• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Beta Reader for my supernatural/fantasy novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysewomon

Iconoclast
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. Hoping I can interest someone in reading The Unquiet Grave, a supernatural/contemporary fantasy/mystery novel. Yes, I'm really clear about the genre :p

Here's the point I'm at with it: I've written and re-written it five times (maybe more) and my stomach says it's through. But in my head I have a lot of doubts, particularly about the commerciality (is that a word?) of the work.

I've had a few people I know read it and they all say variations on, "This is great! You need to get it published!" But they're not writers. I don't trust them to know what might sell, or not to tell me it's great just because they know me.

I would prefer a person (or persons) who would be willing to read the whole work--a big commitment as it is 116k words at the moment. I need advice on pacing. Like, I know that chapters 2 & 3 are slower, but I can't see clearly how much of a problem that is or how to rectify it. I need to know if I use too much exposition. I'd like an opinion on what genre I should try to place this in.

Ummm...is that enough? I can't think of anything more right now.

WW

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell us a little bit about the storyline? How old is the MC? What challenges do they face?

wysewomon

Iconoclast
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. I left out the most important part! lol

The MC is a 36-year-old witch living in a small town in rural Colorado. She discovers the new bar in town is haunted, but she views her powers as a dangerous addiction and she doesn't want to get involved. She ends up getting involved anyway, and discovers that the ghost is the guardian of a demon-like creature imprisoned in a cavern beneath the bar. She also discovers (wow, I'm using that word a lot!) that an unknown person, whom she suspects to be the bar owner, is using black magic to try to free the demon and harness its powers for himself. To prevent this, she has to reclaim her powers and enlist the ghost's aid. But things don't turn out quite as she expected and in the end she has to free the demon herself and make an ally of it to combat the evil magician.

That's the basics.

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.