PDA

View Full Version : Should Valentine's Day Be Banned?

Paul
02-13-2010, 04:35 AM
I mean suppose you happen to be single, and well...

Sneaky Devil
02-13-2010, 04:38 AM
YES!

Oh.. I mean... uh-huh. Worthless holiday if you ask me. Just an excuse for people who are happily in a relationship to remind the rest of us that we're not. It's not necessarily a bad thing not to be, but to have such romance and happiness shoved down my throat every year makes me want to ralph. :D

alleycat
02-13-2010, 04:38 AM
What about Mother's Day and Father's Day?

Thanksgiving Day? Someone could be in a grumpy mood!

St. Patrick's Day? Does the world really need green beer?

;-)

Ken
02-13-2010, 04:41 AM
... the same argument might be used to ban Christmas, as not everyone is of the according faith. I feel your pain, though.

Rhoda Nightingale
02-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Not a fan of V-Day. Not even a little bit. But let's not forget that it can be a huge headache for couples as well as singles.

Libbie
02-13-2010, 04:44 AM

Valentine's Day is stupid. I've always thought so, when I was single and not single. However, I'm married to a guy who loves to celebrate it, so whatever. At least we're poor this year, so I talked him into going to the natural history museum and making home-made macaroni for dinner.

I call Valentine's Day "V.D."

Suck it, V.D.

Sneaky Devil
02-13-2010, 04:45 AM
I tend to agree with you RN. Particularly if you enjoy the holiday but your partner doesn't. I just find it annoying that when I walk into a store or something I'm bombarded with cute pinkness everywhere I turn, happy couples going all gooey-eyed over each other even more than usual, and the constant "Oh you'll never guess what I got for Valentine's Day this year!" I don't know, it just seems to me like if you're with someone you should appreciate and love them every day, not just one day out of the year.

Paul
02-13-2010, 04:49 AM
What about Mother's Day and Father's Day?

Thanksgiving Day? Someone could be in a grumpy mood!

St. Patrick's Day? Does the world really need green beer?

;-)

Ban St Paddy's Day???
Are you insane??
How would people who dont drink have an excuse to get drunk, and maybe end up arguing with their girlfriend and end up single on St Va
- oh, right.

scarletpeaches
02-13-2010, 04:54 AM
Not a fan of V-Day. Not even a little bit. But let's not forget that it can be a huge headache for couples as well as singles.This.

I think couples have it worse to be honest. They have pressure to perform whereas I just have to deal with pity, being single.

I don't see a need to ban it, though. I think celebration of the day is materialistic idiocy but each to their own. It's no skin off my nose if you think you have to buy jewellery, flowers and chocolates to prove your love to someone on one arbitrary day of the year.

Fran
02-13-2010, 04:56 AM
I've never seen green beer here on Paddy's Day. Lots of black ale, though. ;)

I went to one of the shopping centres in Paisley today. I had to pass Thornton's which was all chocolate lovehearts and pink ribbons. It made me feel sad and lonely.

Then I passed Poundland, which was selling a dozen plastic red roses for £1, and I started giggling, because some poor sap is going to get them for his girlfriend thinking she'll be overwhelmed with joy. More likely he'll be overwhelmed with the pain of having them shoved up his arse. :D

Sneaky Devil
02-13-2010, 04:57 AM
:ROFL: Fran you are the best. This is why I adore you! :ROFL:

firedrake
02-13-2010, 04:59 AM
It's nowt but a money racket.

I also agree that it's harder on couples because there are expectations. I'm just glad my husband is about as romantic as a bag of rocks. :D

eta: Fran - hahahahahahaha!

Paul
I've never seen green beer here on Paddy's Day. Lots of black ale, though. ;)

I went to one of the shopping centres in Paisley today. I had to pass Thornton's which was all chocolate lovehearts and pink ribbons. It made me feel sad and lonely.

Then I passed Poundland, which was selling a dozen plastic red roses for £1, and I started giggling, because some poor sap is going to get them for his girlfriend thinking she'll be overwhelmed with joy. More likely he'll be overwhelmed with the pain of having them shoved up his arse. :D

LOL!!!

SirOtter
Ban thye damned thing. I've been married for going on thirty years, and it's no longer about us; it's about her. It's about me spending ridiculous sums on some elaborate scheme, while she accepts no responsibility at all. Same with our anniversary. We were both there at Church of the Advent in 1981, so why am I the only one responsible for putting on a circus to entertain her? And do I get any appreciation? No, only approbation if I fail to acquire and celebrate according to her whims. She nearly forgot my birthday a couple of years ago, and spent my birthday dinner last year filling me in on all the myriad ways I am a lousy excuse for a human being.

Shit. Ban all holidays created by florists and candy companies and Hallmark solely to line their pockets at my expense. Fuggem.

Cranky
02-13-2010, 05:00 AM
I've always liked Valentine's Day, kid or adult, single or married. It's not a big holiday, for sure, but eh. Then again, my hubby buys flowers or little gifts or does something nice for me pretty much every day, and I do the same kinds of things (minus flowers) so there's no need for either of us to "prove" anything about our feelings for each other on Valentine's Day.

Our anniversary, though...that's my biggie.

Cranky
02-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Ban thye damned thing. I've been married for going on thirty years, and it's no longer about us; it's about her. It's about me spending ridiculous sums on some elaborate scheme, while she accepts no responsibility at all. Same with our anniversary. We were both there at Church of the Advent in 1981, so why am I the only one responsible for putting on a circus to entertain her? And do I get any appreciation? No, only approbation if I fail to acquire and celebrate according to her whims. She nearly forgot my birthday a couple of years ago, and spent my birthday dinner last year filling me in on all the myriad ways I am a lousy excuse for a human being.

Shit. Ban all holidays created by florists and candy companies and Hallmark solely to line their pockets at my expense. Fuggem.

No offense meant, but it sounds to me like the issue isn't with the holiday.

alleycat
02-13-2010, 05:03 AM
Someone needs a Pick-Me-Up® bouquet. And a card. And some candy. Maybe a hug . . .

;-)

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:04 AM

Em, oops...
However judging by your general postings, I suspect you have your tongue firmly lodged in cheek...

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Celebrating one's love for another does not need a holiday,
more often I think it could take a holiday,
but there's no need (in my mind) at all, for VD Day.

If I care about someone, I do it every single day of the year and there's no way in heck that dead flowers and a box of chocolates is going to make that any easier!

LOL!

Freudian or what?

Fran
02-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Does VD mean the same thing in America?

scarletpeaches
02-13-2010, 05:09 AM
From Valentine's to crotch-rot in one page.

Who says romance is dead?

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Celebrating one's love for another does not need a holiday,
more often I think it could take a holiday,
but there's no need (in my mind) at all, for VD Day.

If I care about someone, I do it every single day of the year and there's no way in heck that dead flowers and a box of chocolates is going to make that any easier!
Seriously though, you're right.
But VD (couldn't resist) day is pretty annoying/ intimidating when your single

alleycat
02-13-2010, 05:10 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/sarcastic_cat_valentines_day_card-p137810189422882437qqld_400.jpg

Sneaky Devil
02-13-2010, 05:15 AM
:ROFL:

Killin me people!!

Seriously though, a year ago at this time, my husband and I were still together, and I still saw no point in V-Day. I've never once in my life gotten a flower or a piece of candy from anybody other than my mother on this particular holiday. (I was young and she's just weird like that.) I don't really see the point in it though. Yes I suppose those are nice ways to show somebody you care, but I can think of far better ways to do that than buying candy and flowers.

scarletpeaches
02-13-2010, 05:18 AM
I've received one Valentine's card in my entire life, but it doesn't count. Why? Because it was from a male friend who found out I'd never received one and had one made specially at a street market - had a little vampire bat on it. Heh.

Anyway, I always looked upon it as a charity thing. A pity-card. He was doing it to make me feel better and it just made me feel pitied.

Tepelus
02-13-2010, 05:19 AM
From Valentine's to crotch-rot in one page.

Who says romance is dead?

Couldn't help but laugh out loud on that one! :roll:

Tepelus
02-13-2010, 05:22 AM
My mom was born on Valentine's Day. My dad always buys her a dozen yellow roses. How sweet. The men I've been with buy me shit.

ad_lucem
02-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Does VD mean the same thing in America?

So far as I know it is the same with all the connections to penicillin and topical anti-itch creams one would expect... um...

So..

Ew...

Anyways, :Shrug:.... Valentines, eh, I can take or leave it. It's one more thing to have a headache over with school-aged children. Other than that, I barely notice it. I'm not one of those "harrumph, it's valentines day and my significant other didn't get me anything wah..." sort of people. Nor have I ever been one to really care that much about that kind of thing.

I can remember being out on my own at 17...going to the hair salon, reading the WSJ...and the lady doing my hair being shocked and horrified that I skipped out on highschool to attend community college and work.

"How could you miss your PROM!!" (it was that time of the year and there were other gals in there my age getting their hair done for that all-important "prom" thing)

Valentines, mother's day, my birthday, proms,... meh... whatever. I'll take the chocolate, though. That's kind of cool.

I don't get my undies tied in a knot over it, though. I've never gotten really into the hype of our culture. I've always kind of been an outsider looking in thinking most of it is strange, anyway.

I like a party, but I don't worry about the supposed "significance" of it.

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:23 AM
You know what I've just noticed?
I'M THE ONLY MAN THAT HAS POSTED ON THIS!
(as far as I can tell)
WHAT DOES THAT SAY?

Opps sorry SirOtter

Sneaky Devil
02-13-2010, 05:24 AM
For that I can understand. B-Day present is acceptable to me.....if it happens to fall on the same day, that is. I have a friend who expects her hubby to get her a V-Day/B-Day present on both days because they are just a few days apart. Ridiculous!

Matera the Mad
i can haz ignorz

Except that my place of employment has an annual fundraiser called the "Love Festival Concert" that actually falls on Feb. 14 this year. :o I do the posters, etc., and a PowerPoint thing. I love being employed :D

alleycat
Anyway, I always looked upon it as a charity thing. A pity-card. He was doing it to make me feel better and it just made me feel pitied.
Ahhhh . . . come here, give me a hug.

(I'm going to get slapped, aren't I?)

alleycat
02-13-2010, 05:25 AM
(as far as I can tell)
WHAT DOES THAT SAY?
Thanks a lot, buster.

Wanna arm wrestle?

ad_lucem
02-13-2010, 05:26 AM
(as far as I can tell)
WHAT DOES THAT SAY?

Opps sorry SirOtter

**shaking head**

**sighing**

**patting paul on the back**

Well...

**sighing**

scarletpeaches
02-13-2010, 05:28 AM
For that I can understand. B-Day present is acceptable to me.....if it happens to fall on the same day, that is. I have a friend who expects her hubby to get her a V-Day/B-Day present on both days because they are just a few days apart. Ridiculous!Well why not? They're two separate occasions.

I used to have a friend whose birthday was on Christmas Eve and most people only got her one present, which pissed her off and no wonder. A birthday is supposed to be personal to you but hers got lost in the materialistic wank of the season.

NOTE TO COUPLES: NO SMEXYBOINGBOING IN MARCH, MMKAY?

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:30 AM
**shaking head**

**sighing**

**patting paul on the back**

Well...

**sighing**

Ha Ha. Thanks for the patting :)

Anyway, here's the big question
Should I drop a Valentine's Day Card into the ex, even though I'm not sure we're good for each other, but I do miss her? I ask because it might actually upset her (old wounds etc)?

Sneaky Devil
02-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Well why not? They're two separate occasions.

I used to have a friend whose birthday was on Christmas Eve and most people only got her one present, which pissed her off and no wonder. A birthday is supposed to be personal to you but hers got lost in the materialistic wank of the season.

NOTE TO COUPLES: NO SMEXYBOINGBOING IN MARCH, MMKAY?
I meant she wanted a V-Day present and a B-Day present both on each day. So instead of getting one for each, she'd get two for each. Two presents on b-day then two more on v-day a few days later. Insanity if you ask me.

scarletpeaches
If someone's your ex, they're your ex for a reason.

So you miss her? Big deal. Think about how she might feel about this. It may very well open old wounds. It may make her think your intentions are other than what they really are.

Spend the money on beer instead. I would.

Tepelus
I also have a cousin that was born on Christmas, and if I had waited a few hours, I would have been born on the Fourth of July. And my brother would have been on Halloween. We like holidays in my family, apparently. Oh, and the other brother was born on Pearl Harbor day.

Ken
02-13-2010, 05:40 AM
... always did like those tiny, heart-shaped candies, though. Tasted like any other sugary, tooth-rotting candy, but the messages printed on them were neat. Some said 'I love you,' others, 'Be mine.' I know they were generic and all. Even so, when I read 'em I felt like some mysterious person was relaying the message just to me :-)

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:40 AM
And that's how we learn to extract what's due, beforehand! :evil

Before a hand what?
Oh, right, got ye.
Same thing actually
So it's payment up front...:) funny

Silver King
02-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Paul, you need to take matters into your own hands. Treat yourself to a nice dinner (candlelight optional), buy some expensive brand of motion lotion, rent a steamy video of your favorite acts of "romantic" depravity, then enjoy the love that only you alone can bestow upon your person sans a partner.

This way, you can still celebrate the occasion in fine fashion without bemoaning that you are single. :Thumbs:

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:42 AM
... always did like those tiny, heart-shaped candies, though. Tasted like any other sugary, tooth-rotting candy, but the messages printed on them were neat. Some said 'I love you,' others, 'Be mine.' I know they were generic and all. Even so, when I read 'em I felt like some mysterious person was relaying the message just to me :-)

LOL
Em, perhaps your playing it a little too safe....

:D

Sneaky Devil
02-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Dammit Silver King! Quite telling everyone my plans! :rolleyes:

alleycat
02-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Paul, you need to take matters into your own hands. Treat yourself to a nice dinner (candlelight optional), buy some expensive brand of motion lotion, rent a steamy video of your favorite acts of "romantic" depravity, then enjoy the love that only you alone can bestow upon your person sans a partner.

This way, you can still celebrate the occasion in fine fashion without bemoaning that you are single. :Thumbs:
Maybe he can write himself a little poem too . . .

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:45 AM

Funny. Your funny

It was a relatively serious question,(really) but i suppose i do know the answer...

Ken
Dammit Silver King! Quite telling everyone my plans! :rolleyes:

... too late. I'm planning to employ them myself now ;-)
Rather than a restaurant though I think I'll have a cookout in the woods.

Fran

You should also buy yourself a dozen plastic red roses from Poundland. :D

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Maybe he can write himself a little poem too . . .

:)

But i will withdraw my pity net.
Unlike Speaches, I like to be pitied.:tongue

alleycat
02-13-2010, 05:51 AM
And if you don't know where to find those...
just ask our much beloved SK! =)
I doubt it. He probably only has fishing videos.

Which reminds me, it's about time for SK to somehow find a reason to post his erotic fish picture . . .

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:51 AM
You should also buy yourself a dozen plastic red roses from Poundland. :D

Ouch!
WTF?
So I make a witty comment on someone suggesting women sell their bodies for goods. Isn't that a good thing?
Only kidding - I'm far from offended. Funny stuff.

aadams73
02-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Anyway, here's the big question
Should I drop a Valentine's Day Card into the ex, even though I'm not sure we're good for each other, but I do miss her? I ask because it might actually upset her (old wounds etc)?

I say do it.

But then I'm a hopeless romantic who believes two people who care can work anything out if they want it enough.

Life's too short, ya know?

Silver King
02-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Funny. Your funny...
I don't know about that, but I did laugh a little while tapping out that post. :D

Libbie
02-13-2010, 05:54 AM

Divorce her, bro. Just sayin'.

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:55 AM
I say do it.

But then I'm a hopeless romantic who believes two people who care can work anything out if they want it enough.

Life's too short, ya know?

Interesting.
Can i ask if your male aadams?
JUst wonder if there's a gender difference

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't know about that, but I did laugh a little while tapping out that post. :D

:D :D :D

tiny
02-13-2010, 05:57 AM
I think polishing off a bottle of beautiful Irish Whiskey is a good way to celebrate without all the hoopla of cards and hearts and pink.

aadams73
02-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Interesting.

Most definitely a woman.

And I'm sure there's a huge difference.

I'm just saying don't let pride or stubbornness get in the way of expressing how you really do feel. People change. Situations change.

Paul
02-13-2010, 05:59 AM
I think polishing off a bottle of beautiful Irish Whiskey is a good way to celebrate without all the hoopla of cards and hearts and pink.

Em, well I'm Irish so em, that's kinda a given...

Libbie
02-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Most definitely a woman.

I'm just saying don't let pride or stubbornness get in the way of expressing how you really do feel. People change. Situations change.

Counterpoint: could potentially make her hate you forever.

Silver King
02-13-2010, 06:00 AM
And if you don't know where to find those...
just ask our much beloved SK! =)
A little cod liver oil and the original version of Moby Dick is all I need to get the juices flowing.

...Which reminds me, it's about time for SK to somehow find a reason to post his erotic fish picture . . .
Don't tempt me!

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Most definitely a woman.

Thanks.
Have to say its is a tough one to call, because if i don't act fairly soon (no communication for 6 weeks) it will def be over for good. So maybe St Val is the man

Ken
02-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Interesting.

... female. I turned off display avatars many moons ago, but still recollect her features quite clearly ... along with the fact she's taken :-(

aadams73
02-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Counterpoint: could potentially make her hate you forever.

True. Or not.

I just figure what does the guy have to lose?

(Beside his sanity and his balls--and if he misses her anyway...)

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Valentines Day be banned? No way! It's the Daytona 500 Bay-bee!
We are having cupcakes, and I am giving my son a Sponge-bob video.

What could be better?

alleycat
02-13-2010, 06:04 AM

What could be better?
A new shower curtain?

;-)

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:07 AM
A new shower curtain?

;-)

Well, now you've got me thinking. :D

LOL!

aadams73
02-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks.
Have to say its is a tough one to call, because if i don't act fairly soon (no communication for 6 weeks) it will def be over for good. So maybe St Val is the man

So do it. And good luck to you. :)

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:08 AM
A new shower curtain?

;-)

It does all eventually boil down to quality furnishing in the end doesn't it? (sigh)

Still. I'm not there yet!!!

alleycat
02-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Well, now you've got me thinking. :D

LOL!
You could get one with little hearts on it. Or cupids. Make it a special occasion, like putting up the Christmas tree. The hanging of the Valentine's Day shower curtain . . .

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:10 AM

What could be better?

Well, I suppose there's many forms of love...

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:11 AM
My fellow countrymen and wimmens, and other-country-folk:
Who can disparage an aimless and wanton quest for chocolate and flowers, or at least, chocolate?
I, in good faith, I cannot.
Chocolate is important.
Lolcatz told me so.

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:12 AM
... reminds me of that Zen parable about the sound of one hand clapping. This enigma will undoubtedly be just as hard to unravel, unless I can manage to extract a hint ;-)

Or else talk to Silver King - he seems to have that enigma covered...

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:12 AM
You could get one with little hearts on it. Or cupids. Make it a special occasion, like putting up the Christmas tree. The hanging of the Valentine's Day shower curtain . . .
I'm sending that post to Staples so they can print out a banner for me. I just shed a tear...

KellyAssauer
02-13-2010, 06:14 AM

Just. Shoot. me. now.

alleycat
02-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Have it both ways, Paul. If you want to get back together with your ex (which is what I'm hearing), send her a Valentine's Day card but sign it Your Secret Soulmate or something equally sappy.

She will then probably call you. If she sounds pleased, admit you sent the card. If she sounds pissed, deny all involvement and go to a pub and get drunk and sing stupid songs.

alleycat
02-13-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm sending that post to Staples so they can print out a banner for me. I just shed a tear...
There, there. If you lived closer I would offer to take you to Bed Bath & Beyond . . .

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:18 AM
My fellow countrymen and wimmens, and other-country-folk:
Who can disparage an aimless and wanton quest for chocolate and flowers, or at least, chocolate?
I, in good faith, I cannot.
Chocolate is important.
Lolcatz told me so.
Yeah -chocolate.
Hey did someone say there's a Baliey's chocolate version?
Could be the answer to all my prayers
Whiskey, Chocolate, and em whiskey

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Assauer is invited to the tailgate nommies, but not required to watch the race.

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Ok, i have to ask what is Daytona 500?

alleycat
Ok, i have to ask what is Daytona 500?
A major auto race in the US.

C.bronco
Yeah -chocolate.
Hey did someone say there's a Baliey's chocolate version?
Could be the answer to all my prayers
Whiskey, Chocolate, and em whiskey
That's what we call (those of us who watch Food Network) kicking it up a notch!
I think Paul's request, as per Valentine's Day, is completely appropriate.

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Have it both ways, Paul. If you want to get back together with your ex (which is what I'm hearing), send her a Valentine's Day card but sign it Your Secret Soulmate or something equally sappy.

She will then probably call you. If she sounds pleased, admit you sent the card. If she sounds pissed, deny all involvement and go to a pub and get drunk and sing stupid songs.

Your Secret Soulmate?
Wow. Now who's the poet.

;)
where's them plastic roses....

Tepelus
02-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Tis where a bunch of cars go round an' round.

alleycat
02-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Your Secret Soulmate?
Wow. Now who's the poet.

I've been around the block a few times . . .

And double parked once or twice.

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:24 AM
I think Paul's request, as per Valentine's Day, is completely appropriate.

Yes, but St Val's day might actually be a way back into an otherwise difficult situation. Having said that - it could do the opposite. Anyway, i'll have to think about it. Sober. (ish)

mscelina
02-13-2010, 06:25 AM

Um...no. Stupid idea. That would be like me wanting to ban Olympic ice skating because I can't walk on dry concrete much less an ice rink.

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:26 AM

And double parked once or twice.

I used to Kerb Crawl. Does that count?

JOKE!!!!:D

scarletpeaches
02-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Most definitely a woman.

I'm just saying don't let pride or stubbornness get in the way of expressing how you really do feel. People change. Situations change.I'm female too but I'm way more cynical than what aadams73 is.

Also, Paul? It's YOU'RE when you're (see?) abbreviating 'you are'. Not 'your'.

GAH!

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:34 AM
That could be an event. The Olympic Folk like to stay hip, so I hear.

scarletpeaches
02-13-2010, 06:35 AM

And double parked once or twice.Yeah but there was no need to stop at every house.

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Valentine's Day isn't about whether or not you've found a special someone; it's about having an extra day to eat choclate with people you love, or, in my case, cupcakes. And it's all good.
Sometimes you call them on the phone and say, "Hey! I'm having cupcakes, Mom!" and she says "Cool! Chocolate or vanilla?"
Then you laugh and hang up because the Daytona 500 is on.

Silver King
02-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Yes, but St Val's day might actually be a way back into an otherwise difficult situation. Having said that - it could do the opposite. Anyway, i'll have to think about it. Sober. (ish)
Whatever you do, don't let her think that you want her back. Act nonchalant and completely at peace with yourself, almost as if you are better off single. Then when she sees how content you are, she'll most likely jump back into your life of her own accord if only to upset the balance she perceives that you've acheived without her.

That, my friend, will be the beginning of true love. :)

Chasing the Horizon
02-13-2010, 06:41 AM
You realize they make medication to help with that, right? :D

I can remember being out on my own at 17...going to the hair salon, reading the WSJ...and the lady doing my hair being shocked and horrified that I skipped out on highschool to attend community college and work.

"How could you miss your PROM!!" (it was that time of the year and there were other gals in there my age getting their hair done for that all-important "prom" thing)

Valentines, mother's day, my birthday, proms,... meh... whatever. I'll take the chocolate, though. That's kind of cool.

I don't get my undies tied in a knot over it, though. I've never gotten really into the hype of our culture. I've always kind of been an outsider looking in thinking most of it is strange, anyway.

I like a party, but I don't worry about the supposed "significance" of it.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I was home-schooled, so no proms or silliness like that. If I'd gone to school I would probably have skipped the prom anyway, lol.

Nowadays I refuse to participate in most 'romantic' traditions, because after careful thought I've decided they're sexist. Even Valentines day is sexist to some degree, because more emphasis is placed on gifts for women than gifts for men (indicating men should be the primary gift givers, which is sexist). Yes, I am a killjoy. :D

C.bronco
02-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Everyone knows that Sunday is the Daytona 500, right? LOL!

What better cause for nachos!?

mscelina
02-13-2010, 06:45 AM

A root canal? :D

alleycat
02-13-2010, 06:47 AM

You could put up a checkered shower curtain . . .

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Yeah but there was no need to stop at every house.

LOL!!!
Tnx for the your advice, I was wondering why my Eng Lit students keep laughing at me - and why i was sacked...

Course, I am quite lazy.

Whatever you do, don't let her think that you want her back. Act nonchalant and completely at peace with yourself, almost as if you are better off single. Then when she sees how content you are, she'll most likely jump back into your life of her own accord if only to upset the balance she perceives that you've acheived without her.

That, my friend, will be the beginning of true love. :)

Hmmm.
You really are a man, aren't you? :D

Though I do appreciate the advice

Silver King
02-13-2010, 06:59 AM
You could put up a checkered shower curtain . . .
Since it keeps coming up, I thought I'd share one of the best threads (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126753) ever in Office Party.

I hadn't thought of it in a long time until today, but it still makes me laugh...

Ken
02-13-2010, 07:04 AM
You realize they make medication to help with that, right? :D

... *Presents Chasing with a miniature candy valentine with the words 'I Hate You' on it.

Just kidding ;-)

regdog
02-13-2010, 02:46 PM

You could celebrate being a Lidless Pot (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166861)

CoriSCapnSkip
02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I love Valentine's Day this much:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/1/26/129090275913338509.jpg

regdog
02-13-2010, 02:56 PM

sadron
02-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Oh dear. It just ordinary day to me.

Tepelus
02-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I want that teddy.

Black Bird
02-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post! I liked VD when I was in grade school and use to like the cards with my favorite cartoons or TV shows and the ones from my best friends. But as an adult I never really cared for it (too cheesy) and single women do not celebrate Valentines Day.

Tepelus
02-13-2010, 07:28 PM
In grade school it was fine, in high school, watching all the sickening couples giving each other candy and flowers and such, bleh. It only made me depressed because I never had a boyfriend in HS, much less anyone to give me flowers. Made me feel more of a loser. But then the day would pass and back to normal I go.

Ken
02-13-2010, 11:31 PM
... another BlackBird. Cool.

brainstorm77
02-13-2010, 11:32 PM
I enjoy it :)

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Valentine's day should be a day of chocolate/sweets/choose your poison gouging, like with Thanksgiving. And decorating of cocoa bean trees.

Anaquana
02-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Cat Valente has a great post (http://yuki-onna.livejournal.com/566312.html?page=1#comments) on this.

aruna
02-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Here's one husband who gets it right. And he's a novelist, too!
I love this story; it;s funny and original.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1250863/St-Valentines-Groundhog-Day-For-31-years-loving-husband-given-wife-card--time-cryptic-messages-bizarre-.html

And by the way I've never in my life received a Valentine from anyone and I don't care a hoot! No need to hate the day, and I don't begrudge those who celebrate it and do get cards and gifts; but when it's a duty instead of a joy it kind of defeats the purpose.

Paul
02-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Why would anyone bump a thread like this???

Mclesh
02-15-2012, 04:33 AM
I love Valentine's Day this much:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/1/26/129090275913338509.jpg

:roll:

poetinahat
02-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Here's one husband who gets it right. And he's a novelist, too!
I love this story; it;s funny and original.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1250863/St-Valentines-Groundhog-Day-For-31-years-loving-husband-given-wife-card--time-cryptic-messages-bizarre-.html

And by the way I've never in my life received a Valentine from anyone and I don't care a hoot! No need to hate the day, and I don't begrudge those who celebrate it and do get cards and gifts; but when it's a duty instead of a joy it kind of defeats the purpose.

I think I'm just going to change my username to "what aruna said".

BeatrixKiddo
02-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Meh...Valentine's Day always seemed like kind of a big racket to me. Even when I'm dating, I never cared about it that much. (I just like cute V-Day avatars)

Seems like a waste of money, overall.

Cella
02-15-2012, 05:30 AM
you are all missing the importance of sale candy after the holiday.
:rolleyes:

rhymegirl
02-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Yeah, maybe it should be banned.

I think I just OD'd on chocolate.

kayleamay
02-15-2012, 06:18 AM
I didn't get any chocolate, but my husband and son are in the kitchen attempting* to cook dinner right now and my son set the table with candles. That's too cute for me to wish a ban on Valentine's Day.

*The fire alarm has sounded twice and I overheard something about potato chips au graten. I'm curious to see what they've whipped up.

ETA: Make that three times.

Cella
02-15-2012, 06:20 AM
I got a carton of strawberries and a palmetto. :)

Pretty good, as I was not expecting anything!

Cella
02-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Pretty good, as I was not expecting anything!
silly me! It was called a pumelo!

I'm glad everyone had a good laugh, though! :rolleyes:

veinglory
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Brilliant! Then we should ban mother's and father's day because some people aren't parents, birthdays because on that day most people aren't having one, and MLK day because not everyone is black or gives a damn about civil rights.

Seriously. How insecure would you have to be to get upset over a day celebrating love.

iRock
02-21-2012, 07:02 PM
It's a holiday with chocolate, and I love chocolate. What's to hate?

Wicked
02-21-2012, 07:26 PM

silly me! It was called a pumelo!

I'm glad everyone had a good laugh, though! :rolleyes:

Wait, you could be onto something. :idea:
Dip them in chocolate and this could be the next big seller for the Anti-Valentine counterculture!

Nothing says "I hate you" like candy covered cockroaches.

mario_c
02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Veinglory - THIS insecure. :D Seriously though, we're just finding a humorous way to commiserate how tough it is to be single this time of year - is it vital to bring politics into it? Just saying, this isn't P&CE.
I'll head over to the Lidless Pot thread now. With chocolate I bought myself. :(

DamnStraight
02-22-2012, 12:02 PM
No, not banned. Woman should be forced, by law, to make it rain beer and chicken wings for their man. I want a bouquet of cheese sticks and a box of Jackie Chan movies. Or I will cry.

iRock
02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
No, not banned. Woman should be forced, by law, to make it rain beer and chicken wings for their man.

Bo-ring! I do that for him every day. Except on the days where I make it rain beer and pizza.

mario_c
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Crap, there'd be chicken wings all over the floor. That's what I need, is beer+blue cheese smeg all over my guitar gear.

patskywriter
02-22-2012, 09:53 PM
So what happens when an angry, embittered single person, who goes all out to get rid of Valentine's Day, falls head-over-heels in love the following year? Does he or she get to sheepishly say, "Never mind" and ask for it to be reinstated?

backslashbaby
02-23-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm all about the chocolate, particularly the sale chocolate! I also love Halloween and Easter and Christmas, or the days after, anyway :D

I finished my big ole heart-full-o-chocolate already. I'd be much larger if I had to ration my chocolate binges myself. Thank god for Valentine's Day :D

We really need to encourage special packaging for 4th of July chocolate over here, though. I've never seen Cadbury filled flags, but I'm thinking that sounds lovely!

scarletpeaches
02-23-2012, 12:31 AM
So what happens when an angry, embittered single person, who goes all out to get rid of Valentine's Day, falls head-over-heels in love the following year? Does he or she get to sheepishly say, "Never mind" and ask for it to be reinstated?I don't see why anyone would need Valentine's Day to prove they loved someone anyway. You don't have to be angry and embittered to think that way.

And, if such a person did happen to fall in love...let them prove it to their loved one. They're the only one who matters, after all...aren't they?

gothicangel
02-23-2012, 12:37 AM
So what happens when an angry, embittered single person, who goes all out to get rid of Valentine's Day, falls head-over-heels in love the following year? Does he or she get to sheepishly say, "Never mind" and ask for it to be reinstated?

Why do people think if someone is single, they are embittered?

I'm happily single, and been delightfully selfish all through my twenties. I don't regret it for a second. :D

Personally, I find Valentine's Day a curiosity. Since when did love become so consumerist?

mario_c
02-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Thank you, Gothicangel! And our porn sage SP :D.
Yeah, first of all, if you're "angry [and] embittered", good luck finding a mate. And if I do find a lady who loves me like I love her and la de da, maybe we will celebrate, maybe not. It's not anyone else's business. And I certainly don't need to rub it in my lonely single friends' faces about how happy we are together, nor do I need to feed another Hallmark Holiday. I mean, what's next? Groundhog's Day cards? Gifts for Flag Day?

patskywriter
02-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Why do people think if someone is single, they are embittered? …

Um, where did I say that every single person is embittered? If I say "stupid man," am I saying that every man is stupid?

Silver King
02-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Um, where did I say that every single person is embittered?
You didn't, but the impression was made in a general sense, at least it seemed to be in the way I read your post.

In any event, why are we even arguing over what was intended to be a less-than-serious thread anyway? Valentine's Day is over, so please let's give it a rest, at least until next year.

Paul
02-14-2013, 05:28 AM
You didn't, but the impression was made in a general sense, at least it seemed to be in the way I read your post.

In any event, why are we even arguing over what was intended to be a less-than-serious thread anyway? Valentine's Day is over, so please let's give it a rest, at least until next year.
next year you say...

lol. :D

yes, this was/is a tongue in cheek thread/ fun thread, in case anyone's not sure.

Solanova
02-14-2013, 05:48 AM
;_; Am I the only person that absolutely loves Valentines Day, single or not? Not that I don't celebrate love every day anyway, but I'd rather have a holiday about love and giving (Btw, I make my own hand written V-Day cards, as tradition dictates :) ), than nothing at all. People grumble over being single, but why not just make it a day to remind you of love in general :) I give my mom Roses on V-day, and everyone else handmade cards. Also, any day that gives me an excuse to eat as much chocolate as i want (I'm looking at you too Easter and Halloween), Is REALLY an ok holiday in my books :3

Silver King
02-14-2013, 06:10 AM
next year you say...

lol. :D

yes, this was/is a tongue in cheek thread/ fun thread, in case anyone's not sure.
It's next year already? Damn, how time flies; feels like I posted those comments less than a month ago...

Maryn
02-14-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm in a long-term relationship, but we never make a big deal out of Valentine's Day. However, this year, for the first time in at least three years, the conversation hearts are not so stale I wonder if they're from the year before.

Maryn, considering chocolates the 15th

Solanova
02-14-2013, 06:22 AM

.... Wait, D: What? I haven't even gotten and candy yet! What are you talking about over? It ain't over till I've gone into a candy induced food coma! :P

jjdebenedictis
02-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Valentine's day reminds me of the cookies my mom used to send to school with me to share with my classmates. Shortbread cookies, cut into hearts, and slathered with pink icing while they were still warm from the oven. The icing went shiny and, once the cookies cooled, had a crunchy crust.

Dang, those were good cookies. How can I be bitter about Valentine's Day when my mind can still smell them, taste them, and see their pretty pastel colours?

KellyAssauer
02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
;_; Am I the only person that absolutely loves Valentines Day, single or not?

Yes.

Next question please.

Solanova
02-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Yes.

Next question please.

Sigh. Fine, I'll just keep all the candy, cookies and chocolate to myself.

jjdebenedictis
02-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Sigh. Fine, I'll just keep all the candy, cookies and chocolate to myself.(Psst. Bunch over and share the chocies. You've got one buddy, at least.)

Solanova
02-14-2013, 09:11 AM
(Psst. Bunch over and share the chocies. You've got one buddy, at least.)

\o/ Yay! This makes me happy :) (I've been dying for some white chocolate truffles lately... or just any truffle really...)

veinglory
02-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Any celebration that does not require people to give me free chocolate martinis should be banned. The clear espresso type, not the sugary pudding type.

Lavern08
02-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Am I the only person that absolutely loves Valentines Day?

No - I'm all about spreading the lurve. :Hug2:

People grumble over being single, but why not just make it a day to remind you of love in general?
Indeed, Girlfriend, Indeed. ;)

Ashwood
02-14-2013, 11:08 PM
No, because then there wouldn't be half-off chocolate the next day for the rest of us!

Kayley
02-14-2013, 11:42 PM
I'd argue that V-Day is often better for us single people. Couples have to worry about the stress of the holiday, while the rest of us just have to worry about eating all of the discounted chocolate. :D

BeatrixKiddo
02-15-2013, 01:10 AM
I don't mind if I have someone at the time, but I'm one of those gals who likes to do something special for who I'm with that day too. I don't expect the guys to do all the work.

But I like to get something for them they might not expect, as kind of a surprise. I like flowers and chocolate and stuff, but sometimes something a little different is interesting too.

No pressure though. Just saying "I love you" to me on Valentine's Day can be enough. I haven't heard that in awhile. Sigh.

rhymegirl
02-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Be My Valentine.

OR ELSE!

Solanova
02-15-2013, 02:11 AM
I think the only people that really have pressure on V-Day are the ones that have performance anxiety XD

Chase
02-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Success!

I remembered and double-timed through the card aisle to snatch the reddest card on the stacks. Picked up a heart-shaped box of Sampler chocolates, and got a waxed paper cone of flowers. Who knows what kind? Flowers are flowers.

From the time I hit Fred Meyers' door until checkout in the 10-items-or-less lane: 4 minutes, 22 seconds. Don't tell me I don't spend quality time on romance.

She read the card and cried at the heartfelt sentiments, while I ate her best chocolates.

She took an hour at Hallmark (where you care enough to send the very best). I shook the card--no money, so I dropped it, and drive to Papa Murphy's for the $7 heartbaker take 'n' bake pizza, while she fires up the oven and decants the sparkling grape juice.

My rep as Mr. Romance is legend here at the Golden Years Apartments. Thanks, Saint Vee.

Susie
02-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Bannination of Val. Day? That cannot be. We need our extra stash of choco. on said day. In fact, I have enough :Cake:s for everyone for every day to be Val. Day :D :e2grouphu

jjdebenedictis
02-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Ow. Cheap chocolate day came around again, and I have a tummy-ache now. :(

Hmm. Maybe Valentine's Day should be banned...

Solanova
02-16-2013, 07:57 AM
I went to grandmas house and I got her and my mother two stuffed bears (one angel for grandma and a devil for mom) and two bouquets of flowers (the cheap kind, I'm dirt poor). Was rewarded with bag of truffles~! V-day was a success! I now have Ben and Jerry's Ice cream and truffles waiting for me when I'm over my cold. :D

Paul
02-18-2013, 06:28 AM
I went to grandmas house and I got her and my mother two stuffed bears (one angel for grandma and a devil for mom) and two bouquets of flowers (the cheap kind, I'm dirt poor). Was rewarded with bag of truffles~! V-day was a success! I now have Ben and Jerry's Ice cream and truffles waiting for me when I'm over my cold. :D
Very nice.

I suppose if V-Day was expanded to 'love' in general...

Take note Marketeers!

(please don't take note, leave us alone)

Pandora S
07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Valentines Day is for expressing love, all kinds of love. There is someone next to us
that needs a little love.