PDA

View Full Version : Kids in 1886

Stijn Hommes
02-15-2010, 02:57 AM
I need a scene in which two brothers (aged 10 and 12) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin get into a heated argument. The usual reasons boys get into fights in more recent times (money, girls, computer games) don't seem to apply.

What would kids in those times fight over?

DeleyanLee
02-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Chores--and who's not doing their share.

Stijn Hommes
02-15-2010, 03:03 AM
That's a good one, but probably doesn't attract the emotion I need.
To be precise, I want the argument to end with the older brother saying "I wish I didn't have a brother." or "I wish you would just disappear."
What kind of toys did they have back then? Could the younger brother break his bike for instance? Did kids get an allowance or were kids from the towns expected to work at that age?

alleycat
02-15-2010, 03:09 AM
I agree with DelayanLee; that's the most obvious one.

Also, an argument from some sort of game (baseball was around then).

One writing something on the school blackboard about the other ("Billy kissed Henrietta under the apple tree").

One lying about something, and the other one knowing about it.

One being mean to the horse.

One drinking their father's beer, or smoking his cigars.

And, I believe boys took an interest in girls, even back then . . . else many of use wouldn't be here. ;-)

citymouse
02-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Privacy, tattling--a 12yo is bound to be feeling puberty coming on :) tagging along, parents taking a sympathetic posture toward the young one who only wants to be included. Sharing a bedroom or bed.
C

alleycat
02-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Oh, here's one my brother and I gave into when we were kids. We had a large storage barn with three sections. My brother locked me in one of the sections one hot summer day. When he finally let me out, I chased him with a pitchfork. I would have used it too if I could have caught him.

Come to think of it, I could give you hundreds of examples from my own life. My brother and I fought constantly.

Stijn Hommes
02-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Those are some great suggestions. I think I can do something with that. Thanks.

back then . . . else many of use wouldn't be here. ;-) Yes, I know, but if I've got the time period right, it wasn't something that was discussed much...

Fern
02-15-2010, 03:35 AM
My grandmother was born in 1884. I've heard her talk about wishing so badly she could go to school, but couldn't because they moved a lot. Many others were only allowed to go after crops were in, etc. Town kids would probably have been more likely to attend school normally, but even then, if the family needed money, they may have been expected to work. Receiving new clothing would have been a special occasion for most - maybe one brother ruined the others new shirt where he couldn't wear it on the first day of school or special school event.

Wayne K
02-15-2010, 03:43 AM
The civil war was a hot topic still

Stijn Hommes
02-15-2010, 04:11 AM
Fern, you hit the nail on the head. My characters aren't very rich so the whole new clothing things fits like a charm. There are no school events, but since I want to start the story at big brother's birthday, it makes sense. :)

IceCreamEmpress
02-15-2010, 04:45 AM
If you have time to do some supplementary reading, let me recommend Penrod (http://www.online-literature.com/tarkington/penrod/) by Booth Tarkington, which depicts the life of a young Midwestern boy in the 1880s.

abctriplets
02-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Fern, you hit the nail on the hit. My characters aren't very rich so the whole new clothing things fits like a charm. There are no school events, but since I want to start the story at big brother's birthday, it makes sense. :)

Go for a dumb brother prank, like throwing an egg at him or something. The type of thing that'd piss him off, but would make him go postal in a unique situation (such as if he was wearing his new shirt at the time).

frimble3
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
He gets something special for his birthday, maybe something 'grown-up' and his mother smilingly declares that he will, of course, share with his brother. Or, the younger brother sneaks it, tries it out and breaks or loses it. No money to replace it, so sad, too bad, and good ol' mom, once again, says it was just an accident, little brother didn't mean to do it. Older siblings know in their bones that the younger ones always do these things on purpose.

DrZoidberg
02-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I need a scene in which two brothers (aged 10 and 12) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin get into a heated argument. The usual reasons boys get into fights in more recent times (money, girls, computer games) don't seem to apply.

What would kids in those times fight over?

I fixed it.