Response time for short story

Status
Not open for further replies.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the response time is for Zyzzyva? I submitted a story there and I want to know how long is their response time. I couldn't find anything relating to that on their website. Thank you.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Per ralan.com, their response time is "prompt."

Per the Black Hole, their response time in 2004 (N=2) averaged 35 days.

YMMV.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Unimportant. Very useful web sites, I didn't know about them. I went to the ralan website but didn't see zyzzyva, where did you find that? Also, what is black hole? Another web site? What is the address? Thanks.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Do similar web sites exist for non-Science Fiction writers? A site that tracks how long it takes for a publication to respond to you and whether they accept your piece or not. I imagine the reason people were getting rejected so much was because most of the journals they were submitting to do not publish science fiction. Thanks.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At ralan.com, click on "paying markets" from the list at the upper right side of the page. Then scroll down to the bottom to find the zzz listings.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ralan.com is one of several spec fic (fantasy, science fiction, and horror) market listings. There are similar market listing sites for poetry, romance, literary, erotica, and GLBT.

Response times vary widely between markets. But most writers carefully research their target markets and aren't likely to submit a SF story to a magazine that doesn't publish SF. Those who do are likely to get a very fast rejection, or no response at all.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
There are similar market listing sites for poetry, romance, literary, erotica, and GLBT.

Unimportant, do you which sites there are for literary fiction that tell you the response time? Thanks.

ClaudiaP

Registered
Reaction score
I've never found a similar resource for literary mags. I tried to start one here--see black holes thread--where we could just weigh in with journals that were taking a long time. For example, I'd like to know if the Berkeley Fiction Review is dead or alive...their site says they can take up to a year to respond. It's been a year and their site is still featuring the latest issue from 2004... makes ya wonder.

I was also wondering about New Delta Review, but figure there's no point in querying at this point--they are probably under water. Hope they're all right otherwise.

Finally, I wonder if anyone's noticed a longer wait time with Rosebud now that they're requiring ALL submissions to come in under their Fast Response Initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.