CALLING ALL CANADIANS! OR CONTEST SAVVY SCAM-BUSTERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My roomate has just won a $125,000 contest drawing and it seems to be very, very official. They already sent him a $3,880 certified check to put in his account. After it clears (not yet) he is to send a check of $2,500 to the contest awards board to start the processing. This is also signifies that his identity is verified.

The Company is TRIBECA MANAGEMENT AND PAYMENT INC.
Sweepstakes and Internet Games Payment Verification Center.
1179 Post Road, Suxxex, New Brunswick. E4E 3A1

This paperwork seems very authentic and contains multiple signitures. Have any of you heard of this Contest, and what is your experience with it? Is it legit?
Or is he in trouble here?

Please, anyone (even American) who is familiar with this, the info would be appreciated.

Tri

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
My roomate has just won a $125,000 contest drawing and it seems to be very, very official. They already sent him a $3,880 certified check to put in his account. After it clears (not yet) he is to send a check of $2,500 to the contest awards board to start the processing. This is also signifies that his identity is verified.
I don't know anything about the contest, but when I see that he has to send money, a red flag goes up for me. There are scams where a person is told they've won a contest, then gets strung along with all sorts of fees etc. to collect their prize (which never happens). It can also be a way for scammers to obtain personal information. I'm not saying it's a scam, just to proceed with caution. Did he actually enter a contest or was this a phone call, letter, or email out of the blue?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
He says that he seems to remember having entered a contest 2 years ago, and admits that they tried to contact him twice in the past. This third and last time was their notification to him that they are giving him a final chance to submit and collect.

What worries me is that he recently recieved a large injury settlement, and that this organization found out about it (somehow--someway). He is quite enthused about this. But I'm very leery for his sake. This check they sent him would HAVE to prove to be legitimate and clear before I even passed him a trembling thumbs up. He's called them on the phone and spoken to reps, and they assure him that's it's authentic.

What am I missing? This is one of those "To Good To Be True" type things.

He is supposed 1 of 20 participants that are sharing the two million dollar award.

Tri

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see these things so often that I want to shout. AAAARRRGGHHHH

Of course there is no way for me to know exactly what contest this is but if you can get hold of your roomate's award notification, just google key phrases and you should get all the info you need to evaluate the reward.

I sure hope it is true, but if it is, it's the very first time.

Just a tip from your Uncle RT.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
See if the money banks. It probably won't. I would guess the scam is that people post their money before the cheque goes 'boing'?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the address is still listed as for lease. it could be an outdated ad, or it could be some fly by night scam company that ended up in that office space.

http://www.1800-homes-for-sale.com/..._large_office_space_for_rent_in_sussex_kings/

they don't have the equivalent of a better business bureau in canada?

whoever it is, they have no web presence that i could find. i can't imagine money flowing to a legitimate contest, so it stinks. but i can't crack it.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, William--you're quite the detective. It looks funny. I'm really hoping my roomate doesn't do anything rash before I find out about this. This is getting more mysterious.

Somebody out there somewhere might have received one of these notices. That's what I'm hoping for.

I wonder if that is an old company address that they vacated?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
okay, i looked at your profile and it says you're in california, so i'm assuming your roomate is, too. i think i've figured it out. it's an "exchange rate" scam (or some variation thereof). this look familiar?

EMP 2000 located in Montreal, Quebec, has been calling with promises of thousands of dollars in sweepstakes winnings. EMP 2000 tells you that you have won $50,000 that will be payable in five monthly payments of $10,000.

If you take the bait, you will receive a certified check which purports to be written on the account of the law firm of Miller, Jameson, McLaren & Associates and is sent by courier. You are phoned upon its arrival and told that you must immediately wire more than $3,000 to EMP 2000 to cover the difference in the exchange rate between Canadian and US dollars which was accidentally paid to you.

The certified cheque is discovered, ( too late to stop the real one you couriered to them ) to be a forgery. The law firm doesn't exist at all.

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Telemarketing/Outbound/Major/Sweepstakes/advance_fee.htm

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, William. I'm checking on this right now. Something has just got to be fishy here and I'm trying to nail it. I considered that their $125,000 check might be a credit allotment toward services or products, or some kind of an investment. But You've brought up something more sneaky.

Thanks.

(I want to stop him before he verifies the cleared check tommorow and sends in his money)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
(THE BELOW EXAMPLE LOOKS LIKE THE SCAM THAT WE ARE INVOLVED WITH)

In another case an elderly lady received both a letter and a check from Canada saying that she had won the lottery. The check was made out to her and displayed the name of a bank in Canada along with the bank's phone number.
The letter gave the elderly recipient instructions to cash the check and then immediately mail a cashiers check to the address stated in the letter for the required payment of taxes on her winnings.

The bank diligently called the phone number that was on the check to verify funds, but little did they know (until it was too late), that the phone was, in fact, a cell phone and the bank was a fictitious entity. The person on the cell phone officiously verified funds available and so the bank cashed the check for the "winner" for a very large amount of money.

The lady then took some of that money and dutifully bought a cashiers check to pay the taxes on her winnings and mailed the check to the address on the envelope, which was probably a post office box. By the time the check that represented her lottery winnings bounced, her check to pay the taxes had been cashed by the criminals.

With ready access to her account, the bank managed to get back most of the money that the lady falsely thought were her winnings and then held her accountable for the money she had sent off to pay her taxes, which was a lot of money.

The cons suckered her in because she had actually received money in hand. Once she thought she had her winnings in her account, she gladly paid taxes on it. Ignorance of banking laws is no excuse apparently.

In an FDIC alert about the Canadian Lottery scam, a Canadian Mounted Police report indicates that they learned that U.S. banks "can freeze funds for a period of up to 14 days in order to confirm funds are secured" under an agreement between Canada and the US for the timely return of checks, although no reference of this can be found and a Canadian attorney consulted on the matter did not believe any such agreement exists.

Some banks have therefore established a $1,000 threshold for consumers and $5,000 for businesses based upon what they felt was an acceptable risk level for banks of their size.

Two tiers were created based on the level of recapture risk - the likelihood of being able to recapture funds from the customer should a deposited Canadian check be returned later for reasons of fraud.

However, even for deposits below these thresholds, they plan to place holds on the funds for the average three weeks it takes for a Canadian NSF check to be returned.

High collection fees imposed upon the customers by the banks correspondent processor is apparently one reason not all Canadian checks are sent as collection items.

(AND THEREIN LIES THE FRAWD. THEY SENT MY ROOMATE A CASHIER'S CHECK FOR $3,800.00 FOR HIS DIRECT DESPOSIT IN BANK OF AMERICA. THEY REQUESTED THAT THEY HE SEND BACK TO THEM $2,500.00. ALL THE WHILE BANK OF AMERICA HAS CALLED UP THE FICTICIOUS BANKING INSTITUTE TO VERIFY FUNDS, AND THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END REPRESENTING SUCH BANK, IS A SHILL WHO VERIFIES IT. BUT, IN THIS CASE HIS BANK (BANK AMERICA) HAS BEEN SWINDLED BECAUSE THEY COVERED THE CHECK, THEN HAVE RECOURSE TO SUE MY ROOMATE FOR BEING CAUGHT UP IN THE SCAM. IGNORANCE OF BANK LAWS IS NO EXCUSE).

THIS IS EXACTLY THE M.O. THAT IS BEING USED HERE. WE WERE ORIGINALLY CONVINCED THAT IF THE CHECK CLEARED WE WERE IN THE MONEY. NOT SO, IT APPEARS--FALSE BANK--FALSE VERIFICATION.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE I HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD?

Triceratops

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Tri, it does. This is definitely a scam. Don't let your roommate send those crooks any money. The winner of a real contest would never be asked to pay. If he's already received the $3,800 from B of A, he should give it back to the bank.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
This is a scam. Do NOT send any money.

The trick is that cheque he has been given is forged. Just think what happens if somebody cashes a cheque that you write. Does the bank show it to you as ask if it really is your signature before 'clearing' it?

Of course not - the cheque 'clears' simply if there is enough money in your account.

How could I use that to scam the recipient? Very easily.

I forge a cheque for $3,800 and send it to a sucker. I tell them "wait until the cheque has cleared, and then send my friend $2,500." The sucker thinks that they are safe. After all - the cheque has cleared, right?

After a couple of weeks, the company or person whose account the forged check was for has noticed the disappearance of the money. They phone the bank - the bank confirms that the cheque is fake - and promptly seizes the money back from your account. If there isn't enough money in your account, then they'll just get it back via the courts.

So you are left holding the bag - while me & my friend have our hands on $2,500 of your money.

Snopes claims on their discussion of the scam ( http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/cashier.asp ) that it only surfaced in 2002, but it is actually MUCH older.

Remember - a 'cleared' cheque doesn't actually mean 'cleared' !!!

Mac
(Edited to add: Oops. I just noticed the other variations of the scam already posted)

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Yeppers, that is exactly the way I see it! The check might clear through a false verification, leading my roomate to think that it is legit. This sounds like an outright forgery, and I want my roomate to LISTEN TO ME.

Here's another thing I found out--these contest gambits get you to call them back frequently with a 900 number then put you on deliberate hold to run up a nice long distance charge--the average call being 8-9 minutes. My roomate admitted that they did this to him. Thousands of calls like this could rake in major bucks in additon to their rat bastid scheme.

Oh, Lordie. Superman. Must. Help. My. Buddy.

Thanks all,

Tri

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I just did some more investigating from Williams tip links. This IS an old fraud with a brand new twist on it--I mean it is PA-clever. I'm an ex-fed and smelled a rat here, but should have caught it sooner. I should be shot with my own service revolver! But I'm out of Nigerian bullets (You know the one's that cost 17 million credited to your account but you have to pay duty and taxes on?)

I'm turning this over to the authorities in Canada. I've got to get my hands on that check for the bank address and phone number to nail these rats. I hope Bank of America will cooporate.

Wish me luck.

Tri

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
reph said:
Yes, Tri, it does. This is definitely a scam. Don't let your roommate send those crooks any money. The winner of a real contest would never be asked to pay. If he's already received the $3,800 from B of A, he should give it back to the bank.

I would give it to the authorities, myself...not sure about the Canadian system, but bank fraud is something the FBI (at the minimum) gets involved with down here...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Unfortunately, my roomate cashed the check and brought the money home. Even Bank of America warned him that this did NOT clear on the other end yet.

I was able to talk him into returning the money and waiting for the check to bounce. It will. This scam has been identified. He's still out long distance 900 number calls to this fictious agency--so he's out on that end, and any bounce fees that his bank chooses to impose.

Tri

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
astonwest said:
I would give it to the authorities, myself...not sure about the Canadian system, but bank fraud is something the FBI (at the minimum) gets involved with down here...
The money belongs to the bank, and if the roommate doesn't give it back, they'll take the same amount out of his account or do whatever else to recover it. But now Tri says he did give it back. The Snopes site has the address of the Treasury Dept. for reporting such schemes.

The surprise here is how long it took him to understand that this deal was not good fortune.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
That's what bothered me about this. My roomates are Mormons and they are the kindest people in the world to me. They sometimes over-extend themselves, and are prey to many, many scams. They are also much younger than I am. I think he wanted to believe--see the good--and questioned why somebody would bother to pull such an elaborate stunt. Always believing in the better part of human nature, I gave them their first hard-knock schooling on what crooked people are capable of.

The roomate is extremely embarassed by this incident, having told many people of his windfall. Now it is a fall from grace for him. He got a nice lecture from me three hours ago, and I managed to lift some of that burden from his concience.
The cash is going back to Bank of America tommorow. I told him to fess up in all honesty to the teller, and give her an honest account of what happened. I'm sure they will understand this thing.

Thanks all for participating. He read all of your posts. We saved one from the clutches, though I admit, it was a close damn shave.

Tri Chris

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I think he should tell the story to a bank officer, too, if the teller doesn't take the initiative to pass the word upward. If he still has any phone numbers at which he reached the miscreants, those may help in an investigation.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Thanks all for participating. He read all of your posts. We saved one from the clutches, though I admit, it was a close damn shave.
He's lucky he had a friend looking out for him. As far as his embarassment goes, this is one reason scammers continue to flourish--because people are too embarassed to report them. I'm glad he feels better after your chat.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
triceretops said:
KTC--you are too funny. I have two Nigerian scams in the junk mail as we speak.

One day I was really bored, and inspired by the guy at Something Awful, I decided to play along with my new Nigerian Friends. It was a blast. We went on exchanging emails for about a week before Esthel Ybor finally figured out that not only was I insane, but that I lied about being independently wealthy. She was really mad at me, and told me that her attorney said "You is telling liars". One of these days I'll post the whole thing on my website just for a laugh.

:::sniff:::

It could have been such a beautiful friendship.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tri - I missed this thread until now. Just wanted to give you a huge pat on the back for helping out your friend. Thank goodness you managed to stop it before any more damage was done.

Tell your friend not to beat themselves up over this. These rat bastids are highly skilled ripoff artists who know just how to prey on good people like them.

The rest of you did a great thing here helping Tri get to the bottom of this. My hat is off to you all.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Chuck. This could have been a disaster. Though this was outside the scope of this group, AW rallied and helped me stave off a potential disaster. I think AW is a great watchdog for exposing fraud and deception in any medium. I love all of you guys for the sensitivity and information you provided.

Tri

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Glad to see it was figured out! yest another case of 'if it seems too good to be true...'

I bet there's a short story in there about a rich old guy trying to give away his money--but nobody will take it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.