Writing action sequences

John Ling

Quite a number of people struggle when it comes to writing action scenes. Yes, we all know that we should keep the details brief and snappy, as well as practice strict editing. Some skill with pacing the flow of paragraphs is also a must. But most writers rely too much on their sense of sight, and are limited by it.

Triangulation is a technique that addresses this problem.

It means orienting your reader to what lies to their left and to their right, but otherwise cutting down on excessive visual description. Concentrate more on other senses such as speed, hearing and smell. This makes for a more well-rounded action scene.

Try it! You might be surprised at the results!

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
Oooh, I hadn't given much thought to smell! I've used hearing and touch a few times, but the sense of smell might be just what a few of my action scenes need.

Thanks for the tip!

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I've been waiting for an answer to this thread for a while now. Hey Rach, perhaps you could tell me what you know and I'll let you in on my limited knowledge.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
__VeNoM__ said:
Obvious, yet effective. Do you think you could elaborate? Particularly with speed.
I don't want to step on John Ling's toes (or typing fingers!) but since his post was on 8-08-5 and there's been no reply, I'll offer this link that addresses triangulation:
http://copywriter.typepad.com/copywriter/2005/08/lessons_from_da.html

The site contains a further link to an interview with David Morrell. Morrell, author of the Rambo books (don't judge him solely by the movies), recently published a book on writing that is at least interesting.

ac

Last edited:

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
Cheers alleycat. That was useful.

Nevermind Rachael, just a thought...

Hey alleycat, I looked for more info on the subject and came up with nothing. Doesn't seem to be much else on it other than the site you referred me to.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt whether it’s worth trying to look up any additional information on “triangulation” (you could try googling for John Barth). It’s basically just a fancy term for “remember to use the other senses in your descriptions and not just sight”--that way your readers will experience what you've written in a more sensory way. I guess you could almost call it, "make them feel, don't tell".

I have Morrell’s book, Lessons From a Lifetime of Writing. It’s been several months since I read it. I’ll look and see if there more information on “triangulation”.

ac

Last edited:

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
Thanks, but don't worry, I found another thread on this forum that was a great help as well. I knew there wouldn't be much to triangulation, but when I learn things, I like to learn them proper.
Just thought there might be an order to it or something, but after some experimenting I'm beginning to use it a little better.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
VeNoM: I did find a little better description of triangulation in Morrell's book (pgs. 137-139). If you want to discuss it further let me know; but you've probably got the gist of it anyway.

ac