Deus Ex 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I've never played the original Deus Ex, which I know some gamers consider a blasphemy. However, despite all the complaints against Deus Ex: Invisible War by fans of the original, I really enjoyed it. Granted, it's quite dated now, but it was one of the first RPGs I felt I had some choices in how to complete a quest or objective.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So I just got through Liberty Isle on Deus Ex.
I ended up killing a lot more than I would have liked, mostly because all the pacifist weapons I had were on charges and ran out fairly quickly, where lethal weapons were far more plentiful. Didn't find the baton until near the top of the tower.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You can play the whole game without a single kill (well there's one spot that's being argued about) if you simply avoid most enemies. Imo though, that's something better done on a second playthrough, since it's much faster and you miss out on sneaky backstabbing fun.
Iirc, the quickest, non-lethal approach to the statue was to climb a pile of boxes outside, and then sneak around the guards to the top.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
You can play the whole game without a single kill (well there's one spot that's being argued about) if you simply avoid most enemies. Imo though, that's something better done on a second playthrough, since it's much faster and you miss out on sneaky backstabbing fun.
Iirc, the quickest, non-lethal approach to the statue was to climb a pile of boxes outside, and then sneak around the guards to the top.

I did that at first...but I realized I'd forgotten about Gunther, so I went back to save him. >.>
Made the level take quite a bit longer.

Last edited:

stevebutler44

Registered
Reaction score
The first Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time, and I had a couple of years after it came out. Got randomly packed and I bought a PC. This looks and sounds like an incredibly bad ass. One of the things that made Deus Ex is due to stand in detail the story ... how to weave together a huge amount of conspiracy theories and books, e-mails, letters and conversations of all backgrounds.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, while i'll admit i'm itching to give Deus Ex 3 a try too, i can't say i agree that what we've seen so far is promising. It's not like it's disappointing either, but honestly, what have been shown about the game? Nothing at all. We've seen some pretty cool CGI videos, but there's nothing to say the game couldn't be an even worse attempt at milking the reputation of DX1 than the the second one was.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Looks too post-Xbox shooterish to me. Like Gears of War. Damnit, why are the developers catering to the whiney ADD-addled kids of this generation? Isn't that what made IW suck so hard?

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
From what I've read and seen it seems to be somewhere in between the original Deus Ex and the Invisible War game that sucked. I'm hoping it leans more toward the original, but I wouldn't expect quite the same subtlety.

The real problem is most of what I've seen of the game doesn't look very... modern. All the graphics seem to be a few years behind modern games. Maybe that's just me. Still looks fun to play.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Can live with outdated graphics as long as the gameplay is up to the standard set by the first game. There's plenty of glitzy games out already, great graphics will make me go wow but I'll never replay a game because of them. Loved the original, never got around to playing IW after all the mediocre reports. This does look interesting but I've seen so many disappointing sequels now that I don't pay much attention until I can actually play the game myself.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I kinda liked the technology and setting of Invisible War...

Everything was actually OK with IW except for how it was consolified and dumbed down. And the physics were horrible. But I still have fond memories of it. Trier was a super fun level.

Edited to add: Actually there was one brilliant thing in IW that I've yet to see in another game: the ability to break glass silently. DAMN did I love that bolt gun.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I can play Minecraft and Planescape: Torment, but I can't stand Two Worlds (the original). Which reinforces a point I heard recently about the difference between graphics and aesthetics, and that graphics are there to serve aesthetics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.