Hippie quotes glorifying being relaxed

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Calling all hippies and ex-hippes.

I have a character who has an inner voice who's a hippie, who constantly bombards him with pithy one-liners glorifying spirituality/laziness. Stuff like, "even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat".

Well... I'm running out of them. It's a long novel. Does anybody know a good source... or can just make some good ones up?

They don't have to make any sense. They can be clever on the most superficial level.

Thanks

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
They don't have to make any sense.
Okay, these sprang to mind (*note: I imagined my inner hippie to be a pothead):

"Peace is the inner sanctum of sanity."

"Lube your mind, dude, not your wallet."

"Leisure is the basis of culture."

"True Zen-dom cannot be entered at a fast pace."

Okay, that was fun. Thanks, Doc! :)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Dope will get you through times of no money beter than money will get you through times of no dope.

-- Gilbert Shelton, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

He, along with R. Crumb, were the geniuses of what used to be termed "Underground" comics. You should get hold of a few.

Crumb's "Mr. Natural" character was full of hilarious hippie advice.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Hell no we won't go...

Farm out, man... VS far out, man.

Make love not war...

Give peace a chance...

Hey dude, your Bogarting...

Peace is a state of mind...

Don't trust anyone over 30...

If you can't be with the one you love, then love the one your with...

(Fish Cheer)...Give me an F...Give me a U....Give me a C...Give me a K...whats that spell...

Lots of quotes by Kahill Gibran's "The Prophet," made it onto posters and in sayings used by hippies.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Turn on, tune in, drop out

Your novel sounds fun.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Just curious why you equate spirituality with laziness.

I'm wondering if you've completely missed what being a hippy was all about.

I don't. But the pithy one liners must embrace both. It's not about spirituality or hippies. I'm using the stereotype of the pot-head who doesn't want to admit he's simply lazy, but likes to think of it as him being on a spiritual quest. The quotes may very well be genuinely spiritual quotes. But not when this guy uses them.

Also, this stereotype is in the story because it is a stereotype. In the story the reader will understand that it's a silly and stereotypical image. The character is to begin with, a figment of the MC's imagination. So basically... it's just a story. It's a story in the story.

Keep 'em coming guys.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do they call the guy who finished at the bottom of his class in med school? Doctor.

Most of the world is none of my business (I actually like and use this one)

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
War is not healthy for children and other living things.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Mellow out man. You probably already used it, so mellow out if you did.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Visualize World Peace (or whirled peas :D)

Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Weed is mother nature's gift to man, man.

Whatever. I never bought a ticket for the gravy train.

Chillax, bro. The world will keep spinning.

Dude, we're just ants on a floating rock.

I can do without because, you know, life comes from within.

I bet Jesus was a stoner. I mean, c'mon. He wore sandals, had long hair, and was a carpenter that talked about universal love.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
You have to be very careful if you want to be authentic. Hippies did not say 'dude.' They said 'man.' The word "groovy' wasn't used after about 1967 or '68. The term was 'far out.'

If you want to know for sure, I'd suggest reading some literature from the time, perhaps Electric Koo-Aid Acid Test.

Also check this out, man: http://www.hippiedictionary.com/excerpts.html

Oh, by the way. Not all hippies lived in San Fransico. The hippie world was different in different places. I lived in the Midwest and knew only one vegetarian. No one I knew was obsessed with their health and everyone believed in conventional medicine.

Feminism wasn't a part of the hippie movement. Hippie men expected their women to do the cooking, cleaning and having the babies, just like the previous generation. They expected to be in charge. The feminist movement was resisted just as much by the hippies as their straight counterparts. It took a lot of years to get it through the minds of even hippie guys that the freedom they talked about was for women, too. (This is one reason why I like guys who are younger than me.)

Actually, I don't remember a lot of talk about relaxing. We had stuff to do. Perhaps 'mellow out,' would be the closest.

Good luck and peace.

Last edited:

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
My parents were hippies, and I grew up in various hippie collectives, so I know quite a bit about the hippie lifestyle. My father called himself a beatnik, which he and his friends thought was a huge difference. They didn't like hippies for some reason, which is something that amuses me. And doesn't explain his relationship to my mother, who wasn't ashamed one bit about calling herself a hippie. She has said that feminism was just about lesbians trying to get laid. Yes, I know, it says more about her than feminism.

Going off on a tangent here. I chose to see hippies as a step on the way into modernity. The industrial revolution in England set off a massive chain of events that, broke apart feudalism and the great chain of being. Since the enlightenment, bit by bit authority figures (of all kinds) have been dismantled and rearranged, while avoiding anarchy. This is still going on. Hippies questioned the new authority figures the generation before created for themselves. I don't think we've seen the end of it and I have no idea what sort of a society will come next. Maybe our future authority figures will be transgendered multi-sexual communist robot lovers in space? Or maybe pirate ninjas? It's impossible to say.