PDA

View Full Version : Running up stairs

Moonfish
02-14-2010, 06:06 PM
How long would it take a reasonably fit young man to run up 7 flights of stairs?

Thanks!

PeterL
02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
That largely depends on how long the flights were. If the person didn't stop, then it would just take a couple of minutes.

Moonfish
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Normal apartment building.
Yeah, I know it'd take a couple of minutes, but I need to know exactly. If a guy was timing himself.

RJK
02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Count the steps, two steps per second.

CEtchison
02-14-2010, 09:49 PM
If you are assuming one flight per floor, with roughly 12 steps per flight, then it would be approximately 84 steps. If you have a younger, athletic man who is timing himself, it would be reasonable to assume he would take two stairs at a time, making it 42 stairs with an extra step or two on the landing as he crossed from one flight to another.

So figuring roughly 50 steps, he could probably run it in about 50 seconds.

ETA: They just ran the Empire State Building stair climb. The winner completed 86 flights of stairs in 10 minutes and 16 seconds.

http://newslite.tv/2010/02/03/athletes-race-up-empire-state.html

WildScribe
02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
7 floors in under a minute? I don't buy it.

ResearchGuy
02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
How long would it take a reasonably fit young man to run up 7 flights of stairs?

Thanks!
When I was in my best condition (long ago, in my early thirties) I could climb 34 flights in two and a half minutes. (Seventeen floors, but two full flights per floor.) Best time ever was 2 minutes 23 seconds. Not any sort of athlete, just did a lot of stair-climbing and walking at that time.

FWIW.

Ken

P.S. They long ago made those stairwells (in a pair of 18-story office buildings in Sacramento) inaccessible -- certainly for that purpose. I was making those climbs, along with some office-mates, long before security tightened.

Moonfish
02-14-2010, 10:15 PM
My MC is supposed to be pretty athletic. ResearchGuy and SummerSpring, your numbers support each other and means he could even make it in under 50 seconds. But I think 50 sounds reasonable.
Thank you!

StephanieFox
02-15-2010, 01:08 AM
I am not a fit young man. I am a kinda fit middle aged woman with short legs. This week I decided to climb 13 flights to my dentist's office. I didn't run, I walked pretty slowly because I was a little early. It took me about five minutes, which means less than 30 seconds per floor. I suspect a fit young man could do this in much less than a minute. If he had long legs, he could do two steps at a time.

3000th post. This proves I don't have a life.

PeterL
02-15-2010, 05:57 PM
There are too many variables for aprecise number, but I think that you have gotten a reasonable range.

BigWords
02-16-2010, 07:24 AM
If he's running up the stairs he'll most likely be taking the stairs three or four at a time, grabbing the handrail and turning quickly to get to the next flight of stairs. It also depends whether the stairs are carpeted or not, because running up hard concrete stairs is harder than ones which have some sort of covering to give resistance underfoot (a carpet shouldn't make it easier, but it does).

kuwisdelu
02-16-2010, 08:34 AM
If he's running up the stairs he'll most likely be taking the stairs three or four at a time, grabbing the handrail and turning quickly to get to the next flight of stairs. It also depends whether the stairs are carpeted or not, because running up hard concrete stairs is harder than ones which have some sort of covering to give resistance underfoot (a carpet shouldn't make it easier, but it does).

If we're going to factor that in, I'm going to say additionally, it will depend on which direction the stairs are going--clockwise or counterclockwise? The quickest way up the stairs would obviously be to stick as close to the inside as possible, grabbing the railing to whip around the corners; this is easier if the turns come on the side of your dominant hand. I find climbing clockwise stairs easier, since I'm right handed.

blacbird
02-16-2010, 09:02 AM

Obviously a subject for first-hand research. If you be a person fitting those qualities, go find a place and give it a try. Hint: It's going to be a bitch. You might get up the first three in half-a-minute or so, but you'll slow down a lot over the next four. No way would you ever beat a standard elevator going non-stop.

caw

ResearchGuy
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Obviously a subject for first-hand research. If you be a person fitting those qualities, go find a place and give it a try. Hint: It's going to be a bitch. You might get up the first three in half-a-minute or so, but you'll slow down a lot over the next four. No way would you ever beat a standard elevator going non-stop.

caw
Believe it or not, when I was climbing those 17 floors in a Sacramento, CA, state office building ("OB 9" by name), at the top of my game, I did beat the elevator (allowing for the fact that it made at least a couple of stops on the way up). It was a startling experience sometimes for elevator occupants. No, I don't think I could ever have beaten it nonstop, though.

--Ken