British Politics

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
This music reflects my thoughts on the situation and the General Election looming:

Held to Account

You might find it of interest even if you don't normally follow Brit politics.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Is Tony Blair still PM? Must have missed that.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's on YouTube I can't listen to it just now, but if the over-riding theme is "Look how many countries we've screwed up!" I'm in total agreement.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
This music reflects my thoughts on the situation and the General Election looming:

Held to Account

You might find it of interest even if you don't normally follow Brit politics.

Seemed to be a mess and with out little, if any, talent or originality. So, yes about the state of British politics now.

I really find it distasteful that images of the coffins of dead soldiers are being used for political purposes. The next election is not just about where and whom the British Army are fighting but about the state of the State. None of the present leading politicians could lead teddy bears, let alone the UK.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
None of the present leading politicians could lead teddy bears, let alone the UK.

Which lands us with the dilemma of who to vote for. If only Screaming Lord Sutch was still around *sigh*

Personally I always though Motorhead's Orgasmatron was, if looked at sideways, a stinging indictment of politicians. One in particular springs to mind...
I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you, your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant and revel in you pain
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
The Clash is of course good, always, for symbolism.

London calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared - and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard,you boys and girls
London calling, now don't look to us
Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

If you want to go classical, you can read Yeats "Second coming" as well for the portentous omens. :)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Which lands us with the dilemma of who to vote for. If only Screaming Lord Sutch was still around *sigh*

Personally I always though Motorhead's Orgasmatron was, if looked at sideways, a stinging indictment of politicians. One in particular springs to mind...

All things considered, Screaming Lord Sutch would have made a pretty good Prime Minister.

Shakespeare said it so well...

England, bound in with the triumphant sea,
Whose rocky shore beats back the envious siege
of watery Neptune,
Is now bound in with shame,
with inky blots and rotten parchment bonds.
That England, that was won’t to conquer others, hath made a shameful conquest of itself"
Richard II , Act 2, Scene l

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
And do you all know what is the most amusing?

Come election day, most voters will go and put a vote for Labour, the Tories, or the Liberal Democrats. A few will vote for the Looney party for the giggles. The scots will be contrary and vote for the SNP.

Yeah, I think it's funny how damned loyal the voters are all the time. They'll just change the poster boy idol a bit; a Cameron instead of a Brown; a Blair instead of a Major. :)

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Hmn, Scots wont automatically vote for the SNP y'know. If Jeremy Clarkson stood in the election, it'd be a landslide. Strange world. Guess that Labour isn't helped by the fact the current PM isn't the one who was voted in as PM.

Shakesbear, that's a good point about the soldiers, i dislike how they're used as pawns when they're people, like so many others, doing a job.

I am enjoying the Tory slip-up on teen pregnancy stats, at least, it made me laugh (something needed at the moment, sigh).

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Hmn, Scots wont automatically vote for the SNP y'know. If Jeremy Clarkson stood in the election, it'd be a landslide. Strange world. Guess that Labour isn't helped by the fact the current PM isn't the one who was voted in as PM.

Shakesbear, that's a good point about the soldiers, i dislike how they're used as pawns when they're people, like so many others, doing a job.

I am enjoying the Tory slip-up on teen pregnancy stats, at least, it made me laugh (something needed at the moment, sigh).

Thanks Rarri. You have also made a good point - soldiers are people.

Maxinquaye what you say may have been true in the past - I am not so sure now. Some voters will see the BNP as a viable option.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Frankly it won't make a blind bit of difference who I vote for - my MP is the Shadow Minister for Cabinet Office in a seat that iirc has never been anything other than Tory. ( there's even an old folk song about how the local Tory boys used to go round threatening people to vote their way c 1700- 1800ish)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Hope you get a result. I've always found my MP very helpful.