH.

I need silence when I write, too. And I need to be either completely alone, or around total strangers. No music. White noise is acceptable (steamers at the local Starbucks, etc.) Silence is best. I do a lot of writing at the library for this reason. Absolutely no people I know can be near me, or I can't concentrate and am very self-conscious. This is why I am planning to live in a hermit hole very soon, and only come out in the evenings for socializing. Man, I'm gonna write SO MUCH when I'm all by myself!

lucidzfl
02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
^^CREEPY

;)

bahahaha. indeed!

LOG
02-19-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm sure I have writing quirks, but I have no idea what they are, or I'd probably stop having them.
What James said.

owlion
02-20-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't really know if it's a quirk, but the end of my stories always pops into my head very near the start and are always completely different from what I thought they would be ^^"
I write out of order when I get towards the end of the story, as it feels so close that it doesn't matter if I skip a little and go back to it later 'cause I know how it should be connected :)
I tend to doodle on paper next to me when I'm writing - well, when I take a quick break - and have drawn some of the best pictures on scraps of lined paper, which sucks...

Polenth
02-20-2010, 02:30 AM
According to my rejections, my stories are filled with quirks. So quirkiness is probably my quirk.

silvergarma
02-20-2010, 02:50 AM
i try not to change names, i don't like using names of people i know thats just strange. i like to write in the dark and in silence. i don't like other people in the room or near me when i write. it feels like they can see my thoughts. thats weird right. :)

aadams73
02-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Too often I sit here and write with a pen hanging out of my mouth. I guess that way I know where to find it if I need to jot down notes.

That's about as far as my writing quirks go though. Other than that, I just type.

The Lonely One
02-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Parenthesis. If you're not down with parenthesis, you're not down with me.

ishtar'sgate
02-20-2010, 06:49 AM
My writing quirk doesn't have anything to do with the actual writing, only my ritual before beginning. I write in longhand and in pencil so I begin each session by sharpening about 2 dozen pencils. I like them very sharp and change pencils as soon as they get a bit blunted. This is only for fiction. I don't write nonfiction in pencil or even in longhand most of the time.

PortableHal
02-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Writing at home, I need quiet. No TV, no music, nothin'.

Put me in a dentist office, with screaming kids and a power drill in play, and I have no trouble writing at all.

thethinker42
02-20-2010, 07:28 AM
I write much better when tt42's online, even if we're not speaking to each other directly. Don't tell her, but I think she's my security blanket.

What did I tell you about posting on AW before you've written another 1,000 words tonight? *points at chapter* Off you go. NOW.

thethinker42
02-20-2010, 07:38 AM
My quirks, they are many.

* I MUST have music, but I can't think if I can hear a television.
* I can't have anyone talking to or around me, but I write more if SP is online and IMing me.
* I write my books out of sequence. I write the individual chapters out of sequence. I even write paragraphs out of sequence. It's not unusual for the first sentence of a paragraph to be the last sentence I wrote.
* I'm obsessive about reaching word count goals (5,000 a day if I have to write them in blood)
* I (horrors) edit as I write.

Stlight
02-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Quirks-

I write easiest and best after dark. No idea why.

I create best in longhand, it puts the emotions in. Typing it later takes the excess emotion out. (envy to those who can create straight into the puter. Sigh)

Quirks I’ve conquered -

Dating chapters day, month, year, the re-writes screw this up soooo much. Never ever again.

Changing a character’s name after the first draft. The find and replace always - always misses some even when I add the punctuation for the searches. I would like to say never again, but this one will probably creep back up to the quirk section again.

Changing the main character’s gender after the 6 or 7 draft. It is so much more than name and pronouns, there is all that attitude stuff and the way others react to him now that he’s a she. Never again. Seriously.

maxmordon
02-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Quirks:

Having odd names; I am not having with a José or a Michael, names must have a significance and better yet if thet alliterative like Hamlet Hamstrong or F. Patrick Fitzpatrick, also anagrams and wordplays...

Writing at night, not mandatory but I feel I am far more productive during the nights than the day, perhaps it's the calm, who knows.

Quirks I have overcome:

Quoting, I used to put random quotes over all the WIP for no reason. Thankfully I passed that stage.

MJ Goodnow
02-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I guess for me it is writing while listening to Metallica or some heavy metal band...but on the other hand, quite possibly, I am ruthless in my writing. Death and blood. Damn it, I put an entire galaxy in a holocaust. Yes, ruthless.

axlbullet
02-20-2010, 09:22 AM
I have to be in a room all by myslef, or else i can't write, does that count

I'm also a bad boy, and like to put commas everywhere ^^;
but im trying to stop

maxmordon
02-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Just tought in another big one: drawing.

I don't mean the ocassional drawing here or there but drawing landscapes, characters but most of all drawing flags and logos. I know which the top-selling cigarrete brand where my characters roam and I have never needed to mention it so far.

willietheshakes
02-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't have quirks -- I have personality.

Or, personalities, really.

LiMeiLing
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
I try not to use the first/last names of any people I know. Ever. This can become rather difficult.

I'm usually like this but I don't change the names if I meet the person after I made the character. I also admittedly used the name of someone I once hated as a sort of vengeance.

I also have to force myself to write in order. I can't skip around and piece stuff together or it sounds terrible. Not only that, but I'd end up writing all the 'fun' scenes first and ignoring the slower ones and... nothing would ever get done. ;)

LOL, another thing we have in common!

I write too long and have a tendency to be wordier than necessary. My current narrator is even wordier than I am, though, and I haven't quite figured out what to do with that yet as it's part of his style. I do pick fun at it every now and again, though.

Well, at least you're good at cutting afterwards. :)

Quirks-

I write easiest and best after dark. No idea why.

I create best in longhand, it puts the emotions in. Typing it later takes the excess emotion out. (envy to those who can create straight into the puter. Sigh)

Changing a character’s name after the first draft. The find and replace always - always misses some even when I add the punctuation for the searches. I would like to say never again, but this one will probably creep back up to the quirk section again.

I'm also a night owl. :)

And I'm actually the exact opposite in that I can't write longhand. My handwriting is so bad it even depresses me just to see it and quite honestly I never learned to hold a pen properly, so I get blisters and terrible writer's cramp. But when I'm somewhere where the battery life of my laptop is dying or just somewhere inappropriate for a computer I really wish I could be comfortable writing longhand. But I'm too used to the flexibility of the word processor and I hate retyping things, so I probably still wouldn't do it much.

My find and replace always works fine. I do have a different program than most, but my suggestion would be to fiddle with the controls a bit. If it's missing some, it's probably just those with apostrophes. I recommend unchecking the options that match whole words and even the ones that match case (unless the name is a root word like Chris that might be in something else like Christmas). Those limiting options sometimes do funny things that you wouldn't expect them to.

LilliCray
02-20-2010, 05:40 PM
I use the word "back" WAY too much. Sometimes I have a problem with "just." And I tend to start all my sentences with the subject, which drives me crazy because I have nooooo idea how to fix it.

Oh, and about names... I absolutely have to have the *perfect* name before I start writing. If I'm having real problems with a particular character's name, sometimes I'll settle for the almost-right name. But it's not such a great thing since I've lost one or two stories because I waited too long to write them, as the character's perfect name didn't come to me quickly enough.

Also, I absolutely CANNOT write out of order. I mean, sometimes I can, but it's really, really rare. That's part of what killed my JaNo story--transitions kill me. Ugh.

Midnight Star
02-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Coffee. I find I write better while i am drinking a cup of coffee. I don't know what's up with that...

Rainy days. They give off a better environment to write in.

If I'm writing a scene with a particular mood, I'll find a song on my iPod that matches that mood. For example, I'll listen to a sappy love song while writing a romantic scene. It helps.

My cat. Having her in the room seems to help me write. She likes to snuggle up next to my laptop.

Kitty27
02-20-2010, 07:55 PM
*snicker* me too. I do an editing pass just for that!

Lol!

I will get completely out of hand if I don't watch myself.

Mel
02-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't have quirks -- I have personality.

Or, personalities, really.

This.

LiMeiLing
02-21-2010, 12:58 PM
If I'm writing a scene with a particular mood, I'll find a song on my iPod that matches that mood. For example, I'll listen to a sappy love song while writing a romantic scene. It helps.

I'm the same way. But I also almost only listen to music when I write, so sometimes I'll get a little tired of listening to a certain type of music but I keep having to to set the mood for my writing! :P

A lot of people have mentioned fixations on certain words too. I have a real problem overusing "though." And I think I mention people's eyes a bit too much.

bettielee
02-21-2010, 01:43 PM
I need my coffees.

Also, I have this thing about names. I hate using an awesome name on a small tiny character of no significance. I know, it's terrible.

kaitie
02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm the same way. But I also almost only listen to music when I write, so sometimes I'll get a little tired of listening to a certain type of music but I keep having to to set the mood for my writing! :P

Oh man I'm having this problem right now! I've only got one cd that fits the mood of this story perfectly. The last story I had probably five or six, so it was much easier to just put something on. Now, I'm someone who can listen to the same thing multiple times, but I'd really just love to find another three or four that fit this character so I could have more options.

backslashbaby
02-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I can't listen to music when I write unless it's instrumental. I can have most any channel on, though. I listen to the lyrics too much with songs.

But I wrote lyrics more than anything for many years, so that's got to be it.

Dorian W. Gray
02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
My keyboard refuses to type it for me, my fingers won't touch the keyboard, and my brains freezes.

The endless conspiracies!

Nivarion
02-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I must have loud music and a dark room to write.

Doesn't matter what the music is, a Gregorian chant or death metal. I must not be able to hear the outside world.

Or see it. Nothing can be moving around me either.

M.Austin
02-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I spend all my time obsessing over outlines when my best work comes off the top of my head and surprises me. (More like my character tells me he doesn't want to do it that way. He wants to do it this way.)

So mid-novel my outline completely changes. I obsess to re-write it. Three chapters later another brilliant, yet surprising idea comes.

Annoys the hell outta me, but I'm going to quit complaining. ^_^

LiMeiLing
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh man I'm having this problem right now! I've only got one cd that fits the mood of this story perfectly. The last story I had probably five or six, so it was much easier to just put something on. Now, I'm someone who can listen to the same thing multiple times, but I'd really just love to find another three or four that fit this character so I could have more options.

Have you tried Pandora radio (http://www.pandora.com/?) It's helped me find a lot of music that's at least in the same mood. Mostly I have a hard time because I end up listening to a lot of melancholy rock or film scores. Plenty to choose from on Pandora but all in the same mood. I'd love to be able to listen to more upbeat stuff from time to time but that so rarely fits the mood of my stories. Not that it's all sad. I like to think I have a healthy humorous side. But I can write humor while listening to serious music whereas I can't write serious scenes while listening to fun music. Oh well.

kaitie
02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I have different music for different scenes, too. I also tend toward soundtracks, but it just depends on what I'm going for at the moment. I'll check out the radio. I don't really hear new music at all unless someone introduces me to it, so that might help a lot.

E. S. Lark
02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh boy, where do I start?

1. I must have music and it must flow with the book I am working on
2. I cannot have tv on and I cannot have anyone else in the room
3. If DH is home and I want to write, I throw on the headphones and he knows not to bother me. I cannot write when he talks to me. I get annoyed by the interruptions.
4. I edit as I write as well.
5. I read over a chapter I just finished writing and if the flow is off, rewrite it, reread, rinse and repeat until done
6. I write more when my characters do the talking. They say I worry too much.
7. I hate dialogue tags and cannot stand using 'said' even though I do
8. I tend to describe what my characters are doing while they are talking. This might become a problem.
9. I change POV in some points. I know what everyone is thinking. I am trying to change this.
10. I will stop writing a chapter if dialogue pops in my head for something later on down the road. These scenes and snips of dialogue are added onto the end of the MS. I will use them when my chapters have caught up.
11. I outline as I am writing. See above.

LiMeiLing
02-26-2010, 05:20 PM
I have different music for different scenes, too. I also tend toward soundtracks, but it just depends on what I'm going for at the moment. I'll check out the radio. I don't really hear new music at all unless someone introduces me to it, so that might help a lot.

Yeah, it's great. I forgot to explain how it works. I'm sure they walk you through it on the site, but you basically create your own radio stations that generate music you should like based on music you pick. For example, say you liked soundtracks by Hans Zimmer. You would put in the name "Hans Zimmer" and Pandora would play songs that are musically similar to the work of Hans Zimmer as well as works by him. You have the option to add more artists, or to even just input specific songs you like instead of artists and to rate the songs that pop up on your station. If you rate a song poorly, it never pops up again. Pandora has almost every artist and song I've ever typed in, so it shouldn't be too hard establishing a base. I love Pandora so I hope you enjoy! :)

PoppysInARow
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm the same with character names. It just feels wrong to change them when I've decided on them.

Also, if I get stuck, I like to go back and act out what the last thing my character did. So I'll say a line of dialogue out loud, or mimic his body movement-- whatever, just to get into his head a little better.

No outragous dragon-fights in my living room though. At least, not yet. ;)

TNK
03-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I like others, can not change a character's name once I find it. If I change the name, it changes the character.

I found out three years ago I can only write in chronological order during Nanowrimo. It's not like I don't want to skip ahead, I just can't.

Finally, if a certain song, or cd, sparks an idea, helps the story flow, excreta, I'll play that song or cd on repeat while I'm writing until I can't stand to listen to it anymore.

leahzero
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm obsessed with metaphor and simile, probably due to the fact that I love (and also write) poetry. I use metaphor liberally in my work, and it's the strongest and most distinctive aspect of my writing, IMO.

Nothing in writing excites me more than making the synaptic connection between two disparate images, each illuminating the other in startling ways. Metaphor creates new ways of looking at the universe. It evokes a revelatory lyricism that is unique to the written word--a way of comparing and creating relationships between things that hints at the entangled nature of our very existence, this fine-spun mesh interwoven with filaments of dream, observation, and memory.

The problem is, when I'm writing, I'll get to a point where I feel a metaphor/simile trying to emerge from the prose, and if I'm not lucky enough to articulate it quickly, I can stall for hours. Once I know that my unconscious mind grazed against a metaphor, it's nearly impossible to let it go, or to continue writing. Sometimes I am so stubborn about it that I just have to walk away from the work and come back to it another day.

I also have a fondness for the Sudden, Unpredictable Death (TM). I'm fascinated by adventitious impulses in human beings, and the caprice of nature that suffers us to live.

Witch_turtle
03-02-2010, 03:33 AM
My biggest "quirk" is this: I write a novel. I say, "time to edit!" And then I proceed to utterly, irreparably, yet unintentionally, destroy it. No novel I have ever written has turned out for the better after my edits. In fact, they've always been so extremely defiled I leave them in a ruined heap and pretend I never wanted to finish that one anyway.

My current WIP is going through this "editing" stage right now. I LOVE this book more than any other I've written before, so I'm desperately trying to UNquirk myself and really do it justice. Needless to say I'm stressed to the limits about it. *Cries*

But I do have some other, less detrimental, quirks. Can't write with the TV on, can't write on paper (though I love the feel of writing longhand, I just can't get anything out fast enough. I am a typing-cheetah). I absolutely cannot use the name of someone I know in my stories, which has been known to cause problems. When I was still in school, a new kid came to class one day, and he had the same name as one of my characters. I immediately had to change that characters name. More recently, my uncle's wife got pregnant and one of the names they chose for their potential girl was a name in my novel. I changed the name in my novel. They didn't even end up having a girl.

Noah Body
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm a hack who apparently still believes there's nothing wrong with passive voice and copious adverbs. And I hate the endless editing that I need to go undergo to get rid of all the crap mentioned above. I believe the generic term for this condition is "laziness".

SPMiller
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Sparse prose occasionally bordering on beige. Often with short sentences.

jennontheisland
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
An inappropriate adoration for the purple prose of 80s trashy romance. My self editing requires the removal of a lot of lavender.

I write historical romance/eroitca while listening to death metal.

kuwisdelu
03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I've discovered I generally have to wear pants to write. I've tried writing pants-less, but it's never quite worked out for me.

brainstorm77
03-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I was bad at first for going back and editing what I previously wrote. Now I take down notes instead of doing that and teck through until the first draft is finished.

jennontheisland
03-02-2010, 09:14 PM
I've discovered I generally have to wear pants to write. I've tried writing pants-less, but it's never quite worked out for me.
LOL

Funny, I never thought about it, but I don't think I've ever written while wearing a bra.

brainstorm77
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Bras are evil.

brokenfingers
03-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I have a somewhat different quirk.

I carve a line in my arm and allow the blood to drip onto a white candle I’ve consecrated to Seshat, the ancient Goddess of Writing. I can only write while this candle is burning.

If by some chance, the candle goes out and I happened to unwittingly continue writing, I must then go out and sacrifice a Walmart worker to atone for my sin.

kuwisdelu
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever written while wearing a bra either.

Rowan
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I burn a "Muses" candle when I write---it has a citrus scent. :) And I use "that" a lot. Have to go back and do a find/delete at the end of each chapter...

brokenfingers: As a pagan, I'm curious. Are you taking a piss here or what?

Posted by brokenfingers: I carve a line in my arm and allow the blood to drip onto a white candle I’ve consecrated to Seshat, the ancient Goddess of Writing. I can only write while this candle is burning.

If by some chance, the candle goes out and I happened to unwittingly continue writing, I must then go out and sacrifice a Walmart worker to atone for my sin.

aadams73
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Funny, I never thought about it, but I don't think I've ever written while wearing a bra.

Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever written while wearing a bra either.

I wear two; my writing needs all the support it can get.

sheadakota
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure if these are quirks, but they annoy the hell out of me when I edit;

Comma splices which result in run-on sentences
Sentence fragments- which come from fixing the run-ons
Too many uneeded dialogue tags
inconsitancies when I write- example, capitalizing a title in one sentence and not in the next and then abriviating it later on.

I don't like to change names either- I once did a search and replace for a characters names Matters- since matters is used in places other than a name I ended up with sentences like this-
"its all that Casner," (Casner was the replacement name)

Nicole.Kazi
03-04-2010, 05:47 AM
I write best when I'm in class. This has been true in elementary, middle and high school and now even college. Something about half paying attention and half writing just WORKS for me, I don't know why. I also need music sometimes. Or I write while watching TV. Multitasking seems to be the way to go for me. xD

Chasing the Horizon
03-09-2010, 03:39 AM
So glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't change main characters' names after I've created them. I thought I was the only one with this problem. :D My excuse is that, since I have no character notes, I use their names to keep track of all their traits. If I change the name, I begin to forget all the traits that went with it.

EFCollins
03-09-2010, 03:53 AM
I just said something about this the other day too. I can't exactly remember where (it may even have been another forum) but...

When I start a story, throughout the duration of writing on that particular story, my ashtray has to have the same (not exact same, but it has to hold the approximate amount of) ashes and butts as when I started out... until I type the end. My coffee cup has to be in the same spot as when I started. And yes, this means emptying my ashtray if I switch to a story that had no butts in the beginning, or waiting until I've smoked enough stogies to build it up where it needs to be--and moving my cup around accordingly. And no, I didn't realize I did this until someone pointed out. Their pointing it out did not change it.

In the text itself, though... it seems my pinkie is obsessed with the apostrophe key if there is an "S" nearby and I use parentheses far too much.

shaldna
03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I write everything longhand first. Everything.

My brain just can't function when looking at a computer screen.

finnisempty
03-27-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't like writing in public and I don't carrying around a small notebook or pamphlet to scribble down ideas. Sometimes I remember the ideas and sometimes I don't. It's not a big deal to me.

Typically my first draft is hand written.

I love to use repetitions.

I write run on and long sentences.

Jamie Stone
03-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one who can't write with someone else in the room! Unfortunately I also can't seem to get past my first chapter or so on any WIP because I have the annoying urge to go back and edit or totally rewrite. >>;

wrangler
04-12-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm either too wordy or concise.

dgiharris
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I always write best when I have too many things to do and no time for writing.

Whenever I have all the time in the world, my writing suffers :(

Mel...

jennifer williams
04-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I always pick out celebrities or photo bases for my characters before I even start writing. And then I have a folder with saved pictures of each "character" and when I feel stuck, I often turn the pictures on a slide show on my computer. :) I don't know why, but for some reason it makes me feel closer to the characters and I could write better when I "see" them.

Crazy? Yeah, I think so too lol

thethinker42
04-13-2010, 03:40 AM
I always pick out celebrities or photo bases for my characters before I even start writing. And then I have a folder with saved pictures of each "character" and when I feel stuck, I often turn the pictures on a slide show on my computer. :) I don't know why, but for some reason it makes me feel closer to the characters and I could write better when I "see" them.

Crazy? Yeah, I think so too lol

I do the same thing. Not always a celebrity, just a photo. The visual does wonders for some reason.

Mr Flibble
04-13-2010, 04:04 AM
I do the same thing. Not always a celebrity, just a photo. The visual does wonders for some reason.

And is also an excuse to have piccies of hot men adorn my walls:D

Like I need an excuse. Yup do the same too.

brokenfingers
04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
brokenfingers: As a pagan, I'm curious. Are you taking a piss here or what?I think it's obvious by my line about "sacrificing a Walmart worker" that I'm totally serious.

Mr Flibble
04-13-2010, 04:23 AM
I think it's obvious by my line about "sacrificing a Walmart worker" that I'm totally serious.

I have to say you've got it totally wrong and are completely representing my faith

I only sacrifice MacDonalds workers.

Mostly

brokenfingers
04-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Heretic.

Mr Flibble
04-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Actually, no. :D