PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Market and other books

Eddyz Aquila
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Are they really that useful?
I have Guide to Literary Agents and that it definitely a must when you finish a book, but what about the others such as Writer's Yearbook 2010?

Good use or waste of money?
I'm thinking of buying it along with the new GLA for 2010.

alleycat
02-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I think it sort of depends on your budget (and your access to a library copy). I usually go ahead and buy Writer's Market every year. The deluxe version also includes a subscription to Writer's Market Online.

Sevvy
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
I have bought them before, and they were very useful. However, I hear (though I have not gotten my hands on a copy myself) that the 2010 editions are filled with typos and have lots of outdated information. I would check them out from a library first and see if it's really as bad as I've been led to believe before you buy it.

Wayne K
02-14-2010, 05:27 PM
The latest are all available at your library, if your budget doesn't allow. I've found them helpful, but AW kicks their asses. Any question I would read through them to find an answer to, I just put in search.

Carlene
02-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I used to buy WM too, but feel the info is outdated. It takes at least two years to get published. With one click of your mouse, you can get the same info at AW or other sites.

Carlene
www.maniareaders.com/CarleneRae/Dater - check out all my books!

Jamesaritchie
02-14-2010, 08:01 PM
WM is usually published pretty fast, much faster than is typically the case with other books, and if you get the delux edition that also has WM online, you get updates on a regular basis. If you can only afford one verion, just subscribe to WM Online. I haven't found the info to be badly dated at all, at least no more than info from any other source.

But updates are the writer's responsibility. Print book or online guide of any type, you still have to go to magazine or book publisher's website and get the latest info before querying or submitting, even if the info you have is only a month old. Since the internet is everywhere now, and almost all publishers of any type or size have websites, market guides are only a starting point that allows a writer to find possible markets, not a read the listing and submit source, as they once were.

The intent of such guides now is to allow writers to find websites with the least amount of fuss and bother. When used this way, WM is excellent.

I can't find any other source that has nearly as many listings as WM, which doesn't mean other sources shouldn't also be used. No one source is complete, or close to it, and relying on any signle source means you'll be missing out on all sorts of possible markets.

I would say that WM is less important for novelists than for short story and article writers, but, really, if WM, print version or online version, generates only one new sale, it will probably pay for WM several times over.

If it doesn't generate at least one new sale, it won't be because of WM.

Lost World
02-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Since I've found Duotrope my last year's copy of WM has gone untouched, and I probably won't be buying another until the next time I shop a novel, whenever that may be. In terms of listing short story publishers I've found many more markets on Duotrope than WM can hope to match, and they're a lot easier to look up.