PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bone Thickness

The Grump
02-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Which part of a canine skull would be thinest?

I have a character who needs to kill an attacking dog with a stick of firewood.

(Thanks aforehand for any help.)

veinglory
02-17-2010, 02:28 AM
The obvious spot would seem to be the ocular cavity?

PeterL
02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
If you don't want to go through an eye, then the juncture between the skull and the spine would be a good spot.

Tsu Dho Nimh
02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Whack straight down on the top of the skull, directly between the ears, as hard as you can

Skulls aren't very tough.

ADDING:
Junction of skull and spine is more protected by muscles in a canine.

PeterL
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Whack straight down on the top of the skull, directly between the ears, as hard as you can

Skulls aren't very tough.

ADDING:
Junction of skull and spine is more protected by muscles in a canine.

You're right, I was thinking some other species.

backslashbaby
02-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I think right between the eyes. From seeing a dog skull. It looks like the top of the skull is pretty thick.

But, yeah, cracking even a human skull isn't as hard as you might think. If the wood is like a baseball bat or similar, it's strong enough to do an awful amount of damage.

RJK
02-17-2010, 11:50 PM
If the dog has his teeth into you, you're not likely to be picking and choosing. You're going to be whacking away as hard and fast as you can, at whatever presents itself as a target.

veinglory
02-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Generally it is wise to attack the dog before it bites you ;)

RJK
02-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Generally it is wise to attack the dog before it bites you ;)

Tell that to the dog. They can be pretty quick. Unless you're the kind of guy who goes around whacking every dog you see, if a big one charges you, you'll get bit before you can stop him.

Canotila
02-18-2010, 06:08 AM
The sides of the skull are pretty delicate. Think, between the ear and top of the jaw. My muscovy duck's sire killed a german shepherd by beating the sides of its head with his wrists. A couple of good whacks on the side of the head by a very strong person would put most dogs out of commission.

The brow ridge is the thickest, along with the ridge on top of the skull.

Are you trying to have the dog be dead, or just retreat? A surprising number of dogs are serious chicken butts, and will turn tail once you fight back. The best place to hit any attacking animal is on the very tip of the nose. It works on sharks, pigs, dogs, etc. I had a big mix bred dog rush me as I got out of my car once. I just sort of turned and saw a bunch of teeth in my face. My first impulse was to roar back and punch as hard as I could. Luckily I landed one on its snout instead of in its mouth. The dumb thing started shrieking and ran away before I could really process what had happened. It also worked on a big boar that my aunt had, when it knocked me down and took a chunk out of my thigh.

BigWords
02-18-2010, 07:14 AM
The quickest way to get a dog to remove its' teeth from your arm is to kick it in the balls. The jaw opens very quickly and they run away with their tail between their legs (with good reason) remarkably fast.

Canotila
02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
The quickest way to get a dog to remove its' teeth from your arm is to kick it in the balls. The jaw opens very quickly and they run away with their tail between their legs (with good reason) remarkably fast.

That's only if it has balls. ;)

If it was already latched onto my arm I'd be shoving my fingers up its nostrils and gouging its eyes out. Ears are sensitive too. Their heads tend to follow if you can grab an ear and move it around.

veinglory
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Tell that to the dog. They can be pretty quick. Unless you're the kind of guy who goes around whacking every dog you see, if a big one charges you, you'll get bit before you can stop him.

I lived in a neighborhood with roaming aggressive dogs--I also worked at the time as a door-to-door survey taker (commercial and census). I wore knee high boots and kept an eye out. Any dog that charged me got kicked. I was never bitten. Dogs out side of the home don't just bite. They orient, show hostile posture and approach first. Dogs are only too quick if you aren't paying attention, they have cover, or you aren't willing or able to repell them. A big dog may still get a bite in, but the odds are you get to hit them first and if you hit them hard they generally stop.