PDA

View Full Version : The IRS did a weird thing

DeleyanLee
02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Got my tax refund over the weekend.

The IRS gave me $250 more than Turbotax said I was supposed to get. :snoopy:

So I clicked on the little "where's my refund" linkie, which signs me into the IRS. It tells me that it's correct and I'll get my letter explaining why sometime next week.

I'm still not spending it until I know for sure it's for real, y'know?

This ever happen to someone else and it was a real thing?

JoeEkaitis
02-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Dang. Dare I hope they'll knock $250 off what TurboTax says we owe?

ad_lucem
02-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Dang. Dare I hope they'll knock $250 off what TurboTax says we owe?

That would be nice, eh? We use TurboTax and Quicken, too.

So... I'm definitely hoping there was a miscalculation in our favor somewhere. That would be niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I know, keep dreamin'..........

regdog
02-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Sort of.

The IRS said I wasn't getting the stimulus check. Then a year later I get a letter saying I was. I got the check with another letter saying if I wasn't supposed to get the check and cashed it they would want the money back with interest.

If I wasn't supposed to get the check and returned the original check uncashed I wouldn't owe the interest.

I wrote them back and asked why was I getting the money and would it be okay to cash the check and they actually wrote back and said they had no idea. It took them two months to decide I was supposed to get the stimulus check and it was okay for me to cash the check.

Shadow_Ferret
02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
A refund from the IRS? Has never happened.

But I have people who do that. I don't trust myself to do it. And I certainly don't trust software to do it.

semilargeintestine
02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I do my own taxes on HR Block. It costs me like $19 bucks, and I always get a refund, thank God. I haven't got my W2s yet though. If the IRS says it's legit, you can spend it. If they made a mistake, it's on them, and you have documentation that they said it was accurate.

bettielee
02-15-2010, 11:54 PM
oh good god in heaven... I have to pay interest on a cashed out IRA... and I don't have it. Every time I see a tax company commercial I change the channel.....