I got to see Condoleezza Rice

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to listen to Dr. Condoleezza Rice speak last night. She was at Birmingham-Southern College. She spoke about her history, then a little about foreign policy and then she answered questions from the students.

I didn't follow politics much when I was younger, and I've learned a lot from here. One thing she told the students was - if you're friends always agree with you- get new friends. And I thought about this place. I certianly don't always agree with a lot of you. :)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least that disproves the theory that she's Medusa, although I'm still not convinced.

Are you sure it was the real one, and not some fake ginned up by the lizard people?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
She's smart enough, but she's more than a little neoconny. Not surprised that she'd claim to thrive under adversity.

Can't say I agree very often with you, either :)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to listen to Dr. Condoleezza Rice speak last night. She was at Birmingham-Southern College. She spoke about her history, then a little about foreign policy and then she answered questions from the students.

Anybody ask her if she has any political ambitions? If the Republicans talked her up for a presidential run she'd crush Sarah Palin like a paper cup.

Can you imagine Palin and Rice debating foreign policy? It it was a fight they'd stop in in the first round. :box:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, talk about a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Condy is undeniably very smart, and has persona qualities. Frankly, I'd love to see her throw a hat in the Repub ring for 2012, not because I'd vote for her, but because her very presence would provide some firepole of rationality to what is shaping up as a wild orgy of political irrationality.

But I very much doubt she will do so. She's never shown even the faintest hint of interest in elective office, and seems more comfortable in intellectual circles than political ones. And, perhaps unfairly, she's tarred with the Rumsfeld-Cheney brush, which will neither be forgotten nor forgiven by the farther right elements in the GOP if she does become a candidate. Despite a few unfortunate and ill-timed comments and memoranda, I never felt Rice was a full partner in that "axis of evil" (if I might coin a phrase) that comprised the neoconservative advisors of the second President Bush.

As for a Republican race, or debate, between Rice and Palin, for all the obvious intellectual advantage Rice would have, I'd bet Palin would wink and smile, and put out the message that Rice was just being a big ol' meany, and it was all unfair, and her acolytes would slobber all over themselves in agreement.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, blac, I bet you're right. She'd probably end up with a big sympathy vote. Since we seem to elect our leaders on an emotional basis, maybe you're on to something there.

After all, if everybody's equal, and nobody's special, and achievement is a matter of privilege, what's it matter if the Prez has a brain or not? Whoever we put in there is going to be as good (or as horrid) as anybody else.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure it was the real one, and not some fake ginned up by the lizard people?

BSG reference?

Yeah, talk about a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

:ROFL:

Condy is undeniably very smart, and has persona qualities. Frankly, I'd love to see her throw a hat in the Repub ring for 2012, not because I'd vote for her, but because her very presence would provide some firepole of rationality to what is shaping up as a wild orgy of political irrationality.

I see it more that there is social conservatism and fiscal conservatism, and while not totally mutually-exclusive, there are a lot of issues on which one would need to decide which is more important: social mores or economic theory. Unless one can figure out regulate and pass laws against perceived "societal ills" without having to spend more money regulating and policing certain things. Years of the war on drugs/crime has shown that when you outlaw something, there is more spending on it.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
... imagine Palin and Rice debating foreign policy. :box:

Rice: Tell me Sarah, How many continents are there?

Palin: See, that doesn't concern me, because I don't wear Depends.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody ask her if she has any political ambitions? If the Republicans talked her up for a presidential run she'd crush Sarah Palin like a paper cup.

Can you imagine Palin and Rice debating foreign policy? It it was a fight they'd stop in in the first round. :box:
No- she's back at Stanford and is creating an afterschool program she hopes will become national. She sounded happy. She said she likes reading the paper and knowing it isn't her job to fix anything in it.

Sorry I haven't been around- been sick.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

But I very much doubt she will do so. She's never shown even the faintest hint of interest in elective office, and seems more comfortable in intellectual circles than political ones. And, perhaps unfairly, she's tarred with the Rumsfeld-Cheney brush, which will neither be forgotten nor forgiven by the farther right elements in the GOP if she does become a candidate. Despite a few unfortunate and ill-timed comments and memoranda, I never felt Rice was a full partner in that "axis of evil" (if I might coin a phrase) that comprised the neoconservative advisors of the second President Bush.

As for a Republican race, or debate, between Rice and Palin, for all the obvious intellectual advantage Rice would have, I'd bet Palin would wink and smile, and put out the message that Rice was just being a big ol' meany, and it was all unfair, and her acolytes would slobber all over themselves in agreement.

caw
RE: What I bolded, yeah that would be interesting to see.
I am sad to say you may be right about the wink and smile too. I got so mad at Palin during the debate I saw. She never answered the question asked of her. BAH!