PDA

View Full Version : The Cell Phone Novel...

James81
02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93383?fp=1

Teen writes a novel from her cell phone and it's a hit.

What do you think? New fad or a new adaptation of writing to fit the technology of our generation?

icerose
02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I think just reading that makes my fingers ache. The thought of trying to smash those buttons to write a full novel is just...ow!

Anyway, good on her. As with all new things only time will tell. A lot of people didn't think cassette tapes would catch on and look how long they lasted.

kellion92
02-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I read that and it depressed me a little. I wouldn't read or write that way, but obviously, she has connected with many readers.

Cyia
02-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I haven't read it, so I can't comment on content - it may very well be good. But it's like the FIRST TWITTER NOVEL!!!! or THE FIRST IM NOVEL!!!! It's famous for its gimmick at the moment, otherwise people would be focusing on the story over the vehicle.

blacbird
02-12-2010, 12:01 AM
I haven't read it, so I can't comment on content - it may very well be good. But it's like the FIRST TWITTER NOVEL!!!! or THE FIRST IM NOVEL!!!! It's famous for its gimmick at the moment, otherwise people would be focusing on the story over the vehicle.

I'm sure you mean "vehicle" in the sense of the electronic device. I'm more worried about "vehicle" in the sense of the automobile. We have enough trouble with dimwits gabbing on cell phones while they drive; now we get reading novels on cell phones while they drive. I can hardly wait.

caw

gothicangel
02-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Am I having deja vu here or is there two different threads on the same topic?

Mr. Anonymous
02-12-2010, 03:15 AM
"Miku was in a pink one-piece dress, wearing white heels. She looks mature because her hair is lightly curled. She's looking straight at me. It's hard to keep my cool when she's looking at me like that."

Am I an idiot or is there a tense conflict here?

Shadow_Ferret
02-12-2010, 03:38 AM
the way it works is writers keep to a cell-screen-friendly 1,000-character limit per page and upload from their phones to publishing websites, then get instant feedback on plot twists and helpful fixes on typos.

Hmm. Honestly, I'm torn. 6 million readers is nothing to sneeze at. Last year if you'd said people are writing 140 character length stories for Twitter, I'd have laughed and said, "What is the point?" But now I've had a few of my own twitter stories published, so...

*shrugs*

kaitie
02-12-2010, 08:07 AM
I commented in the other thread that I've seen a few of these and was incredibly unimpressed. I'm sure it might be able to work, but the audience is basically 15-year-old girls, and the ones I've seen in any case haven't been much to write home about.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
I think it's a fad. It seems appealing for awhile, but eventually they'll be looking for the next new fad. Eventually the novelty will wear off, people are going to get tired of poorly written stories and move on. Or maybe I don't see the appeal of correcting someone else's typos and plot errors.

kaitie
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
It reminds me of fanfic, actually.

Though, in Japan it's nice to see anyone writing. It seems like in America you always had quite a few students who were interested in writing in a given class. Many might not be interested enough to write a novel, but writing something wasn't uncommon. In my four years here, I've had two students who wrote as a hobby, one poetry, and the other aspired to write a book. That was pretty amazing. They're much more interested in art.

I've actually wondered before if this has anything to do with the lack of a) encouragement for creativity and b) writing. You'd really be surprised at how little writing students are taught. I've even discussed this with some of my coworkers, and it's just not viewed as a high-priority skill, unless perhaps you are at a high-level academic high school.