AZ_Dawn Gets a Break (In more ways than one)

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
The good news is that I'm alive. The bad news is that I broke my leg last Friday. On the outside bone just above the ankle. :e2beat: Hurts like crazy. I had surgery done on it Wednesday to realign my ankle joint. Now I have to stay off it for the next 8 weeks. Yep, that bites like a werewolf with the munchies.

I might lurk online a bit, but I can't guarantee I'll feel up to posting for a while. (Yeah, I know, this is Lady McLurky talking here) I'll let you know more about my injury later. Be good while I'm gone, OK? ;)

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeowch!

:Hug2:

Sorry to hear that. Feel better!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feel better soon, and remember, it could be worse...
funny-pictures-cat-has-a-leg.jpg

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, so sorry to hear that, AZ. Prayers 'n :)Cake: when you're up to it sent your way.) Get well soon!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get well soon :Hug2:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeow! Tell your doctor honestly about the pain level you're experiencing. Most are fully aware that preventing pain is easier than reducing it, and they should be able to prescribe something that makes your recovery more tolerable. All you have to do it hop to the drugstore to pick it up, right?

I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. Hang in there, okay? And remember, when you've had freakin' enough of this, AW never closes, and we're open to rants, too.

Maryn, bringing over your lunch

Last edited:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your prayers and well wishes, guys! I get tired a lot and have some pain problems and miscellaneous leg injury issues, but I can get around with a walker when I need to, so at least there's that.

I feel up to giving a few sketchy details about my leg. On the 5th(?) I stepped on a toy and fell. Or so I'm told by witnesses; I don't remember the toy. I didn't get my leg professionally seen until the next day at urgent care. They told me it was a break instead of the sprain we hoped, and recommended I see an orthopedist(?) on Monday. Due to insurance wranglings I didn't get to see him til Tuesday. I got more X-rays done (seems a lot of docs have issues with the digital X-rays and prefer good ol' fashion film) and was told that while the bone would knit nicely, my ankle was knock out of whack in the fall. It had to be realigned or it wouldn't do me any good to have the bones knit, so they penciled me in for surgery the next day. Inpatient surgery. They were very nice to me during my overnight stay in the hospital, but it wasn't exactly home. :(

Now here I sit propped up in bed, with as much hardware in my ankle as in my laptop, wondering if I should take the maximum dose of Oxicodone rather than the minimum (yep, they gave me the goood stuff :D), and comptemplating how to best end this run-on sentence. On the upside, this incident is emphasizing what a wonderful, caring family I have. :e2grouphu

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
That's why the Burger Meister Meister Berger banned Christmas. I'm glad you're taking it better than he did.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maximum dose, for at least 36 hours, in my experience. That was after foot surgery, on the doc's recommendation. He was adamant about there being no reward for suffering pain needlessly.

Maryn, who has enough oxy left to make some junkie happy

khalleron

Kate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehalleron.com
Just found this thread - I'm new here, but I wanted to also add my get well soon wishes.

I broke my arm in December, and the only thing I could think about was not being able to type my novel!

"When can I type, when can I type?" was the only thing I wanted to know.

And I don't even write for a living.

It's a disease.

So get better, soon.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just an update on my leg. On Tuesday I get the big screw taken out of my ankle. It's outpatient surgery, fortunately, so if nothing goes horribly wrong I should get to recover in my own bed. I might not even be able to lurk for a few days after, though. :( Still won't be able to put weight on it for another couple of weeks.<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_506303-->

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Turned out to be just a consultation for taking the screw out. :e2smack: All they did was take off the hard cast and gave me a bandage (more to keep my nephews from messing with my leg than for actual support). I have to schedule the surgery later. I still can't put weight on it yet.