PDA

View Full Version : A cut over the eye

efreysson
02-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I've given one of my characters a classic Bad Ass feature: A vertical scar over the eye. But how big and horrible can such a slash be without destroying the eye itself? Would it have to stop after going through the eyebrow, or can the cut continue below the socket and down the cheek?

And, really, is there something else I need to know about this kind of wound? Like, might it interfere with his ability to make expressions on that side of the face?

PeterL
02-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Such a cut might not have threatened the eye, if it was made by a blade against the forehead rather than a slash.

abctriplets
02-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Even then, a raking slash could still miss the eye...

efreysson
02-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Such a cut might not have threatened the eye, if it was made by a blade against the forehead rather than a slash.

You mean a blade dragged down the face?

RJK
02-14-2010, 09:43 PM
A vertical slash, or even a straight-in vertical jab with a blade across the eye socket COULD damage the eye or eyelid. It would depend on the exact position, and how far in the person's eye is sunk. Take a credit card and try it on your own (closed) eye.

A horizontal slash would most likely cut the eye.

Shakesbear
02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
This is probably going to be little or no help ... my grandfather was shot in the face* - very near his eye. He slept with his eye 'open'. That is the eyelid would not close properly - and he had a sort of lop-sided smile.

*during World War I

Gretad08
02-15-2010, 11:27 AM
A cut/slash in the eyebrow area becomes vulnerable to further injury. Boxers, for example, often have this type of injury. It's a weak area to begin with, but once it happens it's very likely to happen again even more easily.

Tsu Dho Nimh
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
It all depends ... what do you want it to do to your character, and what era is it?

Tell us that and we can give you the technobabble to make it believable.

PeterL
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
You mean a blade dragged down the face?

No, I mean a cut that brought the blade down directly on the forehead.

JamieFord
02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Another anecdote in the realm of "this probably doesn't help," but my high school chem teacher lost an eye in a skiing accident (yes, a pole was involved).

The socket was fairly damaged, so instead of a glass eye, he wore a fresh band-aid over the "hole" every day. Very creepy looking...

Fenika
02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
It would have to be a small, narrow scar from a shallow cut (the blade just barely hit the face)

Cyia
02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
If the person has deep set eyes or a slightly protruding (not cro-magnon!) browline, the injury would have less impact on the eye itself.

efreysson
02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
A cut/slash in the eyebrow area becomes vulnerable to further injury. Boxers, for example, often have this type of injury. It's a weak area to begin with, but once it happens it's very likely to happen again even more easily.

Hmm. So the scar could open up if he took a bonk to the face? Even twenty years after the cut? And would it require fresh stitches?

It all depends ... what do you want it to do to your character, and what era is it?

Tell us that and we can give you the technobabble to make it believable.

What do I want to do to the characters? Like I said in the original post, I want him to have a big cut on his face but two functional eyes, and I'm wondering whether it should stop at the eyebrow or not.

As for era, it's a sword-n-sorcery fantasy. He was wounded during a war in the wilderness, and stitched up by an untrained militiaman with a crude bone needle.

johnnysannie
02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
As a small child, I managed to get cut across the eye by the bottom metal sharp edge of a swing set (before such swing sets had all the nice safety features). The cut actually sliced through my eyelid - I could close my eye and still see through the slash which was very weird. It totally freaked my mother out, BTW. It was a vertical cut but amazingly enough, it did not damage the eye itself or affect vision.

I was taken for stitches - an experience that I still cringe to recall because I could see each needle stroke coming at my eye.

So, it's possible.

Tsu Dho Nimh
02-17-2010, 02:08 AM
I want him to have a big cut on his face but two functional eyes, and I'm wondering whether it should stop at the eyebrow or not.

As for era, it's a sword-n-sorcery fantasy. He was wounded during a war in the wilderness, and stitched up by an untrained militiaman with a crude bone needle.

Not necessarily ... the eyebrow and cheek bones project far enough that a whack with the blade of the sword could cut above and below the eye and leave eye and lid untouched. Try it with the side of a ruler.

Heard of one last weekend involving the "blade" on a snowboard ... much gore and panic from the boarder's friends (who at least had the sense to apply pressure and send for help from the ski patrol), but on inspection it was two vertical cuts - through the eyebrow and centered on the cheekbone - bleeding like mad.

Victim was patched up enough to travel and sent to the nearest plastic surgeon for a really good repair ... alas for the kid, his parents didn't know he had snuck off to go boarding until ski patrol called.