Need a pick-me-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleFlowerLei

Reverse psychologist
Registered
Reaction score
Dx the whole querying process has got me down. I know, not news, right? This is the part of the creative process that gets EVERYONE down. I know I'm not the first person to be completely discouraged at the whole thing, but that doesn't make it any less depressing.

Its getting to the point where I'm wondering if I'm not just wasting my time in this profession. I want more than anything to be a writer, and I know that it sometimes takes YEARS for people to be published, but still. I've been thinking this sort of thing a lot more than usual, and THATS not helpful.

Most of this is coming from the fact that it seems like I've contacted almost everyone that is listed as being interested in YA or Fantasy (or both) on Publisher's Marketplace, AgentQuery, and Query Tracker and still not even a request for a partial.

So does anyone have any words of encouragement or maybe some advice on how to make my odds better? I've already got my query letter edited on Query hell, btw.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
I can't really offer any advice other than to just keep at it. We all have times like these, where we feel like we should just give up and find something else we like to do, but we should never do that. If you really want to be a published writer, then work hard at figuring out where you need improvement and go from there. Make sure to take the advice of others and learn what you can from other writers.

:Shrug: Those are the thoughts I keep in my mind when I have times like these. It's frustrating to deal with and worry about, but if you put your mind to it, you can do anything you want. (My apologies for the cheese fest at the end, just thought it should be said. ;))

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scotch, straight.

Just kidding! And trying to make you smile a little.

LittleFlowerLei

Reverse psychologist
Registered
Reaction score
Scotch, straight.

Just kidding! And trying to make you smile a little.

xD that did make me smile a lil bit.

and SD: I know I should just keep at it ^_^' thats what my boyfriend tells me every time I tell him I suck.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
rework your query. Head to SYW and see what they say.

And just keep at it. You'll get past that point. If being a published author is really all yo want, then the answer is to keep going.

Proach

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deannasworks.synthasite.com
By the stats you have there, LittleFlower, it looks like you've only queried 16 agents and got 8 rejections. But, still, I can see how you feel. Any form of rejection sucks even though it may not be a bad rejection. Getting that first book published is the toughest part. But, you are still early in the game, so keep going, keep querying. And don't be afraid to go straight to the publishers.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go to your bathroom. Look in the mirror. Take a good long look, and then start singing a song you hate in a funny foreign accent.

Guaranteed to work every time. It won't get you published, but at least you won't feel like your entire life depends on getting requests.

LittleFlowerLei

Reverse psychologist
Registered
Reaction score
By the stats you have there, LittleFlower, it looks like you've only queried 16 agents and got 8 rejections. But, still, I can see how you feel. Any form of rejection sucks even though it may not be a bad rejection. Getting that first book published is the toughest part. But, you are still early in the game, so keep going, keep querying. And don't be afraid to go straight to the publishers.

Well, to be fair, thats not the one I'm querying for right now. I haven't put up the stats for the new one (and I don't think I will, considering I forgot how many there's been xD )

But okay, I'll try to go straight to the publishers. xD I don't have anything to lose, right?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This thread here might help you feel not so alone: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171186

At least you're at the query stage! I thought I was until I ran into major word count problems (200K manuscript) and I've spent three months on a major rewrite.

To tell you the truth, these threads always depress me. I'll think I'm doing okay, I know that I've got a hard sell and I've gotten a couple of responses at least, so can't be too bad, right? Means my idea doesn't just suck royally. Then I see people saying it took them twenty, or ten. Or I see people who have listed that they sent 5 queries and got 3 requests. Makes me feel like shit, to be honest. It's that working my ass off for two years putting together something I know is good enough to be published and knowing that chances are it won't be, and then it makes me feel like everyone else here is really good and I must really be much worse than I thought.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I also tell myself that each thing I write is a step in the right direction and one of these days something will catch. Probably not very helpful, huh?

I guess I'm also used to being the worst writer in my group of peers. I just have always banked on the assumption that my hard work can make up for it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Three and a half years. Three books. More than 200 queries. One "agent" who had no clue and wasted a year of my life then just closed up shop. (Learn fro me: query agents with verified sales only.) Much screaming and swearing. Another 50 or so queries. Six more months. A real agent. Six more months. Sold. (The 2nd of those 3 books.)

IOW, it's a long and hard road, made bearable by fellow writers also walking this road. And by chocolate (seriously). While I never wanted to give up, I was angry and despairing and frustrated countless times. Getting pubbed takes time and learning and perseverance. Pack a big lunch. :D

And much good luck. :)

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Belt "Total Eclipse of the Heart" at the top of your lungs and dance around the living room with a bottle of wine?

Seriously though, I'm sorry. :( I don't know much about you, but have you tried doing smaller things first? Like maybe getting a short story or article published somewhere? Not even necessarily for pay - just something to get your name in print.

If not, maybe try that. Not only will it help beef up your resume, but you'll get some warm fuzzies in the meantime.

*HUGS*

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
8 novels before the one. And the one? I garnered 90 Rs (queries, partials, and fulls) before getting 2 offers. 90 Rs on just that novel alone. You can read more on my blog - it's why I share my shame with the world so others can feel better about themselves. ;)

Like Lily said, it's a long, hard road. But you if you want it, you gotta walk it. Good luck!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Now, this is the kind of thing that makes me feel at least a bit better haha. ;)

Hey LittleFlower--we should totally have a go out for awesome three layer ice cream parfaits. That would definitely help. :D

skippingstone

Bouncing Atop the Water
Registered
Reaction score
Also, there's no shame in taking a break for a few weeks or even a few months. Time away can recharge your batteries. We've all had days when we think, "I'm wasting my life and other people's time." It's part of the writing life.

The greatest jobs in the world have some of the worst downsides. And I think writing is the greatest job in the world. When I worked in journalism, I remember more than a few reporters saying that they would do the job for free, they loved it that much. (That's when I knew I was in the wrong line of work.) But doing this, writing stories, yes, this I would do for free. In fact, I do do it for free, lucky me :)

You may even come to a point where you decide to give up for awhile, but then you'll get that Next Big Idea. The one that excites your imagination, that you can't wait to work on. That is a rush that is hard to give up on. And that's when it pulls you back in again.

But, hey, more importantly, have a little fun while you're at it. What the hell's the point otherwise? Good luck, hang tough, and know, above all, that you are not alone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing blows away the blues like an acceptance. Any acceptance. Bury yourself in writing, try other forms, write short stories, articles, poems, whatever. Flood the markets with material.

Forget about acceptance and rejection. Concentrate on the one and only thing you can absolutely control, which is how much you write and submit.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
You'll get there, even if it's not with this particular novel. You must believe! ... and try not to drink too much alcohol or eat too much chocolate. You don't want to FINALLY get an agent and be a great alcoholic lump :D by the end of it all -- leave that for when your manuscript starts getting subbed to publishers.

If it makes you feel any better, I've sent out 80 queries and only had 8 responses for partials/fulls. I'm gonna keep slugging through, and so should you.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter if the current novel doesn't get an agent. you should just keep writing until one gets picked up. THEN you can rewrite old manuscripts and see if the agent likes those ones as well.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Forget about acceptance and rejection. Concentrate on the one and only thing you can absolutely control, which is how much you write and submit.

Totally agreed. Listen to Callalily, and to everyone here. With every rejection you get stronger, and you will be able to handle more - because I hate to say it, but it never ends. You get an agent, great! Now you get to face rejection from publishers. You get a publisher? Great! Now you get to obsess over the reviews on Amazon that trash your writing.

I apologize for sounding so gloom and doom. But you have to find the true love in the writing itself (see Jamesritchie's quote). Nothing else matters if you enjoy the writing, because if you keep at it (because you love it) and constantly improve it, and you keep submitting, you will eventually reach your goal. There's no point in going through the hell of it unless you find absolute joy in the creation of it.

There are a ton of stories of famous authors who went through what we are going through now. My favorite is a quote by Susan Wiggs, who was asked how many rejections she received when she first started submitting, and her answer was, "I stopped counting after a hundred."

Hang in there LittleFlower! You are among friends.

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
A rough average is that for every fifty queries you send out you should get between two-four nibbles. If you've exceeded that number and still have nothing, go back to the drawing board–change up your query–and start again.

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Callalily's siggy always inspired me- NEVER GIVE UP- NEVER SURRENDER-

It took me ten years- two of them just in the query stage- over 155 rejections and yes I can't count how many times I questioned myself- but if its what you want you absolutely CAN NOT give into that feeling!!!

I have one book published and another three contracted and one on submission and all that happened in the last 8 months-

And while its easy to give advice on this side of the fence, its still good advice- believe in yourself, in your voice and never give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.