PDA

View Full Version : Something of an Accomplishment

alaskamatt17
08-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Today I received my first personal comments from an editor since I was fifteen!

A magazine I submitted to responded: Thank you for submitting "Borealis" to XXXX. It was well received here, but after some thought we have decided not to accept it for publication. The prose style sometimes seemed overwrought, and the choice of the boy to be the main POV character didn't work for me.

Cabinscribe
08-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Congratulations!

Your submission must have been very good to have generated a personal response like that!

alaskamatt17
08-10-2005, 06:03 AM
Thanks. I just got another rejection (Two ine one day, the horror!). This one didn't have a comment. Oh well, time to send out my next story. ...

black winged fighter
08-10-2005, 11:17 PM
A personal response - even if it is a rejection - must be wonderful. All that lies ahead of me still....
So congrats, and good luck. Hope the accpetances start rolling on in...

Simran
08-12-2005, 05:52 AM
That's great! Stay positive and keep writing. The acceptance letters will be on their way if you persevere. :)

alaskamatt17
08-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Wow! I got another letter back from the same 'zine on a different story I sent them after the last one was rejected. This time I got 362 words of commentary! I feel like I'm getting so close to getting published.

Simran
08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Wow! I got another letter back from the same 'zine on a different story I sent them after the last one was rejected. This time I got 362 words of commentary! I feel like I'm getting so close to getting published.

362 words? WOW! See you are getting closer to being published. Keep sending those stories out there...it'll happen! :)

alaskamatt17
08-18-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! The most exciting part of getting all that commentary was that I knew the editor had read to the end because she gave suggestions about altering the climax. I've heard that more often than not editors reject stories within the first three paragraphs.

Simran
08-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! The most exciting part of getting all that commentary was that I knew the editor had read to the end because she gave suggestions about altering the climax. I've heard that more often than not editors reject stories within the first three paragraphs.

That's great! And she even gave you suggestions? - even better.

I've heard that too. You have to grab their attention right at the outset. Obviously, you held her attention right through. With a little tweaking you'll have it published soon for sure.