So, riddle me this...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Why in the heck would a website work and show up just fine on one computer, but still not work on another?

I'm building a new website (sorry no link just yet) so I bought a new domain name yesterday. Well, it took some time for the domain to acclimate to the new servers, so all day yesterday I got an error screen going to the home screen of the new site.

But when I got home, the site worked and opened fine on my computer. I even did a little work on it last night.

But this morning I get in and it's still giving me the same error screen I had yesterday.

It's not a cookie problem...I've deleted my history and cookies and everything on this computer.

I don't think it's a browser issue because I'm using IE on both computers.

Anybody got any thoughts on why this might be?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to have this ported over to tech help. Although I'm sure you'll get some good answers here.

My guess would be filters on the computer that wouldn't open the site. If it was a work computer many times they have blocks on the computer system to prevent people from accessing many sites.

If it's not a work computer it might be a firewall issue.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to have this ported over to tech help. Although I'm sure you'll get some good answers here.

My guess would be filters on the computer that wouldn't open the site. If it was a work computer many times they have blocks on the computer system to prevent people from accessing many sites.

If it's not a work computer it might be a firewall issue.

First thing that came to my mind was firewall, next filters. Good luck!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Someone on another forum said that it may just be that the ISP on this particular computer has outdated DNS servers (or something like that) so it may take a little longer for the domain to propagate through their servers as opposed to the servers on my home computer.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
there are IT professionals around here that will tell that you a have an

I D 10T problem.

I'm not one of those people though.
:D

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Someone on another forum said that it may just be that the ISP on this particular computer has outdated DNS servers (or something like that) so it may take a little longer for the domain to propagate through their servers as opposed to the servers on my home computer.

That likely is the problem. The DNS system is archaic unfortunately. You generally have to allow for 48 hours before it all works fine.

Alternatively, you can go to http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Tools/nslookup.php

And type in the domain name. No http, just "google.com" or whatever. See if it comes back.