Personal info in email query?

BlueDimity

Registered
Reaction score
Once I send my email query to an agent, do I also add me phone number, adress, and whatever else? Sorry. I am sooo new. Blah. LOL

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Anon, here's the thing: if you don't include your contact information, how is the agent going to get in touch with you if he or she decides to give you The Call?

:)

I'd provide it beneath your signature so it doesn't clutter up the rest of the email.

Danthia

Yes. You want them have ways to contact you if they want to see more.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Definitely! You don't have to shove it in their face, but I sign all my queries the same:

Sincerely,
(Name)
(Phone number)
(email address - in case they print out your query or somesuch)

You can include an address if you want. I don't, personally, since I don't see a need for it.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely! You don't have to shove it in their face, but I sign all my queries the same:

Sincerely,
(Name)
(Phone number)
(email address - in case they print out your query or somesuch)

You can include an address if you want. I don't, personally, since I don't see a need for it.

This is what I do but I do include my mailing address (largely because I'm in another country).

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
You can't go wrong by simply following the same conventions you would for a hard copy query, in business letter format. All pertinent info is then included.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You can't go wrong by simply following the same conventions you would for a hard copy query, in business letter format. All pertinent info is then included.

Actually, one of the agents who blogs recently commented that she/he hates it when people format emails like print letters.

Putting the recipient's physical address, or the date, before the body of a business email is annoying. Best to do something like this:

Dear Ms. Doe:

I'm seeking representation for SHUCKS, a novel of suspense set in the hot new world of corn-detasseling.

When Letitia Phizackerly inherits her uncle's North Dakota farm, she finds herself chasing hitmen rather than boll weevils. But not just hitmen, but also the Interpol agents who are after the fortune in jewels hidden in her cornfield.

SHUCKS is 80,000 words in length; I'll be glad to send you the partial or full manuscript at your request. My previous novel, SPITTING OUT THE PEEL, was selected as Best Book of the Year by the US Apple Growers' Monthly.

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

IceCreamEmpress
[email protected]
(123) 456-7890

123 Sesame Street
Anytown, MA 02134

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, one of the agents who blogs recently commented that she/he hates it when people format emails like print letters.

Putting the recipient's physical address, or the date, before the body of a business email is annoying. Best to do something like this:

Agreed. I think most professionals are used to seeing it in the signature (at the bottom of the email). I've been working in IT offices for ten years and have always used this format. In fact, every email I've received from agents that includes contact info has it in the sig.

BlueDimity

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. So very helpful. And Ice Cream, that's a good query!=]