PDA

View Full Version : Remake of We Are the World....

WalpurgisQuill
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Made my ears bleed. I mean, you do NOT NOT NOT put Miley Cyrus and Michael Jackson in the same song. Even if it is to help Haiti. You also do NOT include a new rap section in a classic song.

Whoever´s idea this remake was is going to Hell. Seriously. -.-

cray
02-16-2010, 09:06 PM
meh,,....i hear you,...

but they get a pass for doing (or at least trying) to do some good. ;)

Jersey Chick
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I heard it - ugh. That's all I have to say. Ugh.

It was Quincy Jones' idea to remake it. Yeah... MusicFail. Epic. MusicFail.

scarletpeaches
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Pfft. I despise charity singles. I'd rather donate the money or do something hands-on to help other people.

Trying to do some good? Why don't they fly out there to help? Or do charity work closer to home?

Having said that, if they started a "Pay us to stop singing," drive, I'd soon pony up.

Jcomp
02-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Trying to do some good? Why don't they fly out there to help? Or do charity work closer to home?

Can't they do both?

scarletpeaches
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Well they could. As long as it stops Miley singing it's cool.

kayleamay
02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I have not been blessed/cursed enough to have heard this yet. Now googling.

Jcomp
02-16-2010, 09:25 PM
As for the song itself, it's pretty bad, but so was the original from a strictly music standpoint. It always got a pass because it was for charity--similar to how it's harder to boo bad singers off the stage at the Apollo when they sing Gospel--but it was always pretty cheesy from a lyrics and instrumentation standpoint. So with this... meh. It's not like it's a butchered remake of "Strawberry Fields" or "Imagine" something, now that would be a travesty...

scarletpeaches
02-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I haven't heard it either. I'm just looking for a fight. I'm a rebel without a clue.

Seriously, though. I hate charity singles and their inherent "But it's for charidee!!!" guilt trip. They churn out any old crap and expect people to shell out, because, like, think of the children man, think of the children!

Just skip the crappy cover versions of songs that were crappy first time round and donate money if you want, do good, look after your fellow man and all that jazz. Loving your neighbour starts with not making them listen to horrific 'music'.

kayleamay
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I just watched the video and I'm in agreement with Jcomp. Musically, not something I would ever choose to listen to, but I can't fault people for using their talents to help out.

And I have heard butchered versions of Imagine for charity. A travesty, indeed.

writerterri
02-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Hold the tomatoes!

I liked it!

Okay, now throw the tomatoes.

All accept the guy who sounded like a horse naying. What's up with that?

kayleamay
02-16-2010, 11:10 PM
*throws tomato at terri*

rhymegirl
02-16-2010, 11:10 PM
The original was much better. And I was a young chick back then.

Shadow_Ferret
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
For those who missed it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/33oMh7u9tcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/33oMh7u9tcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

writerterri
02-16-2010, 11:19 PM
*licks tomatos off face and sways to We are the worms.....*

semilargeintestine
02-16-2010, 11:47 PM
It's not like it's a butchered remake of "Strawberry Fields" or "Imagine" something, now that would be a travesty...

Ugh, I HATE it when people do Beatles remakes. I have yet to hear a remake that wasn't total shite. The only Beatles redo that was any good was the Cirque Love, and that's only because George Martin did it.

Shadow_Ferret
02-16-2010, 11:49 PM
You must not have heard the Loony Tunes Beatles remakes. :)

semilargeintestine
02-16-2010, 11:52 PM
You must not have heard the Loony Tunes Beatles remakes. :)

No, but I can guarantee you I won't like them. The songs are perfect the way they are.

Shadow_Ferret
02-16-2010, 11:55 PM
*shrugs* I guess if you go in with the belief you won't like them.... ;)

My kids love those versions.

MarthaT
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
really didnt like that version, but I do applaud them for helping

semilargeintestine
02-17-2010, 12:06 AM
*shrugs* I guess if you go in with the belief you won't like them.... ;)

I would listen and give them a chance. I can just tell you I won't like them because I think anything that changes the song (including even just someone else singing it) ruins it.

My kids love those versions.

That's because they are (I'm assuming) A) kids, and B) not obsessive Beatles fans who were in a Beatles tribute band. ;)

dgrintalis
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I watched the video and have to say, Pink has a truly amazing voice. That's all. Carry on now.

scarletpeaches
02-17-2010, 12:19 AM
I love her song "Sober".

DeleyanLee
02-17-2010, 12:21 AM
I haven't watched the video or heard the song (I'm still disgusted by the first time 'round, thanks), but I've got to ask: Is it just me or is Barbra Streisand the ONLY person always looking straight AT the camera in every PR shot for the song?

rhymegirl
02-17-2010, 12:34 AM
I watched the video and have to say, Pink has a truly amazing voice. That's all. Carry on now.

I do agree with this.

Did you see her performance on The Grammy Awards? That was amazing. Apparently she once wanted to be in the Olympics.

dgrintalis
02-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Yes, I saw the clip on YouTube. She has loads more talent than I think she's been given credit for. I love it when singers can actually, you know, sing. :)

Part of why I like Lady Gaga. (I know, I know, sorry, but I do.) She has a lovely voice, and I rather enjoy her quirkiness.

rhymegirl
02-17-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm more of a Cher fan. I wish she had participated in this project.

Jcomp
02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
I do think Pink can sing, but her songs and lyricism come off to me as sort of a harder-edged Manic Pixie Dream Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl).