PDA

View Full Version : the only rugby union fan

jerry phoenix
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
am i the only aspiring writer to also be interested in the rugby?

i usually lose a lot of writing time during the 6N, but not this time. im bashing my novel into shape for submission in the next month or two but today i am going into town to watch wales V scotland.

anyone else watching any of the 6N this year?

cray
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
sorry, jerry.
i think i'd like it but i really never get the opportunity to watch it.

waylander
02-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Really don't want to talk about England v Ireland

Mr Flibble
03-01-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm watching. There are times I wish I wasn't....

Priene
03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I had an epiphany half-way through the England-Ireland match. I realised England were playing, have always played, dire plodding rugby. I switched off, and it felt good. If this John Terry business is a taste of the summer to come, I might try it in football as well.

Mr Flibble
03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
If this John Terry business is a taste of the summer to come, I might try it in football as well.

And hasn't Ashley Cole been a gent and taken the pressure off him....

ETA: Ellipsis control, we have a situation. Clean up on Aisle Three.

Ruv Draba
03-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I go to the Super 14 down on the other side of the world. I'm told that this season, the Brumbies have learned to pass again.

Priene
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I go to the Super 14 down on the other side of the world. I'm told that this season, the Brumbies have learned to pass again.

What's passing? England do a kind of concertinaed mulch around the game line at thirty centimetres a minute. Like a slow lane lorry crash, it has an appeal, but maybe not every game for six years.

jerry phoenix
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM
i dont think you england fans have much to complain about. you may be stodgy but at least youve won more than youve lost, so far. try being a wales fan, now that is frustrating.

emilycross
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Go Ireland ;)

After the soccar (henrygate) fiasco, rugby is all we have!

jerry phoenix
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Go Ireland ;)

i saw Brian ODriscol playing for leinster against cardiff in the arms park. ODriscol was well tackled, broke the tackle, ghosted three defenders and made 30 meters before being brought down. i said to the leinster fan standing next to me, 'how did he do that?' the reply, 'thats the magic of Dricko'. its become a catch phrase, every time i see dricko play my friends and i say it in our best (worst) irish accents. cant wait to see him in action against wales next weekend.

go ireland
c'mon wales

jerry phoenix
03-04-2010, 02:24 AM

i saw a bit of the super 12 as it was then. it was on live, gone 11.00fridaynight in cardiff, and after the pub.
what an exciting league. im used to running rugby but that was something else.

i recognise a few players from the brumbies.; rocky elsom, george smith. ashley-cooper and stirling mortlock.

you should have a good year.

poetinahat
03-05-2010, 02:58 AM
*sigh*

I have no idea what the Waratahs have learned to do this year. Except they've remembered how to lose in South Africa.

ETA: And, one hopes, they've learned not to chase after rugby league players.

jerry phoenix
03-06-2010, 09:47 PM
And, one hopes, they've learned not to chase after rugby league players.

a league team have signed the awesome gareth thomas from my cardiff blues this week. door goes two ways these days.

i remember when players were banned from union grounds for having been seen talking to a league player. ahh, good days.

jerry phoenix
03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
round four

ireland wales. this could possibly be the game of the tournament. with two teams with a similar style of play and of similar ability there is nothing to choose between them. added to that the fact that lions colleagues and club team mates are lining up against each other, players who know each other inside out, it should prove to be a fantastic match.

calcutta cup, murryfield. scotland have one of their best chances in a long time against the auld enemy. it wont be pretty, it should be close. expect grunt and grind from the getgo. maybe not flashy enough for the neutral but i am looking forward to watching one of the best arm wrestles the tournament will have to offer this year.

france italy. poor italy. they have had their best chances at wins this year (and they got one
:-0). going to stade de france, against this fantastic french outfit, one has to feel sorry for the plucky azzuri. they will give it their all but france will walk this one. plenty of dazzling back play and a big score for the french

Mr Flibble
03-14-2010, 04:28 PM
There's only one reaction to yesterday's game

*headdesk*

Or maybe the Guardian said it best:

Should England, one of the biggest rugby nations in the world, stop buggering about and start flinging the damn thing around in the grand tradition? Yes.
Will they? No.

jerry phoenix
03-15-2010, 12:13 AM
after round four

ire-wal. a very poor wales could not test ireland. the men in green took their chances well to score heavily against a stuttering wales.

sco-eng. how close do you want it. excitement only came from the tight scoreline not from any great play.

fra-ita. how good is france? very. hats off to italy for refusing to give up. 8 trys and then i lost count. a great game of rugby.

final round

wales nervous wait for what must be a confident italy
scotland determination to score a try against their irish hosts
can england derail france' grand slam party

Izz
03-15-2010, 07:30 AM
I tried watching some 6-nations yesterday. ESPN has it, for some reason. I'm not sure (no offence here intended) that 6-nations rugby is the best advertisement to the USA public for rugby.

I'm down the other end of the world too. Haven't been watching the super 14 this year. The last few years of constant rule changes and mangling have put me off. Though, i am hearing better things about the game this year. Pity the Hurricanes can't win two games in a row.

But league season's just kicked off. Happy days. I just hope there's less off-field scandal this year (though the last couple months have been pretty full of it).

jerry phoenix
03-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure (no offence here intended) that 6-nations rugby is the best advertisement to the USA public for rugby.

the 6N is not meant to be an advert for rugby in the usa. the churchill cup is. i see there are two new teams in this competion this year-russia and uruguay. these teams compeat regulary in the second tier 6N and will hammer any usaeagles team.

the best advert for rugby in usa is a winning usa team but the irb's resources should be put into other euro teams like russia, spain and germany, and south american teams like uruguay and by supporting argentinas entry into the trinations, not by supporting the usa who have all the resources they could want in terms of players and facilities should they wish to develop them.

if the usa ever did take union seriously they could produce a seriously dangerous team.

Izz
03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
the 6N is not meant to be an advert for rugby in the usa. I meant as a viewing spectacle. That and some English and French club rugby are all that ESPN broadcasts over there, and are therefore what the typical sports-viewing public views as rugby. And unfortunately a lot of that is dour, grinding forward play and backlines that look confused when they get the ball. Though, that being said, Ireland have been playing some neat open rugby, and France are trying to as well (and Wales too, though somewhat erratically--not that the French are models of consistency), and perhaps this year's rule changes will help open things up a bit. They certainly have in the Super 14, from all reports.
the churchill cup is. i see there are two new teams in this competion this year-russia and uruguay. these teams compeat regulary in the second tier 6N and will hammer any usaeagles team. Agreed. :) And haven't both of those teams qualified for next year's world cup?

the best advert for rugby in usa is a winning usa team but the irb's resources should be put into other euro teams like russia, spain and germany, and south american teams like uruguay and by supporting argentinas entry into the trinations, not by supporting the usa who have all the resources they could want in terms of players and facilities should they wish to develop them.

if the usa ever did take union seriously they could produce a seriously dangerous team.Yep, they sure do and sure could.

jerry phoenix
03-16-2010, 04:45 PM
how unlike rugby fans to agree on anything.

:)

jerry phoenix
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
perhaps this year's rule changes will help open things up a bit.

:cry:not another five pages in the law book, please

Izz
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
:cry:not another five pages in the law book, please
heh--i think they've actually simplified things a bit. Which is very strange and makes me think i may be in an alternate universe.

Mr Flibble
03-20-2010, 07:57 PM
France V England

I shall probably be watching through my fingers. It won't be pretty.

Mr Flibble
03-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Well that was a bit of an upset for Ireland.

And fives mins into England V France and all I can say is WTF did that come from? Martin Johnson's obviously been having a word.

jvc
03-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Missed the Ireland game, what was the score?

Mr Flibble
03-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Ireland 20, Scotland, 23

And spoke to soon. Shoulda kept my mouth shut.

jvc
03-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Darn, shame for Ireland.

England not doing too well at the moment.

Mr Flibble
03-21-2010, 01:37 AM
*sigh*

Well we played better, ( lovely try at the start) but missed chances and a spot of ill luck screwed us. We gave them nothing though -- except the penalties that were their only score.

*sigh*

waylander
03-21-2010, 01:47 AM
Ill luck and poor discipline screwed us.

jvc
03-21-2010, 01:48 AM
and slippery fingers

Mr Flibble
03-21-2010, 02:50 AM
WTF have I got a kinky chihuahua as my avi!

*gets pointy stick ready for Haggis*

jerry phoenix
03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
as a welsh man i cant possibly say i watched fra eng as a neutral but still i find it easy to say, well done england, you really tested those guys last night.well done MJ for finaly giving foden a run and for using flood at flyhalf to get those backs going . floods distribution was key to eng's early success and johnny did a good job at the end-a massive kick from the wounded wonder. a great tactical sub as he could have landed a winning drop at the end.

ire sco. what a game, a fantastic display. passion, pride and a hard, hard edge. a brutal and beautiful disply of rugby at its most exciting.

wal ita. :-) ok it was a weakened italy but they could have upset wales, it could have happened, but our lions, gethin and mikky phillips proved their worth to wales and showed how badly we have missed them. great debutant displays from young Prydie and Warburton, a big furture in wales for these guys.
well done to italy for never giving up. the consolation try at the death was well deserved but little real reward for italys effort this term. with two italian teams entering the celtic league next season this could be the last year we look at italy as a sure thing game

a crazy tournament this year but to the champions,

grand slam. c'est bon

darkprincealain
07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I just joined a club forming in Kansas City. Our first practice is on Thursday. Rugby is not particularly televised in the States, so I think I'm in for a lot of learning.

It's a particularly agressive practice schedule I think, with us starting pick-up games in September. I hope that's enough time. :D

darkprincealain
07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
First practice last night! Ibuprofen this morning!

Kewii
07-21-2010, 07:26 PM
First practice last night! Ibuprofen this morning!

Congrats on surviving your first practice.

I started playing rugby about a year and a half ago. I play 7s. There's no womens 15s in the middle east, though I think I'd be a better 15s player.

Any thoughts on positions you'd like to play?

P.S how's everyone enjoying the Tri Nations?

darkprincealain
07-23-2010, 09:13 PM
I believe last night was my fifth practice/our sixth practice. We have around 30 guys coming regularly, about 18 available for each practice. Ibuprofen again this morning, but I am having a blast. :D

Izz
07-24-2010, 01:45 AM
P.S how's everyone enjoying the Tri Nations?Happy to see the All Blacks performing like a cohesive unit again; these rule changes have really slotted in with the natural way they play. Too early to get excited about their World Cup chances next year (we all know they have a habit of choking at the big tournament) but if the rules stay the same the World Cup will be a much freer flowing affair than the previous one.

darkprincealain
08-19-2010, 01:39 AM
I think based on recent practices I'm probably going to be playing one of the wings.

We had our Annual General Meeting last night which seemed to go well. I'm hoping to see good things come out of that. In the States, it's hard to get rugby coverage, so I must admit to some amount of ignorance on the Tri Nations.

Izz
08-19-2010, 01:48 AM
I think based on recent practices I'm probably going to be playing one of the wings.Neat. Wing is a fun place to learn the game, i reckon.

Kewii
08-23-2010, 02:24 AM
I think based on recent practices I'm probably going to be playing one of the wings.

We had our Annual General Meeting last night which seemed to go well. I'm hoping to see good things come out of that. In the States, it's hard to get rugby coverage, so I must admit to some amount of ignorance on the Tri Nations.

I played Wing my first year. I then moved to prop for my second year. It sounds a little weird, but it was a good decision. Though, my shoulders still hate me for it.

Tri Nations are a series of games between New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa.

Izz
08-23-2010, 02:26 AM
I played Wing my first year. I then moved to prop for my second year. It sounds a little weird, but it was a good decision.That is an unusual move. Were you playing in a grade where there wasn't much difference in size across positions?

Tri Nations are a series of games between New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa.Which, just quietly, New Zealand won on the weekend.

Kewii
08-24-2010, 01:49 AM
That is an unusual move. Were you playing in a grade where there wasn't much difference in size across positions?

Which, just quietly, New Zealand won on the weekend.

We play 7s and I was always a bigger wing player, but we had a large team at the time, so there weren't many back row players.

This year, we had a ton of back row players and only a few front rows, so I moved up.

And woot new Zealand!

Izz
08-24-2010, 02:41 AM
We play 7sAh, i see. That makes sense. Never usually much size difference across a 7s team. Everybody's gotta be able to run.

darkprincealain
09-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Congrats to New Zealand. :D

I finally watched a preseason game in person a couple of Saturdays ago. Those guys made it seem a lot less rough-and-tumble than I was expecting. Then we did a bunch of tackling practice at the Thursday practice right after that, and I swiftly changed my mind. :D

darkprincealain
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
We had our first scrimmage on Sunday, which we broke into 20-minute quarters, because the guys on my team are about 90% brand new to rugby, so there was a lot of learning to be done still.

I played left wing. We were without any back subs because a lot of our backs had prior commitments. We ended up having to borrow from the forwards. But in the end, all went well.

jerry phoenix
10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
i have not been here for a long time.

i checked in to see if anyone was writing about the golf. was surprised to see some people were still posting on this old rugby thread.

well done darkprince for taking up the game. i played left wing too, which was the worst possition for me as i am not fast and cant pass to my right. i should have been a prop, i have the build for it now. dont play anymore, i hyperextended my right knee a few years back, still walk with a limp when it's cold.

here is some rugby humour from the canadians

http://www.suite101.com/content/rugby-balls---a-z-of-rugby-union-a-k-a282841

darkprincealain
10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes, it appears outside of a couple of story research threads, this is the place to go to talk about rugby. Thanks Jerry! I hope the knee doesn't give you too much trouble. Aches and pains aren't much fun.

I seem to do okay passing right, but I need to work on my kicks to really be effective on the left side. That's okay though because I've been moved to outside center for our tourney on Oct. 30. I haven't seen the bracket yet, I imagine that'll come on the day of.

WelshWriter
11-02-2010, 03:21 AM
As a Welsh man I have no choice but to love rugby - we're forced into it!

Seriously though I am proper obsessed with it - and very excited that under armour (who make the Welsh shirts) have given me box tickets to watch Wales vs Oz this weekend - simply because I blog about Welsh rugby!

I still play as well, just moved to London so playing her now - a team called Old Alleynians in South London

p.s. we're going to get hammered this November

Izz
11-02-2010, 03:32 AM
As a Welsh man I have no choice but to love rugby - we're forced into it!

Seriously though I am proper obsessed with it - and very excited that under armour (who make the Welsh shirts) have given me box tickets to watch Wales vs Oz this weekend - simply because I blog about Welsh rugby!

I still play as well, just moved to London so playing her now - a team called Old Alleynians in South London

p.s. we're going to get hammered this NovemberYay for free tickets.

Australia might still be coming down off their high from beating the ABs, so your lads could be in with a chance. The Aussie forward pack is rubbish (bar Pocock), so if you shut him down you should be able to monster them both at scrum and ruck time.

poetinahat
11-02-2010, 03:42 AM
Yeah, there's no way the Wallabies should have gotten up against the All Blacks.

Oh, wait... it's a World Cup year.

:poke:

(Having said that, I can barely even remember what the Bledisloe Cup looks like... *sigh*)

Izz
11-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Yeah, there's no way the Wallabies should have gotten up against the All Blacks.

Oh, wait... it's a World Cup year.

:poke:

(Having said that, I can barely even remember what the Bledisloe Cup looks like... *sigh*):D Yeah, i think we've done our usual winning rampage the year before the world cup trick. Which means come world cup we'll be poo-tacular

Wallabies are on the improve. Kurtley Beale will be the world's best fullback within the next 2 years, methinks. Pity about that slug resting just below his nose. Quade Cooper can't tackle, but he can create space out of nothing on attack. And James 'Beiber' O'Connor just gets better and better.

:Trophy:--and my ABs never get to do this with the most important trophy of them all.

poetinahat
11-02-2010, 04:02 AM
But even if we win, you win anyway... as long as Mr. Robbie Deans is there. Could there have been any more frank admission of who's king of the hill, World Cup or no World Cup?

As long as we're both smashing the Boks, all's right with the world. :D

Izz
11-02-2010, 04:04 AM
As long as we're both smashing the Boks, all's right with the world. :DRight on, brother!

WelshWriter
11-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Kurtley Beale will be the world's best fullback within the next 2 years, methinks. Pity about that slug resting just below his nose. .

It's Movember, you can't say that! (mind you his is permanently woeful, not just for Movember)

Izz
11-02-2010, 04:31 AM
It's Movember, you can't say that! (mind you his is permanently woeful, not just for Movember)Yep, it's Woevember for his mo.

WelshWriter
11-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Lol.

England and Ireland teams been announced

Think I saw I can link to my own sites so long as it is relevant so. If not let me know and I'll remove them

England Team vs New Zealand (http://rugbydungeon.com/forum/english-rugby/england-team-announced/)

Ireland Team vs South Africa (http://rugbydungeon.com/forum/irish-board/ireland-team-vs-south-africa/)

Gatland not announcing the Welsh team until thurs - waiting on a couple of injuries - Bradley Davies and a couple of others

darkprincealain
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Final scores on our team's tourney from the 30th: won 7-0, lost 0-20, tied 5-5. :D Pretty good for being a four-month-old team.

Izz
11-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Final scores on our team's tourney from the 30th: won 7-0, lost 0-20, won 5-5. :D Pretty good for being a four-month-old team.Good stuff :)

darkprincealain
11-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Oops, that 5-5 game was a tie, of course.

Mr Flibble
11-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Lol.

England and Ireland teams been announced

Think I saw I can link to my own sites so long as it is relevant so. If not let me know and I'll remove them

England Team vs New Zealand (http://rugbydungeon.com/forum/english-rugby/england-team-announced/)

Ireland Team vs South Africa (http://rugbydungeon.com/forum/irish-board/ireland-team-vs-south-africa/)

Gatland not announcing the Welsh team until thurs - waiting on a couple of injuries - Bradley Davies and a couple of others

Not a very good show from the northern hemisphere, score wise at least.

I think fingers and other things need crossing for the 6 nations. Maybe I could send a magpie here or there :D

Izz
11-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Not a very good show from the northern hemisphere, score wise at least.I thought the English team were competitive. Threw the ball around a lot more than i expected them to.

poetinahat
11-08-2010, 05:03 AM
The article I read about the Australia-Wales game said that, while the Wallabies won, their pack has been exposed again, and that the English pack must be licking their lips. (They really could have used a better metaphor; I would have said "licking their chops", at least.)

Oops, that 5-5 game was a tie, of course.

There's a great quote I vaguely remember from the football World Cup - something about winning 1-all, losing 2-1 and drawing 1-2 against different levels of opposition. I'll go find it.

darkprince, I hope you've found some subs -- or that you've achieved superhuman fitness!

Mr Flibble
11-08-2010, 05:13 AM
I thought the English team were competitive. Threw the ball around a lot more than i expected them to.

You need to be more than competitive against the All Blacks. Still, they didn't whitewash us. There's hope yet

*sinks into usual English sporting mood, which is, bleh*

Mr Flibble
11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
35-18 versus Australia.

To us

*faints*

Izz
11-14-2010, 12:53 AM
35-18 versus Australia.

To us

*faints*:)

Youse guys are gonna be tricky come world cup next year.

Mr Flibble
11-14-2010, 03:36 AM
:)

Youse guys are gonna be tricky come world cup next year.

It'll be about time!

Jonno did an interview I read today about being scary on the picth. Easy for him to say lol. O'Driscoll said (paraphrasing) when Jonna retired it was a huge morale boost for them because seeing Jonno run towards you...

I miss Lol :( (no, not laugh out loud if you ain't a fan) We got some good young players ettling in though. Here's hoping (cautiously)

waylander
11-14-2010, 04:26 AM
That was one hell of a try England scored today

Izz
11-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Munster, eh? That's 4 wins out of 9 games v Australia. They're good at knocking off international teams.

Mr Flibble
11-20-2010, 09:35 PM
GO SCOTLAND!!! 21-17 v South Africa

On second thoughts, it's going to make SA v grumpy next Saturday.

darkprincealain
11-24-2010, 04:14 AM
darkprince, I hope you've found some subs -- or that you've achieved superhuman fitness!

Thank you very much. We have found subs, though in our area we seem to be struggling to find forwards, which given the physical makeup of the general populace, I find mystifying.

I'm working on the fitness thing. My goal is to have some sort of fitness goal by new years eve. I want to hit the spring part of the season at a flying leap! We have some tough games ahead, from my brief review of the schedule the other night.

Kewii
11-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you very much. We have found subs, though in our area we seem to be struggling to find forwards, which given the physical makeup of the general populace, I find mystifying.

I'm actually not that surprised. I find that, generally, larger people don't do sports--or don't think they can do sports. It usually takes someone talking them into rugby when they realize they can fit in.

It's like my team is always quoting around "rugby has positions for everyone." It's one of the lines we use when recruiting.

Good news is, my team finally found a coach. Which means I can chill out a bit :) Planning practices was a little bit stressful for me. Considering my limited experience.

darkprincealain
11-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Oh we definitely use variations of that line when recruiting. There are a lot of objections about how rough a sport it is from the tiny guys who are curious about playing, as well.

Congrats on the coach Kewii! I know what that can be like. We've been in the same place, once before.

darkprincealain
12-19-2010, 10:26 AM
We just had our general meeting today. What a snoozefest these are. But the food was good. :D

Joel Hopkins
01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Any one else a rugby league fan? I'm a massive Leeds Rhinos fan.

Izz
01-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Any one else a rugby league fan? I'm a massive Leeds Rhinos fan.NZ Warriors fan here.

Mr Flibble
02-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Holy hand grenade of Antioch!

Good start to the 6 nations for England. (I missed the match, cos I was working, but I like the score. Hubby says England did good in first half, not so good in second)

darkprincealain
02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I missed the start to the 6 nations. They're actually showing it here, for once.

Unfortunately the weekend was busy with gearing up for the start to our sevens season, so I was busy doing endurance and fitness stuff for that.

Theo81
02-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Holy hand grenade of Antioch!

Good start to the 6 nations for England. (I missed the match, cos I was working, but I like the score. Hubby says England did good in first half, not so good in second)

Pah. England would never have won if we'd played better.

*sulks*

I don't mind us losing. I do mind us playing s**** rugby.

Mr Flibble
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't mind us losing. I do mind us playing s**** rugby.

Take heart - for a while now it's been the England fans forced to say that...

Mr Flibble
02-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Belatedly- France - England. Hehehe. Nasty match, nasty conditions. Came through against our biggest threat.

Ireland-Scotland - Scotland unlucky . Bit of odd info...at least three players are descended from an Irish King according to dna(two Irish players, one scot). But then again , he was apparently so...nice to women...that up to 10% of both Irish and Scots have part of his dna...

Izz
02-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Belatedly- France - England. Hehehe. Nasty match, nasty conditions. Came through against our biggest threat.

Ireland-Scotland - Scotland unlucky . Bit of odd info...at least three players are descended from an Irish King according to dna(two Irish players, one scot). But then again , he was apparently so...nice to women...that up to 10% of both Irish and Scots have part of his dna...The pull of royalty, eh?

darkprincealain
03-03-2011, 10:09 PM
We lost our first sevens tourney, but it was darn good experience. :D

Ah yes, the *ahem* pull of royalty. ;)