Another silly question

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
I've been offered representation by two agents. I've now decided which one I want. With this agent we've done everything by email. Do I just email back and say I want to work with her? Do I ask to see the contract before I make a final, final decision? I'm so confused.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
First, congratulations! Wonderful, exciting news.

Have you not spoken to this agent on the phone before? (You said you've done everything through email.)

If not, I would definitely talk with him/her before making a final decision to get a feel for his/her personality, working style, and enthusiasm for your project. Make sure you ask lots of questions about his/her plans for submitting your book, how he/she will keep you informed of responses, etc. I would also recommend contacting a couple of the agent's clients to see how they like working with this agent. And yes, ask to see a copy of the contract.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mysterygrl. No, I haven't actually talked to her on the phone, but I've asked all the questions above, plus a ton of others through the email and she's responded the way I wanted her to(That sounds bad, but I think you know what I mean.). I haven't contacted her clients, but that's a good idea. She's one of the agents from the "big" agencies, so I'm not too concerned, but it's still a good idea. And I'll ask to see a copy of the contract. Thanks again.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Just tell her you are confused and excited :) I'd tell her I'm sure the contract looks great because of their reputation and that I'm sure I'll get back to her with a yes after reading it over.

That is, if you've decided on her. If it's a big agency, complement their reputation while looking over the contract, lol :)

Congrats!!!!

skippingstone

Bouncing Atop the Water
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. That would give me pause. I think you've done nothing wrong. As you said, you've followed the advice that is all over the AW site: ask questions and give it some thought before signing. Asking to speak with other clients is sort of like getting referrals before signing a contract with a guy who's going to paint your house. Seems like standard business practice. If her clients are happy to be repped by her, you'd think she'd wouldn't mind your speaking with them. If she doesn't want to give out their contact info without their consent, she could just email and ask their permission first. Even talking to ONE of them would help, right?

Good luck to you, Agentpaper. This is supposed to be the MOMENT. I would suggest getting on the phone with her today. Sometimes email stuff -- tone, in particular -- comes out the wrong way and a chat will make all the difference.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks backslashbaby and skipping stone. Yeah, I still would LOVE to sign with her. I wrote her back, apologizing for the misunderstanding, and saying that I was very excited about receiving her offer and I've looked over the contract and I'd love to sign with her. I'm still waiting for a response. I'm not sure if she'll want me after this, but I know I still want her. Maybe she was having a bad day. I think I will set up a phone conversation, but now I'm afraid to email her back. Because I sent one email yesterday apologizing for the miscommunication and another telling her I'd read the contract and would love to sign with her. I don't want to send a third before she's even responded to the first two, especially if she's changed her mind.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. No, imho, give her a little space as long as she knows that you are excited :) It seems odd of her to be so affected by it, but maybe she's afraid that you'll be high maintenence. I'm just speculating :)

I'd play it cool and complimentary, but not too many messages, no.

How weird! Ah, it'll probably be nothing :) Give her a little time. Congrats!!

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that backslashbaby. I'll leave it be, but I think I'll be on pins and needles all day. LOL. I'm not high maintenance at least I don't think so. I'm perfectly content in letting her do her job, if at least I know who she's subbed to and what their response was. A once a week or so message is fine for me. But yeah, maybe she does think that. I hope not. Okay, I'm taking deep breaths and am going to enjoy my anniversary now. :)

isabella19

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think your agent wants to give you a 'once a week email update' or whatever. You won't be her only client and she'll likely not have the time or the inclination, also even the best agents don't always hear back from editors immediately so there may be nothing to say. However she should give you a list of editors she plans to submit your material to. As for the contract, I'd advise against asking to look at it before you sign. You'll have the opportunity to ask for changes, further info etc when you get the actual contract.

You might want to know who handles her foreign rights though...

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Just an update, if anyone is interested. It all worked out in the end. She sent me some great notes on how to make the ms better. Thanks again for all your advice, guys. I truly appreciate it.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
First, congratulations! Wonderful, exciting news.

Have you not spoken to this agent on the phone before? (You said you've done everything through email.)

If not, I would definitely talk with him/her before making a final decision to get a feel for his/her personality, working style, and enthusiasm for your project. Make sure you ask lots of questions about his/her plans for submitting your book, how he/she will keep you informed of responses, etc. I would also recommend contacting a couple of the agent's clients to see how they like working with this agent. And yes, ask to see a copy of the contract.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

this,

and definately ask to see the contracts from BOTH agents before you make a decision.