The word "retard" in fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Recently a story of mine was accepted in which a character (non-narrator) used the word "retard" to insult the narrator. After the acceptance and re-reading the story, I felt it DID fit the character's persona, but went back and edited twice (I'm sure the editor hates me by now) to ensure readers got that the narrator didn't endorse the word, only responded to it. I didn't turn it into an after-school special but made sure the point was across that the narrator didn't use the word and thought the other character was "an insensitive kind of guy" for doing so.

My question to you all is, what impact does the use of this word have on: 1.) a story 2.) an author 3.) a publication 4.) the reading public? Should we avoid it altogether, or is it better to have unlikable characters say what they would naturally say?

I thought, if my narrator WAS the kind of guy to use the word, I wouldn't personally find that person worth following or writing about. He'd be irredeemable and readers wouldn't want to get behind him/her.

But what do you think? There's a campaign out there (I forget the specifics) that boycotts all media that uses the word. I'm not so extreme as to censor the use of words when they are necessary or important to story development, but feel it's important to...be extremely, carefully clear with what context you intend to use potentially harmful words like "retard, nigger, kike, faggot" etc. I don't use main characters that use words like that, but occasionally others around the MC do speak that way, and I feel it'd be wrong to censor them.

Where do you draw the line? How do you tackle this issue?

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I let my characters say whatever they want to. It's their stories I'm telling.

If my readers think I AM my characters, then maybe they should go read Winnie the Pooh.

In broader terms, I don't think political correctness has any place in fiction. That's just deceitful, and writers write about the truth. People use these words, and they MEAN by these words. We may not agree with them, but these people exist. As writers, I believe in presenting the world as it is, and not color-filter it to be politically correct. At least not in characterization.

Last edited:

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Reader sensibilities don't even enter into brane when I write. Somebody will always be offended by something, it seems. I don't even worry about it.

Also, I read Winnie the Pooh and I am offended by maestro's comment. :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me personally, it's not totally taboo, but I don't really like to read it. I think there are very few occasions where it adds anything to a work. If it did, then I think it's okay. And the way people use it in casual conversation is really, really nasty...and no amount of saying "OH BUT WE AREN'T REFERRING TO ACTUAL COGNITIVELY IMPAIRED PEOPLE" can change the fact that it's nasty. IMO the less it is repeated, the less people will use it.

For instance, the South Park kids call each other "retard" ALL the time, and while I don't really love it, it feels okay to me because 1. South Park rags on everybody and 2. South Park is one of very very very very few shows to actually portray cognitively disabled people as actual characters and not objects of pity to cheesily inspire the other characters. For example, Timmy, who only says two words and uses a power wheelchair --he travels through time, fronts a heavy metal band, acts in the school play, and his impairment is never really ridiculed, he's just another character. Or the "Special Olympics" episode, where a kid with Down syndrome is selling steroids to the other kids, and Eric tries to be a ringer but he can't beat any of the kids who have disabilities. Hilarious, and not mean nor cheesy.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
For instance, the South Park kids call each other "retard" ALL the time, and while I don't really love it, it feels okay to me because 1. South Park rags on everybody and 2. South Park is one of very very very very few shows to actually portray cognitively disabled people as actual characters and not objects of pity to cheesily inspire the other characters. For example, Timmy, who only says two words and uses a power wheelchair --he travels through time, fronts a heavy metal band, acts in the school play, and his impairment is never really ridiculed, he's just another character. Or the "Special Olympics" episode, where a kid with Down syndrome is selling steroids to the other kids, and Eric tries to be a ringer but he can't beat any of the kids who have disabilities. Hilarious, and not mean nor cheesy.

Not to mention how they'd further lampshaded this kind of use of language with their "faggot" episode.

I've known gay people use the word fag to insult people. I've known mentally disabled people use the world retarded to insult things, too.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's right when a character commits murder but I'm not going to censor it either.

BTW, the proper clinical term du jour is "developmental disability."

EG

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention how they'd further lampshaded this kind of use of language with their "faggot" episode.

I've known gay people use the word fag to insult people. I've known mentally disabled people use the world retarded to insult things, too.

The "faggot" episode didn't really work for me, though I usually agree with whatever point they are trying to make on that show. A group (straight obnoxious small boys) can't claim that an insulting name for another group (gay people) no longer means what it means. They would never try to say that about the n-word (even though south park has done an episode about the n-word).

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
When a writer starts to worry about writing with politically correct terminology, I feel that a layer of credibility is stripped away from the characters. I tell the authors I edit to just call it what it is--let the character behave the same way that people like him behave in real life. If he calls people 'retards'--and I'm thinking that just about everyone has used that term in casual conversation--then just let him do it. I have a character who's a whore--acts like a whore, thinks like a whore, smells like a whore and talks like a whore. That doesn't mean I am --

--whichever one of you is about to follow up at on that comment this moment, can it! --

--not in the slightest. What it means is that I, as a writer, have recognized the attributes of my character and are portraying them as accurately as I can with an eye to the integrity of that character and her world. Make sense?

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's right when a character commits murder but I'm not going to censor it either.

EG

...except for when it's not. Depending on who you ask, it can be "cognitive disability", "cognitive impairment", "intellectual disability", or "intellectual impairment". And no, these words are not exactly synonymous. My partner works in the field and it's hard to keep up!

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
I let my characters say whatever they want to. It's their stories I'm telling.

If my readers think I AM my characters, then maybe they should go read Winnie the Pooh.

In broader terms, I don't think political correctness has any place in fiction. That's just deceitful, and writers write about the truth. People use these words, and they MEAN by these words. We may not agree with them, but these people exist. As writers, I believe in present the world as it is, and not color-filter it to be politically correct. At least not in characterization.

This makes a lot of sense, and I am as hesitant to censor my work as I assume you are. However, not regarding characters in general but MCs specifically: do you worry about the potential rat's nest--because you as an author chose this specific character as one readers should follow and root for, and yet they are insensitive to certain groups?

In my case, the character who said the word is an unlikable character, and is a secondary character as well. He's static throughout. But I, as a reader, can't put my own emotions and sensibilities into an MC that believes in speaking this way. I question the strength of mind of an MC to overcome adversity when they are so insensitive and childish in their everyday sensibilities. So perhaps that is why I wonder, what would one risk (in reader sensibilities) using an MC of this nature?

Or do you see a difference between the standard you hold to your MC and other characters?

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
In other words, I don't want to censor characters in general, but have certain standards of what kind of MC I think is worth pursuing and showing as a "hero." Characters say what they want, but when on the one hand a character in my story may say "retard," his choice to do so would (usually) exclude him from being MC material, IMO.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

EG

If so, that makes me a retard, too.

...except for when it's not. Depending on who you ask, it can be "cognitive disability", "cognitive impairment", "intellectual disability", or "intellectual impairment". And no, these words are not exactly synonymous. My partner works in the field and it's hard to keep up!

That.

The "faggot" episode didn't really work for me, though I usually agree with whatever point they are trying to make on that show. A group (straight obnoxious small boys) can't claim that an insulting name for another group (gay people) no longer means what it means. They would never try to say that about the n-word (even though south park has done an episode about the n-word).

It's about connotation versus denotation.

The way I take it is that trying to fight connotation sometimes is just silly, like telling two black friends to stop calling each other my nigga or something because to other people it's derogatory.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We do have a choice to tell the kind of stories or characters we want. If you have a problem with characters who say "retard" then don't. However, if you do choose to write about such characters, then be honest about them, good, bad, evil... Like someone said, you don't have write about murderers or cannibals, but if you do, then don't sugarcoat them and make them something else, just because someone might find that offensive (however, your other characters could find that offensive!!!). Where would Hannibal Lecter be if Harris censored him?

Harris, however, is free to choose to NOT write about such a character. And readers are free to choose to read it or not.

Just one word of advice, TLO: stop worrying about who you should please and who will be offended. That's not your job. Your job is to tell a great story with great characters as best as you can, as truthfully as you can.

Characters say what they want, but when on the one hand a character in my story may say "retard," his choice to do so would (usually) exclude him from being MC material, IMO.

Is there some kind of tests? If you're politically incorrect you can't be the hero? Or main character? Or the love interest?

Where will that test be taken?

I mean, for crying out loud, Holden Caufield is considered one of most memorable protagonists in literary history and that kid is far from being cute, nice and politically correct. And yet there he is, a star.

Write the damned characters the way they should be.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the character would really say something that offensive, then it's cool. The problem comes in when it is seen as more like "idiot" when it is actually more like the n word on the scale of nastiness.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I just wish there were a more derogatory name for Injuns so I could throw it around more....

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I put down books if we are supposed to identify with the MC, yet he is offensive to a certain level. I specifically remember an MC thinking about women often "as just holes". Nope, not if I'm supposed to like him.

The bad guys can be brilliantly bad, but a 'good' MC better not be too alienatiing.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
One person's idea of alienating is always different from another's.

Very true. It's hard to balance, sometimes. But we were supposed to find this guy really cool, clearly. And that just wasn't going to happen for me reading thoughts like that so often.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think if a writer leaves it more ambiguous, it's fine. So no 'hero'. Just an interesting story about an interesting man. I love that. But many readers want an actual hero, one they can identify with, so that's a bit different.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
This one always bugged me, but it doesn't bug everyone.

I call myself a redskin sometimes, too. It sounds more casual than Injun, though. "Native American" is such a mouthful when people ask me what the heck I am, and there are too many actually-from-India Indians around here for to just say Indian...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think if a writer leaves it more ambiguous, it's fine. So no 'hero'. Just an interesting story about an interesting man. I love that. But many readers want an actual hero, one they can identify with, so that's a bit different.

Yeah. The former is where I'm coming from. I never write about heroes. Just people.

Every character I write is the hero of his or her own story. I try not to write any characters I couldn't write a whole novel about if I needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.