French me, please

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
A man sits at a table in a cafe, in Paris. Then realizes he has to go. The waiter appears at his shoulder, and he says, "Nothing, thanks, I'm just leaving."

How would he say that in French?

Thanks!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Been awhile. If you get a better answer use it!

Rein, merci. Je suis quitte.

EDIT: Je suis departi or Je suis sorti might be better. Again, if you get better advice take it.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a native speaker, and I know I can't express the 'just', but:

Rien, merci. Je sors.

Maybe 'je sors maintenant' -- I'm leaving now.
ETA: Je pars, maybe? Tout de suite instead of maintenant :)? Are they not the same?My brain doesn't know the nuances; sorry :)

Last edited:

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A man sits at a table in a cafe, in Paris. Then realizes he has to go. The waiter appears at his shoulder, and he says, "Nothing, thanks, I'm just leaving."

Thanks!

Aucun merci. Je pars

(According to a free translation web site when asked to translate No thanks. I'm leaving.)

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a native speaker either, but I lived there for four months, and I think it would be "Rien, merci. Je pars." In my experience, "je sors" is the equivalent of "I'm going out" (like, going out for the night) or "I'm exiting," but "je pars" is "I'm leaving."

Last edited:

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
"Rien, merci, il faut que je parte." "Nothing thanks, I have to leave." :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'd use doit before il faut if I were talking casually about myself, just cos il faut always sounds impersonal to me, or almost like a rule. It may not be. I cheat like that and just avoid using it in some places!

Je dois partir sounds great to me, fwiw.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Literally, "It's necessary that I leave." I always think "Je dois" implies urgency, but that's just me. :) It would depend on how advance the character's French is. Nobody's going to point and laugh at "Je dois partir", and the "Il faut" construction is taught a lot later. Here, at least. If the character's a beginner, or not fluent, "Je dois partir", or even just "Je parte" would probably be a more obvious choice. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Literally, "It's necessary that I leave." I always think "Je dois" implies urgency, but that's just me. :) It would depend on how advance the character's French is. Nobody's going to point and laugh at "Je dois partir", and the "Il faut" construction is taught a lot later. Here, at least. If the character's a beginner, or not fluent, "Je dois partir", or even just "Je parte" would probably be a more obvious choice. :)

Funny, I was just thinking that doit seems more urgent, too :)!! They are both great to my ear; it's true. I forgot how often you hear 'il faut que je'...

I think it's just me! (I use besoin/il ma faut more often...)

Sorry, I was just wondering if anything sounded stuffier to natives, but I really couldn't tell :D

Paul

Banned
Reaction score

Thanks!

With great courage.

Ever try leaving a French cafe without a purchase of some kind?

:D

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Been awhile. If you get a better answer use it!

Rein, merci. Je suis quitte.

EDIT: Je suis departi or Je suis sorti might be better. Again, if you get better advice take it.

"Rien, merci" is correct for the first part, but "je suis quitte" doesn't mean anything and the others are in the past tense, which you wouldn't say here because he's leaving now/in the future, not in the past.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a native speaker either, but I lived there for four months, and I think it would be "Rien, merci. Je pars." In my experience, "je sors" is the equivalent of "I'm going out" (like, going out for the night) or "I'm exiting," but "je pars" is "I'm leaving."

Those four months worked out for you. "Rien, merci. Je pars" is the first option that crossed my mind--it sounds the most natural. "Il faut que je parte" also works, though it may be more explanation than you would necessarily give. If you wanted to be apologetic or explain your departure with slight regret, "il faut que je parte" would work, but otherwise "je pars" is very natural and all you need. And you're also right about "je sors"--it is indeed like going out for the evening or going outside from inside. You wouldn't say it if you're already outside on a cafe terrace, and if you said it inside the cafe it could be understood as meaning you were going outside to sit on the terrace, as opposed to leaving.

"Je dois partir" isn't said nearly as often as "je pars" or "il faut que je parte." It's just somehow less colloquial.

Last edited: