I'm feeling quite mean...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My 11 year old daughter is going through a phase. I hope to god it's a phase. She sings. Constantly. And at the top of her lungs.

I am glad that she's a happy kid, but it's really annoying and it would be even if she had a particularly pleasant singing voice, which she unfortunately doesn't. She gets her feelings hurt when I tell her to knock it off.

I can't think straight even when she's in the shower. The pounding water and the closed door is no match for her pipes.

Aaaaagggghhhhhhh!

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
My daughter went through this phase, too, and it drove me up the wall. In middle school she landed several roles in different musicals, and it got worse.

But it does pass, though. Eventually. You have my complete sympathy.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter went through a phase like this about the same age. My answer: Sing along.

Sometimes it would shut her up. Sometimes we cut loose and totally had fun singing together (some of my favorite memories of her come from this). Sometimes she'd start singing quieter. Regardless of what her reaction was, singing along improved MY reaction to what she was doing.

But she stopped doing it incessantly in a short time after that.

Now when we sing together, it's because we want to--which gets interesting 'cause all her present favorite songs are in Korean and the way I butcher the lyrics sets us both to laughing hysterically.

Good luck.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
My 11 year old daughter is going through a phase. I hope to god it's a phase. She sings. Constantly. And at the top of her lungs.

I am glad that she's a happy kid, but it's really annoying and it would be even if she had a particularly pleasant singing voice, which she unfortunately doesn't. She gets her feelings hurt when I tell her to knock it off.

I can't think straight even when she's in the shower. The pounding water and the closed door is no match for her pipes.

Aaaaagggghhhhhhh!

I hear you. My six year old has similar habits. That, and when he's not singing, he's talking. And he doesn't stop talking. He tells you everything that is going through his head or has gone through his head for the entire day and some of what might happen tomorrow.

Right now, he's in talking his brother's ear off. In a little while he'll be back to chew on mine.

He's a good kid, but his report card always comes home with the note "needs to work on not talking so much".

In the shower, singing, in the car, singing...then talk talk talk talk talk talk.

He talks when other people are talking. If something comes into his head...he HAS to say it...and not in a minute when the other person is finished....NOW!

I feel mean sometimes, because I really just want silence. But, I know he desperately wants to communicate and that his endless talking is part of his love of friends, family, and life in general.

Of course, that doesn't keep that voice in my head from screaming inside the confines of my brain: "Oh FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BE QUIET!!"

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
MY sister went through this phase and it was really annoying when she would sing at the top of her lungs while me and my brothers tried to play video games - when we did play video games.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's 14 and still in it. She has an okay voice, but doesn't understand that singing along to YouTube doesn't count as practice. We'd get her lessons, but she doesn't have the discipline to stick with them. As soon as it's work, she's done with it!

She might not grow out of it. My mom is 63 and has been compulsively humming "Yellow Submarine" for eight years now. Dad's spent a lot of time in the Man Cave for the last eight years...

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Mine's 7 and has ADHD. The medication helps her quiet down to 'normal 7 year old level,' but if she hasn't taken it, oh my god. She'll sing at the top of her lungs and she'll talk. Constantly. And when I mean constantly, I mean to the point that my 3 year old niece turned to look at her one day in the car and said (I kid you not), "Stop talking, why are you such a chatterbox?" It was hysterical, and oh-so-true.

I'd suggest earplugs. ;)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to sing while I would swing on my tree swing and think that no one could hear me :crazy:

boy was I embarrassed when I found out otherwise.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's 7 and has ADHD. The medication helps her quiet down to 'normal 7 year old level,' but if she hasn't taken it, oh my god. She'll sing at the top of her lungs and she'll talk. Constantly. And when I mean constantly, I mean to the point that my 3 year old niece turned to look at her one day in the car and said (I kid you not), "Stop talking, why are you such a chatterbox?" It was hysterical, and oh-so-true.

I'd suggest earplugs. ;)

Your three year old niece has much better manners than my 2 year old princess...of course, she spends her time in the car sandwiched between my boys...so...maybe this is why... The other day her response to the chatosaurus next to her was "Just shut up, already!"

My guy doesn't have adhd, but his mouth does. I'm afraid it's catching because my princess is turning chatterbug, too. The main reason she wanted him to shut up was so that she could talk...

I think all parents could definitely benefit from an investment in a quality set of earplugs.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Luckily, my daughter is reasonable. And she never holds a grudge. If I tell her enough times, I can buy myself some peace. She just forgets and the songs come bubbling - and blaring - up. There are times when it's fine, but mostly it's quite rude even if it's inadvertent. So, I don't actually feel all that mean, really, now that I think about it.

I was gratified that it's not just me, though. My husband's working from home due to snowy weather and he just had to bellow, "Hey! I'm tryin' to work, here!"

Lol!

Reaction score
Jamie, Jamie, Jamie, did you learn nothing last summer?

Repeat after me: "Shut up or I'll send you back to the nasty Scottish lady."

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Kid (our adult daughter) attended a college well known for its music conservatory program. The non-music students could request a non-musical dorm, because singing good and loud was so common. Every time we visited we'd see some normal looking young man or woman walking around singing loud enough to be heard in the back row of the balcony.

Apparently the use of masking sounds was very popular at school. A fan or a radio between stations can minimize distant singing, and noise-reduction headphones playing something you either wanted to hear or could ignore made a huge different when the soprano on the other side of the partition felt like belting it out. (Sony makes a good pair that's fairly cheap. Any household with a singer might consider at least one pair a good investment.)

Maryn, whose child escaped

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I can relate! My daughter's ten and if I have to hear chopsticks played at top volume on our out-of-tune piano one more time I'm gonna lose it. I know, I know, I could get the piano tuned but who has time to arrange THAT?!

Hey, maybe you can get her tuned!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
::hums theme to mayberry AND barney::

ah there's jamie, uhm. here.