Walmart Associate Handbook (unauthorized) What Do You Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
Fired my agent.
Editing the finished book.
Sending out queries.
What do you think?
Walmart Associate Handbook (Unauthorized)

“The Walmart Way” Not Sam’s Way

Walmart XIII AD

Almost daily, there is mention of Walmart somewhere in the media.

Walmart finds itself up against more lawsuits then ever before and activists are at top of the list of problems that continue to plague Walmart.

From attempts to block the opening of new Super Centers to the individual and group lawsuits that are filed against the corporation, it will be the people, customers and the company’s very own associates who will determine the fate of the aging retailer.

Attempts at redeeming itself publicly and attempts at improving its image are a new way of handling the perception people have of the company. In the past public relations and the media were areas that the company avoided unless there was an extremely negative situation had to answered through the media in some way. Now the corporate offices have decided to defend the company to the extent of taking out full page ads in different areas of the country and designing a web site called Walmartfacts to allow the public access to its’ own view of the wonderful world of Walmart.

A corporation, a company, the as big as life retail behemoth whose founder Sam Walton, is looked at and remembered by many in different ways. Sam was a man who is quoted almost continuously by an assortment of different people and associates. Opinions vary and views on the man and his legacy continue.

The book” The Walmart Decade” by Robert Slater looks at not only the Walmart of today but also has many references to Sam Walton and the way it was. The book “Made in America” by Sam Walton and John Huey is a look at a man that seemed to genuinely care about the people that he more than once said “should be treated as partners;” his associates; his company’s employees who are no longer protected by the founder and his way of “respecting the individual.”

A new book titled The Walmart Way by Don Soderqist is being released on April 21, 2005. It is supposed to be about the Walmart executives. It is already listed on Amazon and although it is from the inside of the corporate and executive offices it is not from inside the stores and I am sure will not deal with the same things I am addressing in this book.

The corporate officers, the directors and the executive officers of the company are business people running a corporation, not Sam Walton. All the books are pro Sam Walton and say much about the man especially as far as the culture that he started.

Anyone attempting to find a company, or a corporation to work for that would appreciate hard work could at one time find it here. A person could take a look at “The Walmart Culture” and that person would be easy to convince that Walmart has it all and will give it all to you if you work hard and treat the customer as number one, according to Sam Walton. It seems, from the inside to be getting further away from that kind of respect and inclusiveness each day.

Today we have “The Walmart Decade “By Robert Slater “How a New Generation of Leaders Turned Sam Walton's Legacy into the World's #1 company”

You really need to read between the lines.

You would need to understand that Mr. Slater received his information as it is listed at the end of the book.

He did not work in the stores and did not really have access to or the ability to really touch the average associate. I did.

You also have “The Walmart Way” by Don Soderquist. Although the book is inspirational it lacks the insight that is a part of the dying Walmart Culture, inside the stores.

The largest retailer in the country and the world is more than just a retailer, employer and a stock on Wall Street. America’s most admired company is a large part of day-to-day living for the typical American family. It is a very large part of the day-to-day life of Walmart Associates.

From the outside of the stores, there is more than one opinion of the company, its’ suppliers and its’ worth.

From inside there is also more than one opinion, and depending on many factors that determine your position in the Walmart order of things an opinion can be valid as far as Walmart is concerned or an opinion can be an expression of possible hostile aggressive behavior the way Walmart is today.

Among the many files, policies and trade secrets of the number one retailer in our nation and in the world are the people. These people work in the stores. The people that greet the customers and the people that keep the shelves stocked. In many cases, this book reflects the very lives of the people that this company will forever be connected to, like it or not.

This is the warehouse, the truck driver and the system that keeps count on all of it. This is the story that includes a factory in a foreign country that produces the clothing that hangs on the racks in the softlines departments.

This book is a written view from the inside of the stores. It takes an in depth look at the associates, individual stores, salaried management and the executive offices of this company that is listed on tickers of the New York Stock Exchange as wmt.

Synopsis

There is no comparison to this book. It is the only one written by a Walmart associate from the inside.

This book explains what is happening inside the stores.

The book is life, “The Walmart Way” and the process of recovery after being a part of the “cult”.

Chapters
  1. Where is Sam?
The way the corporate offices took profits over the associates and the culture is died. The effect this has had on the associates.
  1. Doing It All “The Walmart Way”
My first experiences shopping at and in competition with Wal-mart.

My first experiences with the culture.
  1. The Cult
The mind set that occurred when I was included in areas of comradeship and power.
  1. Alabama
Learning more about the Wal-mart family and promotions for all of us within the store and district.
  1. The Culture
Sam Walton’s culture, explained.

6. Ethics

Situations and actions covered up by corporate offices and within the stores by regional executive and members of store management.
  1. Office Politics
The way the individual stores work from inside the offices.
  1. New Hampshire
The relocation goes well. The remaining three family members become Wal-mart associates. Two are terminated for unjust reasons one quits. Associates come to me with many concerns in three different stores and I start to communicate with regional and divisional executives and corporate officers on a regular basis.
  1. Propaganda & Benefits
Promotional tools used to make Wal-mart look like something it isn’t anymore.

10. Open Door

Part of the culture and how it works or doesn’t.

11. Unanswered Questions & Big Brother

Questions brought to me by Wal-mart associates and a few of my own. How they watch us.

12. Gender Discrimination

How gender discrimination affected me and others.

I joined the Class Action Lawsuit.

13. Fluff

Accountability, regulations, policies and direction that is made to look like something is being done when it isn’t.

14. Louisiana

The relocation has major problems. Two of the last three associates have no work upon arrival. My district manager fires me and I am saved through the intervention of Tom Coughlin. Upper management is prone to lying about serious situations. Associates have the same concerns they had in the north it no longer is a happy Wal-mart family. Executive and Corporate communications become strained and the open door backfires repeatedly.

I am interrogated.

Marketing Strategy

Newspaper, radio and television interviews, book signings, Union meetings, speaking engagements as once this book hits there is going to be a great deal of media attention especially if the stock continues to fall or stays stagnant and other retailers continue to gain sales and market share.

Robert Greenwald is producing an anti-Walmart documentary slated for release in November and a part of the book also looks at the production company’s involvement with my ultimate termination.

I intend to promote the book in any way possible blogs and other internet sites.

About the Author

Julie Pierce has worked in the retail sector for more than thirty years.

She has been a union member of the UCFW and the afl-cio more than once and has worked for more than one large retailer during the course of her career.

She attended Gulf Coast Community College, Panama City Beach, Florida, in the nineties in the pursuit of a degree in Journalism and Mass Communications.

Some of her work was published during the eighties and nineties in editorial pages of newspapers in the state of New Jersey and Florida. She also did some work as a community reporter for a weekly newspaper in Panama City Florida.

Presently Julie has a number of articles at that have been published at ezinearticles.com and has become a retail consultant for a Gerson Lehrman Group Retail Council.

She is the wife of TSgt William F. Pierce Jr. (retired) USAF and the mother of three children and one grandchild.

Her experience with Walmart has taken her into three regions and six districts within the company. In over a six-year period has worked in ten Walmart stores for twelve Walmart Store Managers. Her experience covers being an hourly associate in many different job positions with Walmart beginning in May of 1998 and she has been a salaried member of management with Walmart since January 25, 2002. During her career with Walmart six out of six adults in her family have at one time or another been employed by Walmart five as hourly associates. Presently two are still employed with Walmart.

My Company Contacts

Lee Scott: CEO Chief Executive Officer since 2000

Current

Emails and Phone

Tom Coughlin: Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the Wal-Mart Stores Division

Board of Directors

Retired

Emails and Phone

Michael T. Duke:
Executive Vice President and President and CEO of Wal-Mart Stores Division (USA) Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Current Emails and Phone

David Glass Vice President and President and CEO of Walmart Stores Division, Board of Directors Emails

Jim Hayworth: Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the Wal-Mart Stores Division

Terminated

Emails and Phone

John T. Walton: A letter sent to Colorado no reply as yet.

Mr. Walton is the Chairman of True North Partners, L.L.C., which holds investments in technology companies. He has been a member of Wal-Mart's Board since 1992.

Mike Huffaker: Divisional Senior Vice President

Emails and Phone

Mary Lockridge: Mike Huffaker’s Assistant

Emails

Ed Nagy: Divisional Senior Vice President

Emails and Phone

Jenny Jones Assistant to Ed Nagy

Emails and Phone

Lawrence Jackson: People Division President

Emails

Georgia Sherrill: People Manager: Mike Duke’s Office

Emails and Phone

Alan Harrbaugh Regional Personnel

Meeting, Emails, Phone

Tammy Scheuerell: Regional Personnel

Meeting, Emails, Phone

Larry Ezzell: Regional Personnel, District Manager

Emails, Phone

Wally Davidson: Co manager, Store Manager,

Regional Personnel Manager

First Store, Emails Phone

Robert Hayes Regional Personnel

Emails, Phone

Greg Riddle Regional Personnel

Emails, Phone

Ronny Hayes: Regional Vice President

Emails, Phone

Todd Harrbargh: Regional Vice President, Last in California with Walmart.com

In person…emails

Mike Quinn: Regional Trainee, Regional Vice President

`In person meeting, emails, phone

Jerry Neal: Regional Vice President

In person, emails, phone

Paul Busby Regional Vice President

Meeting in person, emails, phone

Arthur Emmanuel: Regional Vice President, Divisional Vice President of Specialty Divisions, Board of Directors, “Wal-mart Associate in Critical Need Trust Fund”

In person, emails, phone

James Pike District Manager

In person, emails, phone

Mark Dennison District Manager

In person, emails, phone

Stan Green District Manager

In person emails, phone

Leslie District Manager

Emails, phone

Greg Sharp District Manager

In person, emails, phone

Mary District Assistant

In person, emails, phone

Houston Hollinger

District Manager

In person, emails, phone

Chad Edwards District Manager

In person, emails, phone

Jared jeannsome Corporate Services

Emails and phone.

There are others many were emails, phone conversations, meetings.

I have met numerous Regional Trainers and many others at the regional and district levels that I only know the first name of. This does not include the lists of store managers, co managers, assistant managers, or other district managers and district assistants I have contacted and worked with.
Julie Pierce

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Wow good luck with that.

Walmart, good place to shop....very very bad place to work. (experience speaking)

Codger

Registered
Reaction score
If this is serious.

IANAL

I'd be careful before spreading this around. If the names and titles are real, there may be legal ramifications.

You might want to pass this by a lawyer.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what your post is--is it a query letter? If so, you don't mention your own book until far too late in the post. You need to tell prospective agents or publishers what your book is about up front. The competitive analysis you offer should be under its own heading (Competitive Analysis) and should come well after you've described your book's premise, the audience for your book, and why your book is relevant to the general reading public. This post seems to me to waver between book pitch and personal diatribe, and I think it could really turn off agents and publishers if you're not careful. I would re-format this, and rethink some of the way you present this. A book proposal should be short, to the point, and focus entirely on pitching your book. You won't need the list of corporate contacts in a proposal, and I would hone your author bio more so that your writing experience sounds more professional. You can leave out the personal details about marriage, etc., since those aren't relevant to an agent or publisher interested in your work. I wouldn't include the marketing plan you have here just yet, since every author would like radio and television interviews, and it's not really a marketing plan to pin your book's success on rising or falling corporate stock.

Good luck.

book_maven

Reader Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Julie, have you read the excellent "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" by Barbara Ehrenreich?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Book

Sounds like a book that could sell, well, if you can fill it with enough inside information. Though I doubt it will be sold at WalMart

But I love my WalMart Supercenter. It's my home away from home. So don't write anything that'll make them raise the price on office supplies.

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Sounds like a book that could sell, well, if you can fill it with enough inside information. Though I doubt it will be sold at WalMart

But I love my WalMart Supercenter. It's my home away from home. So don't write anything that'll make them raise the price on office supplies.
Thanks,
Working on it and starting out again after firing my agent.
Seriously, I have to look at what I posted again.
My agent helped my complex.
He made me feel as if I needed serious writing help...like a book doctor.
When he couldn't sell the book to the labor unions I think he gave up.
Prices at Walmart are going up very slowly and if the stock doesn't move soon, who knows what will be next.

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
Basically, now that I have looked at it. The post is what my ex-agent asked for when he was going to send out submissions.
I have changed a few things and really appreciate all the advice I can get.

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
book_maven said:
Julie, have you read the excellent "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" by Barbara Ehrenreich?
Haven't read it but will look for it.

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
why did you fire your agent?
After four months of no contact I requested he email or call me with information on what he did with the book since we last talked.
I asked who he sent it to? Did he send the revisions he asked about?
All he said was, most were phone calls or emails, he provided no information on who actually saw it and sent me a list with 21 publishers on it. He didn't seem to think he should be able to tell me what happened and asked me if I found a book doctor yet.
I guess you could say it was getting old. He didn't mention a book doctor in the beginning and had someone (I didn't pay) edit the first three chapters. It changed the entire story. I lost about 2000 words and some of the most important information.
After he sent it out he asked me to rework it and basically put it back. I revised and sent it to him immediately. I then heard nothing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
jdpierce said:
Thanks,
Prices at Walmart are going up very slowly and if the stock doesn't move soon, who knows what will be next.

Prices everywhere are going up for two reasons. 1. China is now floating their dollar. 2. Gas prices are at record highs. If the projected three bucks per gallon actually happens, look out for hyper inflation, at Wal-Mart and everywhere else.

But methinks you were right to fire the agent.

cattywampus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pygmypress.com
No legal ramifications if you're telling the truth. However, you might answer your door one dark night and find two big thugs wearing Wal-Mart hats on your doorstep.

The piece still needs editing/revising - that's what your agent is trying to tell you. If you had an "MS Doctor" (unpaid) you got just what you paid for. As an MS doctor myself, I believe it's always best to go with a pro.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
jdpierce said:
Thanks,

I've read your query repeatedly and I'm still unclear what you're offering. Is it an expose/'inside look' at Wal*Mart? If so, you don't make that clear.

As for this post, I'm completely confused by: When he couldn't sell the book to the labor unions I think he gave up.

What does that mean? An agent's job is to sell the book to a publisher, not unions.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com

One of my favorite, favorite books.

And as far as Walmart goes ......I have only one word to say about it ..

"union." Sssshhhh

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
cattywampus said:
No legal ramifications if you're telling the truth. However, you might answer your door one dark night and find two big thugs wearing Wal-Mart hats on your doorstep.

The piece still needs editing/revising - that's what your agent is trying to tell you. If you had an "MS Doctor" (unpaid) you got just what you paid for. As an MS doctor myself, I believe it's always best to go with a pro.
He wanted someone to rewrite the entire book and I posted the rough draft as my computer crashed and the cd the final copy was on was accidently written over.

He had someone edit it and what is here is what they did I hadn't worked on it yet.

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
He lists the UFCW as a publisher and says that if they liked it they would publish it.

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Prices everywhere are going up for two reasons. 1. China is now floating their dollar. 2. Gas prices are at record highs. If the projected three bucks per gallon actually happens, look out for hyper inflation, at Wal-Mart and everywhere else.

But methinks you were right to fire the agent.
Thank you looking for a real one now.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
jdpierce said:
He lists the UFCW as a publisher and says that if they liked it they would publish it.

I'm not aware of that union having a book publishing arm. Did you check that out?

jdpierce

Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
I've read your query repeatedly and I'm still unclear what you're offering. Is it an expose/'inside look' at Wal*Mart? If so, you don't make that clear.

As for this post, I'm completely confused by: When he couldn't sell the book to the labor unions I think he gave up.

What does that mean? An agent's job is to sell the book to a publisher, not unions.
He thought they would order 50,000 copies, pre publication.
He thought they might back it.
Actually I am not entirely sure what he thought that is what led to me firing him.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'm almost afraid to ask - WHERE did you get this agent?

and be sure to check the Preditors and Editors website before signing with anyone...

and as mentioned above - you need to tighten this query up bigtime - as it stands I'm not sure WHAT the book is about, other than WalMart...

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
jdpierce said:
..the cd the final copy was on was accidently written over.
This may be a stupid question, but was it a CD-R or a CD-R/W ?

If it was a cheap CD-R, even if you have overwritten the file, it is still 100% retrievable. Basically, it is only 'Write Once', so when a file is over-written the disk just gets a new 'Table Of Contents' which points to the NEW file, not the old one.

With the right tools, you can simply read the 'old' session and get the old file back. Not a single word on the original file will have changed.

There should be dozens of Windows tools that will do it. (Try http://www.isobuster.com ).

It's very easy.

Mac.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly JDPierce,

If your original piece/proposal was damaged on a CD-RW, then I can understand you drafting another piece, however what you have posted here is very unclear to the reader and if it is the same of which you gave an agent, I'm surprised he didn't fire you; Or perhaps he did by not getting back to you. I'm not trying to be funny, but there's a lot of work to do to this. You're not clear of what your intentions are. And I know you've mentioned that you are working on this. Wishing you luck on that.

My other concern is that you seem very adamant in bringing this huge company down with the inside scoop. If you're telling the truth, how are you obtaining your facts, and is it sourceful? I just hope you know what you're doing, because I'm sure Wal-mart has the best of attorneys that are willing to rip you apart if any part of your book is without facts. Wishing you the best on that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.