PDA

View Full Version : Annoying

#1,Jennifer
02-14-2010, 06:50 AM
So I have a problem that is easily fixable but still really annoying. My husband changed internet providers on me because he thought the other would give us a better deal...
anyway I have a couple requests for fulls out there and now the email they have is not a good one.
Has this ever happened to anyone? and how annoying do you think it'll be for the agent to recieve a change in contact information email? It's been about ten weeks since they requested.

cate townsend
02-14-2010, 08:16 AM
This has not happened to me, but if it did, I'd email them (use a web-based email - then you won't have to worry about something like this happening again) with "requested material - title of your book" in the subject line. I'd write something like Ms. Agent, my contact info has recently changed. I can now be reached through this email address. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

It shouldn't be annoying. You are simply sending along your contact info, not bugging them about the status of your manuscript. Also, if they can't reach you via email and want to talk more about it, I'm sure they'd just pick up the phone, provided you supplied a number. If not, well, then, you can guess what happens. Hope all turns out well!

Wayne K
02-14-2010, 08:29 AM
I did this, and it was no problem. Don't sweat it.

jclarkdawe
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
It's not a big deal, and people have to send out change out change of address emails all the time.

However, having been once burned, learn. Get an email address that's not connected to your ISP. Otherwise, you stay dependent upon an ISP for the wrong reasons.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Terie
02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
It's really cheap to buy a domain and use it only for e-mail until you're ready to launch your site. Then, as Jim said, you don't have to rely on an ISP ever again, and your e-mail address will always be correct and professional. Get someone who knows their way around the 'net to help with this if you don't already know how to do it.

Toothpaste
02-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Or get a gmail, yahoo or hotmail account. That's what I use and no one has ever considered me any less professional for it.

Jamesaritchie
02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I go with Gmail. I wouldn't begin to use Yahoo or Hotmail for business, and I know agents and editors who simply won't open anything from these accounts. Gmail is something else entirely. It's trusted, it doesn't make you jump through hoops, and you can use it through Outlook.

And even when you change internet providers, you still have the same e-mail address.

Terie
02-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Or get a gmail, yahoo or hotmail account. That's what I use and no one has ever considered me any less professional for it.

It isn't necessarily the 'gmail', 'yahoo', or 'hotmail' that risks looking unprofessional. It's that unless you have a unique name, it's hard to get something that isn't either cutesy or hard to identify (such as a name with a four-digit number after it).

Also, many spam filters catch mail from all of those addresses. I moderate a forum that got so much spam from each of those that I finally, with apologies, banned all three. I wouldn't want to be submitting work to agents or publishers with any of those for this risk alone.

By way of example, for less than 2 a month, someone could get a domain name (8.99/year) and e-mail hosting (.69/month) with my web host. Many US web hosts have even less-expensive packages.

kellion92
02-14-2010, 08:51 PM
I use a longstanding Yahoo account for personal and business use, and I've never had a problem.

Toothpaste
02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Well I have only ever used those accounts and my professional life doesn't seem to have been negatively affected by it. And most everyone else I know uses one of those accounts as well. To each his own.

#1,Jennifer
02-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the advice, the last thing I wanted to do was to annoy a potential agent. It's nice to know that this sort of thing happens sometimes and it's a lesson learned. I'm now using a gmail account.

Jamesaritchie
02-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I use a longstanding Yahoo account for personal and business use, and I've never had a problem.

Have you even had no replies from queries or submissions?

Jamesaritchie
02-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Seriously, most of teh time Yahoo or Hotamil will work out fine, but a lot of agents and editors do hate those accounts, and rightfully so. I won;t open an e-mail from either, unless it comes from someone I know personally, and then I check first to make sure they really sent it.

If you have problems with a low reply number from queries or submissions, those two accounts could be part of the reason. Neither is safe, and both can bring a bunch of unwanted spam your way, or worse, to an agent or editor.

But unusual name or not, it isn't difficult to set up an account with your own name, even if it's John Smith.

kellion92
02-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Have you even had no replies from queries or submissions?
No.

ETA: There's always some difficulty contacting people who don't know you regardless of the domain name you use. But I haven't had trouble as long as I'm using the correct contact address to people like agents or human resources representatives, who are expecting to receive email from people they don't know.

cate townsend
02-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Good advice here. Although, when it comes down to it, if the agent wants your work, they aren't going to care if your email is @yahoo.com or @gmail.com or @superlameemail.com. All they're going to care about is your product.

James D. Macdonald
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Put your old email address on your web page, so someone googling it will find the trail of breadcrumbs.

If someone wants to buy your book they will look for you, even if it involves calling everyone in the San Francisco phone book with your last name.

IceCreamEmpress
02-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Put your old email address on your web page, so someone googling it will find the trail of breadcrumbs.

If someone wants to buy your book they will look for you, even if it involves calling everyone in the San Francisco phone book with your last name.

As someone who participated in Janet Reid's "FIND GARY CORBY" adventure, I can attest to this. (His email had changed, and she enlisted the commenters on her blog to find him. He is now her client.)

colealpaugh
02-16-2010, 01:54 AM
An agent who accepts equeries, but refuses to open an email from a Yahoo address with the subject line "Query: The Zombie Tales"?

I can't imagine, but I surely don't question your experience, Mr. Ritchie.

Yahoo and Hotmail have built in virus protection. An email coming from a private domain is much more likely to contain malware and trojans. If I wanted to send a virus, I'd use a proxy or use my own domain.

Yahoo has something of a rep for hacking because users select their own passwords and security questions, not because of malware. Period. Ms. Palin was one of the more famous victims, although it was a self-inflicted wound because she was careless. Hacking was "incoming", not an "outgoing" issue.

An agent not opening a Yahoo or Hotmail email with "Query" in the subject line will likely be found in the tin foil hat isle in Walmart on their off hours, or are simply ill informed.

Is Yahoo unprofessional sounding? Maybe. My mom has used Hotmail for 10 years and it still rings dirty to me. I have my own domain, but choose to use Yahoo because of it's virus protection. If someone thinks I'm less professional at colealpaugh AT yahoo.com than I am at cole AT colealpaugh.com, then so be it.

Seriously, most of teh time Yahoo or Hotamil will work out fine, but a lot of agents and editors do hate those accounts, and rightfully so. I won;t open an e-mail from either, unless it comes from someone I know personally, and then I check first to make sure they really sent it.

If you have problems with a low reply number from queries or submissions, those two accounts could be part of the reason. Neither is safe, and both can bring a bunch of unwanted spam your way, or worse, to an agent or editor.

But unusual name or not, it isn't difficult to set up an account with your own name, even if it's John Smith.

shaldna
02-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Alot of service providers let you keep your email even after you change connections. We recently changed from AOL at work and we were able to keep all of our AOL email adresses. You could call the service provider and ask about that,.