PDA

View Full Version : Spore

Monkey
02-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I've become addicted to Spore.

I love the creation process; so straightforward and yet so malleable...my five-year-old can create some pretty impressive jet fighters, decent music, creatures that look great doing "The Robot", and all sorts of other things, and yet it's still a challenge, at times, to give something just the right look. I love using creature parts in ways that were never intended, turning them backwards or linking them in unusual ways.

One of my creatures is a small, lizard-headed man riding around on a bouncing spring. I also have a witch that floats everywhere on her broomstick, and a space-faring black cat pirate.

The game play is a little repetitive, sure, but the real fun of the game is in the creation and seeing what others have created, especially when you run into them in game.

I've been down with the flu for the last few days, and during that time, I discovered another interesting feature about the game...in playing my black cat pirates, I actually found another game of mine (bat-people). Same planets, same alliances, everything. I haven't yet gotten to try altering what's going on in one game from the other, but I will as soon as I get a chance.

Anyway, I love this game. Is anyone else playing? What do you think?

Polenth
02-14-2010, 09:27 PM
I didn't like it. I had fun with the creature creator, but I wanted a sandbox game (which is what it was initially said it was going to be).

It turned out the gameplay consisted of following one of a few set paths. I gave up at tribal stage, where I realised I had to contact the neighbouring tribes in an exact order to continue. There's nothing sandboxy about that.

Zoombie
02-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I think Spore was an interesting idea, hamstrung by EA sticking its electro-cock of doom into Will Wright's sandbox pie.

I.E, Will Wright shows us this amazing sandbox. A year later, EA releases what we got, complete with sucky DRM. Also, Will Wright leaves Maxis to make his own game company.

Its not so hard to see the electro-cockage.

GeorgeK
02-14-2010, 11:17 PM
You want repetitive? Try stamping out the Grox. I got tired of it when I couldn't find anymore Grox planets but never got the "You have exterminated the Whatever species". They were hiding somewhere, even if they did stop attacking me. It also got annoying when I'd be at one end of the galaxy and one of my planets on another spiral arm was having and eco-disaster. My toughest opponenets were my own previous campaigns using a different species. Do you want some hints or to figure it out on your own?

GeorgeK
02-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Its not so hard to see the electro-cockage. Sounds like the electric bull prostatic ejaculator.

Any idea what he has in the making? I hope it's an expanded Pirates where you can sail back to Europe and conquer all those petty dictators.

whistlelock
02-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Spore suffered from its scope. It wanted to be Sims plus Civilization plus Masters of Orion.

Over promised and under delivered.

Monkey
02-15-2010, 07:41 AM
I pretty much agree on the gameplay. The paths are too set, too repetitive...there's never any question about what's going to happen next, even when you choose drastically different traits and personalities.

I think the creation process mostly makes up for those failures, though. Most the time, when I log on to Spore, I'm doing it to create something, not to play a full game. When I do play the game, it's to see my creations actually running around doing what they were created to do, and to see the creations of my buddies. I love that, using the same parts and techniques, my friends and I come up with completely different concepts. I also love that my five-year-old can come home from a tough day at kindergarten and unwind by creating spaceships. He's learned about art from it (he no longer draws stick figures; everything is 3D now), it's improving his reading (when he actually plays games, he has to read), and he says he wants to be an inventor (the fact that he can create things that look as good as what some of the grown-ups do has really boosted his self-confidence). Oh, and he initially chose the "warrior" path every time, thinking that being the strongest meant being able to kill everything, but now he's learned that the peaceful way can make you stronger in the long run. It was a good lesson for him.

I guess it's just that the creation process IS very sandboxy, very open to interpretation. That's what keeps bringing me back.

So I guess if you're looking for a light, quick and easy creative outlet, or if you're a five-year-old, the game rocks on toast. Otherwise, I'm not so sure. :P

DragonHeart
02-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I played it when it first came out and again when the expansion came and every once in awhile I'll get the urge to pop it in, but that's about it. As whistlelock said, great idea with poor execution. For me it suffers mainly from the fact that it relies heavily on the players to provide the bulk of the content, as the play modes are very linear and only really fun the first time. I do love the creature stage and terraforming in the space stage, but even those feel far too limited to me.

Adventures are fun but only if you can find the really good ones. I actually had a fairly popular adventure review with accompanying Sporecast to keep track of the good plot-based adventures and their creators.

I'm also not very good at using the creators because I'm not artistically inclined, so I suppose that's a large part of it too. I usually either whip something basic together to use or I simply borrow and recolor other creations, usually Maxis made so I don't have a legion of players screaming thief at me. Totally defeats the spirit of the game, but I can't say I'm surprised.

ETA: Hah, I decide after reading this thread to pick up Spore for a bit and I land right on a maintenance day so I can't actually do anything. Typical.

Monkey
02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
GeorgeK,

I'm not really concerned about the Grox. They hardly slow me down, now that I've learned how to deal with them. I haven't found Earth yet, and I still haven't gotten a chance to log back in and mess around with one game from inside another. My assumption is that even if I eradicate the species/world from game A in game B, when I go to the main screen, I'll still have game A, unchanged.

Is there ever any real connectivity between games?

Monkey
02-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Polenth,

You don't have to defeat or ally the tribes in any particular order to win that level. Tribes won't ask you to play instruments you haven't gotten access to, and you can destroy tribes with any weapons on hand--throwing spears will work on huts, for instance, just not as effectively as torches. In civilization stage, you do have to defeat at least four civilizations before you get flight, and you start on an island with four civilizations...but if you and someone else both have a port town, you could take over a town from off the island as one of your four. And then, of course, Space stage has no order for anything, except that starting a war right out the box is a problem if you haven't been warlike up to that point...your folks won't know how to equip your ship with weapons for a while. But hey, you can do it. ;)

GeorgeK
02-18-2010, 02:08 AM
GeorgeK,

I'm not really concerned about the Grox.

You will be when they start attacking your planets and your allies', and they will.

They hardly slow me down, now that I've learned how to deal with them. I haven't found Earth yet, and I still haven't gotten a chance to log back in and mess around with one game from inside another. My assumption is that even if I eradicate the species/world from game A in game B, when I go to the main screen, I'll still have game A, unchanged.

Is there ever any real connectivity between games?

When I first got to the galactic core there were so many allies of the grox that I ended up whitling on them until I couldn't jump any closer to the black hole. Then I started a new species from a cell on another spiral arm and eventually attacked the Grox and allies from a different direction, then again and again, until I had made enough of a wedge in them that I could get to the black hole without having to go through Grox or Grox Allies. My former species were NPC's who at least weren't as hostile as the original inhabitants. Each time though, the destroyed and or taken Grox planets remained no longer Grox, so that now If I start a new game, all the core systems are now my old species without any Grox or their ridiculously hostile allies. Your computer is your own universe and the events from previous battles in previous games seem to stay there. That is why I think once you push the Grox into actual extinction, then they will stay dead (I'm guessing). They do fight back and retake planets but evey time I'd take ten of their while they only took one of mine.

Monkey
02-18-2010, 02:54 AM
I was wondering about that! I made it to the galactic core in one game and was irritated that a Grox planet was practically on top of the thing, so I blew it up with a planet buster. Next time I went to the galactic core, in another game, there was no Grox planet right on top of the core. I wondered if it had anything to do with my previous game. Guess so. That's actually pretty cool.

I use Uber Turrets on all my planets and have never had the Grox come close to taking one...I've never even seen significant damage. In fact, the way I made it to the core the first time was simply to fly into an uninhabited planet anytime I got low on health, then heal, kill off the (usually) 3-6 Grox ships that followed me, and set up a colony. Then I had an automatic recharge/refill all health spot, and it had a little bubble of safe, non-Grox territory around it. I always drop an Uber Turret and Bio Stablizer just to make sure I won't have any trouble, and so far, I haven't.

Unless the Grox are about to unleash planet busters on me in the little bit of time they have before the Ubers get to them, I'm really not concerned. Also, I hear that if you terraform a Grox planet above T0 it kills them, and I have the Staff of Life now. I've been owning the Grox. :D

DrZoidberg
02-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I played it through once. I think it has a problem deciding what kind of game it wants to be. It spans many genres and doesn't quite pull any of them off particularly well. I still admire Will Wright for attempting this. It was brave. My hat is off to him. The only stage I find myself replaying is the first stage, the cell stage. It's a hoot. I wish somebody would take this and make it into a full proper game. If it exists, let me know!