Agents specifically into High Fantasy

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I've been checking on query tracker and agentquery, but though there are lists of agents who like 'fantasy' and paranormal, it's harder to find those that are specifically into high fantasy or a sort of whimsical adventure fantasy as opposed to paranormal (ghosts fairies, vampires). Some might say in their profiles but many won't. Can anyone let me know of any agents that are into THAT specific type of fantasy?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been checking on query tracker and agentquery, but though there are lists of agents who like 'fantasy' and paranormal, it's harder to find those that are specifically into high fantasy or a sort of whimsical adventure fantasy as opposed to paranormal (ghosts fairies, vampires). Some might say in their profiles but many won't. Can anyone let me know of any agents that are into THAT specific type of fantasy?

I don't know any specifically, but another way to find them is to research who represents specific recent high fantasy books. I'd especially focus on newer high fantasy authors.

The three ways I know to do that are:

- look in the acknowledgments of books similar to yours - authors routinely thank their agents.

- at querytraker.com, you can search a list of authors for who represents them - I think it's under the search for agents areas.

- google an author's name followed by "represented by"

good luck.

~suki

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
- look in the acknowledgments of books similar to yours - authors routinely thank their agents.

This has been conventional wisdom for a long time, but my experience has been that it's unreliable at best. Not as many authors as is generally thought thank their agents in the acknowledgement page.

Besides, how many times to you need to see the words "Donald Maass" in print?