the only rugby union fan

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
am i the only aspiring writer to also be interested in the rugby?

i usually lose a lot of writing time during the 6N, but not this time. im bashing my novel into shape for submission in the next month or two but today i am going into town to watch wales V scotland.

anyone else watching any of the 6N this year?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
sorry, jerry.
i think i'd like it but i really never get the opportunity to watch it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Really don't want to talk about England v Ireland

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I had an epiphany half-way through the England-Ireland match. I realised England were playing, have always played, dire plodding rugby. I switched off, and it felt good. If this John Terry business is a taste of the summer to come, I might try it in football as well.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
If this John Terry business is a taste of the summer to come, I might try it in football as well.

And hasn't Ashley Cole been a gent and taken the pressure off him....

ETA: Ellipsis control, we have a situation. Clean up on Aisle Three.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I go to the Super 14 down on the other side of the world. I'm told that this season, the Brumbies have learned to pass again.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I go to the Super 14 down on the other side of the world. I'm told that this season, the Brumbies have learned to pass again.

What's passing? England do a kind of concertinaed mulch around the game line at thirty centimetres a minute. Like a slow lane lorry crash, it has an appeal, but maybe not every game for six years.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
i dont think you england fans have much to complain about. you may be stodgy but at least youve won more than youve lost, so far. try being a wales fan, now that is frustrating.

Last edited:

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
Go Ireland ;)

i saw Brian ODriscol playing for leinster against cardiff in the arms park. ODriscol was well tackled, broke the tackle, ghosted three defenders and made 30 meters before being brought down. i said to the leinster fan standing next to me, 'how did he do that?' the reply, 'thats the magic of Dricko'. its become a catch phrase, every time i see dricko play my friends and i say it in our best (worst) irish accents. cant wait to see him in action against wales next weekend.

go ireland
c'mon wales

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score

i saw a bit of the super 12 as it was then. it was on live, gone 11.00fridaynight in cardiff, and after the pub.
what an exciting league. im used to running rugby but that was something else.

i recognise a few players from the brumbies.; rocky elsom, george smith. ashley-cooper and stirling mortlock.

you should have a good year.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I have no idea what the Waratahs have learned to do this year. Except they've remembered how to lose in South Africa.

ETA: And, one hopes, they've learned not to chase after rugby league players.

Last edited:

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
And, one hopes, they've learned not to chase after rugby league players.

a league team have signed the awesome gareth thomas from my cardiff blues this week. door goes two ways these days.

i remember when players were banned from union grounds for having been seen talking to a league player. ahh, good days.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
round four

ireland wales. this could possibly be the game of the tournament. with two teams with a similar style of play and of similar ability there is nothing to choose between them. added to that the fact that lions colleagues and club team mates are lining up against each other, players who know each other inside out, it should prove to be a fantastic match.

calcutta cup, murryfield. scotland have one of their best chances in a long time against the auld enemy. it wont be pretty, it should be close. expect grunt and grind from the getgo. maybe not flashy enough for the neutral but i am looking forward to watching one of the best arm wrestles the tournament will have to offer this year.

france italy. poor italy. they have had their best chances at wins this year (and they got one
:-0). going to stade de france, against this fantastic french outfit, one has to feel sorry for the plucky azzuri. they will give it their all but france will walk this one. plenty of dazzling back play and a big score for the french

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
There's only one reaction to yesterday's game

*headdesk*

Or maybe the Guardian said it best:

Should England, one of the biggest rugby nations in the world, stop buggering about and start flinging the damn thing around in the grand tradition? Yes.
Will they? No.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
after round four

ire-wal. a very poor wales could not test ireland. the men in green took their chances well to score heavily against a stuttering wales.

sco-eng. how close do you want it. excitement only came from the tight scoreline not from any great play.

fra-ita. how good is france? very. hats off to italy for refusing to give up. 8 trys and then i lost count. a great game of rugby.

final round

wales nervous wait for what must be a confident italy
scotland determination to score a try against their irish hosts
can england derail france' grand slam party

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I tried watching some 6-nations yesterday. ESPN has it, for some reason. I'm not sure (no offence here intended) that 6-nations rugby is the best advertisement to the USA public for rugby.

I'm down the other end of the world too. Haven't been watching the super 14 this year. The last few years of constant rule changes and mangling have put me off. Though, i am hearing better things about the game this year. Pity the Hurricanes can't win two games in a row.

But league season's just kicked off. Happy days. I just hope there's less off-field scandal this year (though the last couple months have been pretty full of it).

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure (no offence here intended) that 6-nations rugby is the best advertisement to the USA public for rugby.

the 6N is not meant to be an advert for rugby in the usa. the churchill cup is. i see there are two new teams in this competion this year-russia and uruguay. these teams compeat regulary in the second tier 6N and will hammer any usaeagles team.

the best advert for rugby in usa is a winning usa team but the irb's resources should be put into other euro teams like russia, spain and germany, and south american teams like uruguay and by supporting argentinas entry into the trinations, not by supporting the usa who have all the resources they could want in terms of players and facilities should they wish to develop them.

if the usa ever did take union seriously they could produce a seriously dangerous team.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
the 6N is not meant to be an advert for rugby in the usa.
I meant as a viewing spectacle. That and some English and French club rugby are all that ESPN broadcasts over there, and are therefore what the typical sports-viewing public views as rugby. And unfortunately a lot of that is dour, grinding forward play and backlines that look confused when they get the ball. Though, that being said, Ireland have been playing some neat open rugby, and France are trying to as well (and Wales too, though somewhat erratically--not that the French are models of consistency), and perhaps this year's rule changes will help open things up a bit. They certainly have in the Super 14, from all reports.
the churchill cup is. i see there are two new teams in this competion this year-russia and uruguay. these teams compeat regulary in the second tier 6N and will hammer any usaeagles team.
Agreed. :) And haven't both of those teams qualified for next year's world cup?

the best advert for rugby in usa is a winning usa team but the irb's resources should be put into other euro teams like russia, spain and germany, and south american teams like uruguay and by supporting argentinas entry into the trinations, not by supporting the usa who have all the resources they could want in terms of players and facilities should they wish to develop them.

if the usa ever did take union seriously they could produce a seriously dangerous team.
Yep, they sure do and sure could.

Last edited: