Final Draft 7 and Windows 7

trucherrygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi, I have a question about Final Draft 7 and Windows 7. I had Final Draft 7 on my old PC laptop, which had Windows XP and was perfectly fine with FD 7. I recently got a new PC laptop, now running Windows 7, and installed Final Draft 7 on my new laptop. The program itself works fine, but when I go to 'Save as PDF' it comes up with an error message. I went to the troubleshooting section of the Final Draft website and it said that I'd have to either upgrade or use a free PDF program. I downloaded Cute PDF, which saves my script as a PDF file, but not the title page. And I don't see a 'save with title page' or 'print with title page' option when I go to save the document using the free PDF software. Anyone know how to help with this?

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I can help

(NOTE: I do not know what you can do with Cute PDF. But you ought to see the Include Title Page option. With the Final Draft script open, click FILE | PRINT... You ought to see the print dialog. In the lower right you see the option for the title page.)

In any case, here is a solution that will work:

STEP 1: Download the free PrimoPDF.

STEP 2: Download my article on using PrimoPDF to join two files.

STEP 3: Use the instructions in my short, illustrated article to see how to create a single PDF by creating, first, the title page and then appending a PDF of the script to it.

To explain the steps in a nutshell:

You "print" the title page with a name, any name, like MyTitlePage.pdf.

Then you "print" the script and use the same name as the title page, but you use the APPEND function within PrimoPDF to join the the second file to the first. You are creating a second PDF with the same name and appending it to the end of the first:

MyTitlePage {really the title page} + MyTitlePage {really the script}

You have to use the same name. After you join the two, you can rename the PDF file to anything you want. It works. I just walked somebody through this on Done Deal Pro a few days ago.

IMPORTANT: When you use Final Draft to print the script to PDF with drivers like PrimoPDF, you have to uncheck the Include Title Page option. If you do not uncheck it, you will only get the title page, for some reason.

PrimoPDF will install itself as a "printer" in your printer list. When you go to print your title page and script, click PRINT. This takes you to the Final Draft print dialog window. Select PrimoPDF from the list of printers. You will also see a place to check/uncheck the option to Include Title Page.

If this does not work for you, send me an email.

[email protected]

Last edited: