On mentioning a self-pubbed book in a query

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a query for a (first) novel I've completed, and I'm debating whether or not to list my self-published book in it. Normally, I know you don't do such things, but my situation might be unique.

My self-pubbed book:

- sold almost 3000 copies (this was true self-pubbing, not POD, and I did a run of 3000 and sold out, except for the ones I kept for myself)

- peaked at #121 on Amazon's bestseller list

- got agented by a fairly top-tier agent after the fact, and had rights sold in six countries, but not in the USA

So, do I mention it as a credit or not?

(apologies if this is in the wrong place; it didn't quite seem right for Query Letter Hell, since it's technically not sharing my work :) )

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
I would vote yes, that you should mention that you should 3000 copies and had rights sold in six countries. Considering most self-published books sell less than 20 copies (not sure if that's correct, someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :) ), selling 3000 shows that your work is good and that you've got a lot of drive, and having an agent backs that up.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
A few things--you mention you got an agent after the book came out. Do you still have him? What are you querying?

Also, when you do query, that your book sold 3,000 is good, but it's still self-pubbed. If you have other credits, like being pubbed in a known lit mag, put those first.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
A few things--you mention you got an agent after the book came out. Do you still have him? What are you querying?

Also, when you do query, that your book sold 3,000 is good, but it's still self-pubbed. If you have other credits, like being pubbed in a known lit mag, put those first.
Technically, I don't still have the agent, because our agreement expired, but he did immediately request a full when I told him about this. The only other publication I've had was a short story in a magazine in Canada that paid in free copies. :)

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
I would almost always say no, but due to a post I saw on an agent's blog, since you sold so well it might be a different story.

I'd suggest maybe don't mention it was self-pubbed, because that word makes agents grimmace. Since you were repped for it, (despite it being later) it still had to go through the process. You might be able to get away with it.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
What was the genre of the self pubbed book? Fiction or nonfiction.
Was the book ever available in the U.S? Even through Amazon?
Are you quering for the same book or a different book?
Are you currently agented?

Do these questions matter? Perhaps.

If this was non-fiction, and you are querying for fiction, I don't think it will matter one way or another that you self-pubbed. It's all about the current work now. While you did a press run of 2000 and sold out, for commercial publishing, a lot of press runs are about 30,000. Chris Paloni sold over 5000 before someone paid attention to him from what I read.

If you are currently agented, what does your agent think of the idea of listing the self pubbed work? His opinion will be the one that matters.

If you are hawking the same book, and it was available in the U.S. previously, then why would a publisher want to pick up a book that more than likely has run its cycle? If it has never been listed in the U.S, then mentioning the agent and the six countries it has been published in might make someone sit up and take notice? (Unless we are talking Bali or some other small nation).

Tough call because most agents and editors really have a thing against self pubblished writers. Things are changing though, but not that quickly yet.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Why did things break up with the old agent? Was there was a reason why you didn't renew the contract?

The fact the book was later sold by an agent in six countries takes it out of the purely self-published realm. It's a real credit. But agents might wonder what happened to your agent and whether you're unagented.

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
Why did things break up with the old agent? Was there was a reason why you didn't renew the contract?
They didn't break up as much as I didn't write anything. :)

There was a time limit on our agreement, and it ran out.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
- sold almost 3000 copies (this was true self-pubbing, not POD, and I did a run of 3000 and sold out, except for the ones I kept for myself)

If the book is the same genre as the one you're trying to sell, then mention it. Those are good numbers for a self-pub.

If it is non-fiction and your book is fiction, then don't bother.

- peaked at #121 on Amazon's bestseller list

Amazon's bestseller list doesn't mean anything. One of my books peaked in the top 30 on their list, an hour later it had dropped into the 500s. Don't bother to mention it, that's strictly amateur night.

- got agented by a fairly top-tier agent after the fact, and had rights sold in six countries, but not in the USA

Technically, I don't still have the agent, because our agreement expired, but he did immediately request a full when I told him about this.

Then send him a full. You have to wait until he gets back to you before querying another agent.

If it's been more than two months, then it's okay to ask after its status with him.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Gillhoughly said it all. If I were you I'd follow his advice.

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
Just as a kind of update: During my submission process, I decided to mention the self-pubbed book on a single query...and got a request for full within an hour. Far and away the fastest request I've gotten. :)

(still out with him)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll plop my question here.

I have a POD novella that didn't sell at all. I've seen advice elsewhere saying that it's okay to mention it, just don't call it a publication credit. How does this work?

I listed my published short stories, and then said: "In addition to these credits, I have a POD novella and about 50 scientific articles in scholarly, trade and popular journals."

How does that sound? This was in a cover letter for short fiction, but if this works I'll use it in my novel queries as well.