PDA

View Full Version : AZ_Dawn Gets a Break (In more ways than one)

AZ_Dawn
02-13-2010, 04:25 AM
The good news is that I'm alive. The bad news is that I broke my leg last Friday. On the outside bone just above the ankle. :e2beat: Hurts like crazy. I had surgery done on it Wednesday to realign my ankle joint. Now I have to stay off it for the next 8 weeks. Yep, that bites like a werewolf with the munchies.

I might lurk online a bit, but I can't guarantee I'll feel up to posting for a while. (Yeah, I know, this is Lady McLurky talking here) I'll let you know more about my injury later. Be good while I'm gone, OK? ;)

TheIT
02-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Get well soon!!!

:Sun:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Awww... bless your li'l cotton socks! Hope you heal extra fast.

Fran
02-13-2010, 04:30 AM
I hope you feel better soon. Happy lurking :)

Jersey Chick
02-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Feel better soon and enjoy whatever painkillers they gave you (hopefully they're good ones!!)

:Hug2:

ad_lucem
02-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Yeeeeeeeowch!

:Hug2:

Sorry to hear that. Feel better!

kayleamay
02-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Feel better soon, and remember, it could be worse...
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-cat-has-a-leg.jpg

bettielee
02-13-2010, 12:46 PM
oh noes.... hope you heal soon!

DL Hegel
02-13-2010, 01:04 PM
heal up quick. Hugs!

Susie
02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Gee, so sorry to hear that, AZ. Prayers 'n (:Cake: when you're up to it sent your way.) Get well soon!

regdog
02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Get well soon :Hug2:

Maryn
02-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeow! Tell your doctor honestly about the pain level you're experiencing. Most are fully aware that preventing pain is easier than reducing it, and they should be able to prescribe something that makes your recovery more tolerable. All you have to do it hop to the drugstore to pick it up, right?

I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. Hang in there, okay? And remember, when you've had freakin' enough of this, AW never closes, and we're open to rants, too.

Maryn, bringing over your lunch

Yeshanu
02-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Hugs, AZ.

AZ_Dawn
02-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your prayers and well wishes, guys! I get tired a lot and have some pain problems and miscellaneous leg injury issues, but I can get around with a walker when I need to, so at least there's that.

I feel up to giving a few sketchy details about my leg. On the 5th(?) I stepped on a toy and fell. Or so I'm told by witnesses; I don't remember the toy. I didn't get my leg professionally seen until the next day at urgent care. They told me it was a break instead of the sprain we hoped, and recommended I see an orthopedist(?) on Monday. Due to insurance wranglings I didn't get to see him til Tuesday. I got more X-rays done (seems a lot of docs have issues with the digital X-rays and prefer good ol' fashion film) and was told that while the bone would knit nicely, my ankle was knock out of whack in the fall. It had to be realigned or it wouldn't do me any good to have the bones knit, so they penciled me in for surgery the next day. Inpatient surgery. They were very nice to me during my overnight stay in the hospital, but it wasn't exactly home. :(

Now here I sit propped up in bed, with as much hardware in my ankle as in my laptop, wondering if I should take the maximum dose of Oxicodone rather than the minimum (yep, they gave me the goood stuff :D), and comptemplating how to best end this run-on sentence. On the upside, this incident is emphasizing what a wonderful, caring family I have. :e2grouphu

Rachel
02-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Get well soon!

Wayne K
02-15-2010, 10:45 PM
That's why the Burger Meister Meister Berger banned Christmas. I'm glad you're taking it better than he did.

Wayne K
02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWQu_et0VHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWQu_et0VHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

semilargeintestine
02-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Get better soon.

Perks
02-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Ack! Terrible. Be good to yourself and get well soon!

Susie
02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
That is awful, AZ. Glad you're home now and recovering. :Hug2:s gently.

Maryn
02-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Maximum dose, for at least 36 hours, in my experience. That was after foot surgery, on the doc's recommendation. He was adamant about there being no reward for suffering pain needlessly.

Maryn, who has enough oxy left to make some junkie happy

khalleron
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Just found this thread - I'm new here, but I wanted to also add my get well soon wishes.

I broke my arm in December, and the only thing I could think about was not being able to type my novel!

"When can I type, when can I type?" was the only thing I wanted to know.

And I don't even write for a living.

It's a disease.

So get better, soon.

AZ_Dawn
03-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Just an update on my leg. On Tuesday I get the big screw taken out of my ankle. It's outpatient surgery, fortunately, so if nothing goes horribly wrong I should get to recover in my own bed. I might not even be able to lurk for a few days after, though. :( Still won't be able to put weight on it for another couple of weeks.<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_506303-->

AZ_Dawn
03-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Oops! Turned out to be just a consultation for taking the screw out. :e2smack: All they did was take off the hard cast and gave me a bandage (more to keep my nephews from messing with my leg than for actual support). I have to schedule the surgery later. I still can't put weight on it yet.

Yeshanu
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Ouch.

Still hoping you mend soon, Dawn... :Hug2:

AZ_Dawn
03-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Thanks, Yeshanu! I saw the x-rays from the consultation and my ankle's back in alignment again, plus the fracture's just a thin white line now. :Clap:

Okay, this Friday's the real deal; that screw's finally coming out! I just signed the consent form this morning. Wish me luck!

AZ_Dawn
04-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I got a call from the hospital yesterday; my surgery's been rescheduled ton the 9th. No, it wasn't a joke.

I can't stand waiting! :Headbang:

TheIT
04-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Ow. Hang in there, AZ! :Hug2:

:e2beat:

writerterri
04-03-2010, 02:22 AM
That sucks! Do you have kids? A job? Pent up energy?

So, how did you break it?

Snowstorm
04-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Ay yi yi. Best wishes for a quick recovery. Moan and wince to gain lots of attention and sympathy. And cookies ... make sure they supply you with plenty of cookies!

And ice cream! No, wait ... that's for a sore throat ... Meh, sore throat, sore leg, what's the dif? Ice cream! Lots of ice cream!

AZ_Dawn
04-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the well wishes, guys!

That sucks! Do you have kids? A job? Pent up energy?

Well, I don't have a job, and the kids are just my nephews (we babysit). I wouldn't call what I have pent-up energy so much as the frustrations of being unable to get around like a normal person.

So, how did you break it?

I gave some details on page 1, but to recap, I broke it in early February when I stepped on a toy and fell. My ankle got knocked out of alignment, too, and had a bunch of hardware put in it to bring it back into position.

And ice cream! No, wait ... that's for a sore throat ... Meh, sore throat, sore leg, what's the dif? Ice cream! Lots of ice cream!

Oh yes! Much tastier than ordinary calcium suppliments. :D

AZ_Dawn
04-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Well, the screw's finally out. :fistpump I was up and about sooner than I expected. I'm allowed to put full weight on my leg again, though it still hurts. :e2bummed:

They gave me the screw as a souvenier. Go figure. :Huh:

TheIT
04-11-2010, 09:16 AM
They gave me the screw as a souvenier. Go figure. :Huh:

Hey, this way if you tell someone you got screwed, you have proof.

:D

Here's to a speedy recovery!

:partyguy:

Yeshanu
04-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Glad to hear you're up and about, Dawn.

AZ_Dawn
04-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Aww, thanks, guys! :)

AZ_Dawn
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Saw the doctor yesterday. The hole where the screw was is just a white line on the x-ray, and the doc had to point out the leg fracture to me. I'm healing nicely in his opinion (though it still hurts to walk), and I start physical therapy next week. Hopefully, my broken leg saga is nearing its end. :snoopy:

Susie
04-20-2010, 10:13 PM
That's such good news, AZ. Sure pray things keep getting better 'n better for you. Gentle :Hug2:s 'n :Cake:s when you're up to it.

khalleron
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Going by my experience with my broken arm, the pain when you walk is probably not from the bone, but from all the shortened tendons and ligaments due to having been immobile for so long, as well as muscle loss.

I loved PT, even if it did hurt. I had a great therapist. Hope yours goes well!