PDA

View Full Version : Are you a risk taker or do you play it safe?

writeronfire
02-10-2010, 07:14 AM
I was having a discussion with a friend the other day about this. We were talking about how some people take a lot of risks in life, whether that means athletic kinds of stuff like skiing or car racing or mountain climbing, or the kinds of jobs they take, really living life to the fullest, while some people play it safe, not taking risks so they'll live longer, but maybe don't really live.

So, what do you think? Which kind of person are you and do you think one way is better than the other?

Bubastes
02-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Is it really an either-or question? I consider myself the kind of person who takes calculated risks. I try to live life to the fullest, but I make sure I prepare enough so that what might seem risky at first no longer is.

soapdish
02-10-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm usually a play it safe kind of person. And it has it's pitfalls. But I suppose being a risk taker does too. I'm a firm believer in a happy medium with regard to everything, so I keep trying to pull myself toward the other end of the spectrum so that I'll hopefully land in the middle, but it's a constant struggle.:)

Wayne K
02-10-2010, 07:38 AM
I border on suicidal risk taker, though I've mellowed with age. I've never done extreme risk taking, like skiing 175 miles an hour, but I can see there's probably a rush to it that I could get into if I were younger, and in better shape.

semilargeintestine
02-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I usually take calculated risks, but sometimes I just do stupid things because I'm stupid. My girlfriend says that's selfish of me because I'm not thinking about how she'd feel if something happened to me. Maybe it is. I dunno.

Scoates
02-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Is it really an either-or question? I consider myself the kind of person who takes calculated risks. I try to live life to the fullest, but I make sure I prepare enough so that what might seem risky at first no longer is.

I picture your DJing cat saying this.

Cranky
02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm quite timid, actually. I have a really adverse reaction to adrenaline being dumped into my system. It makes me feel sick to my stomach, so I prefer not to take risks unless I am reasonably sure that things will turn out well.

writeronfire
02-10-2010, 08:01 AM

Well, I guess that's a fair question, Bubastes. I tend to think people are one or the other in general, the people I've known. As I'm getting older, I seem to want to take more risks. But I know people who did a lot of risky things in their youth (drugs, booze, fast driving, taking rides with strangers) and now they're getting more mellow and playing it safer as they're getting older.

Wayne K
02-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I've done all of the above, but when I took rides with strangers, it was them taking the risk

writerterri
02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
I take a risk every time I tarf.

HOOFARTED?

:roll::roll::roll:

Ohhh, I crack myself up.

It depends for me. I usually test the waters before I jump. Kind of on the fence. Give it all good thought. Not like the sentence above though. That's a risk unless I don't hit submit..

benbradley
02-10-2010, 08:23 AM
As someone else pointed out, "not having lived" because you haven't "taken risks," especially in the sense of something that could cause physical harm, is a false dichotomy. Emotional risk, however, is another kettle of fish. I'll leave that for someone else to scale.

I have always worn seat belts, even back in my twenties when I many times drove drunk was once arrested and convicted for driving drunk.

But over the decades I've substantially lowered other risks of physical harm I had been taking. For one, I no longer drive a Volkswagen Beetle. I quit drinking at age 30 and quit smoking at age 34. I started running and swimming and stuff. "Stuff" means riding a bicycle, and that's definitely a risky thing on the streets. For a few years I rode about 5,000 miles a year. I was never hit, but I was harassed a few times.

I haven't done as much exercise as I should lately, but I've been improving my diet over the years and decades. I eat oatmeal for breakfast instead of some sugary cereal, though I sometimes eat the original Total (I picked that in the '80's because it looked like the healthiest cereal in a Consumer Reports magazine).

As the joke goes, if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself...

Cella
02-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I am a creature of comfort, so I take virtually no risks. And when I do, I feel sick...and therefore uncomfortable.

*sips tea, reclines in Lay-Z-Boy*

:)

soapdish
02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Oh, well if we are going to go back decades, then I *was* more of a risk taker I guess. Only, at the time I wasn't trying to be a risk taker, I was just living in the moment. I did that too many times and that's how I ended up the play it safe person I am now.

bettielee
02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I am a creature of comfort, so I take virtually no risks. And when I do, I feel sick...and therefore uncomfortable.

*sips tea, reclines in Lay-Z-Boy*

:)

**snuggles with Cella in Lay-Z-Boy**

sadron
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I play safe and take risks in certain stuff. :D

Silent Rob
02-10-2010, 02:58 PM
*leaps onto lay-z-boy with Cella and bettielee*

I can go whole periods of time without doing anything out of the ordinary but, on average, I try to do something really mind-numbingly stupid at least once a year. It's generally only after the event that I realise it was stupid, however. So I don't know if that makes me a risk taker or just an idiot.

Fran
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't do anything ever, risky or not. If I had my way I'd only spend an hour a day out of bed. :)

Silent Rob
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't do anything ever, risky or not. If I had my way I'd only spend an hour a day out of bed. :)

That, in itself, is a significant risk.

You're wild.

:D

Fran
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
That, in itself, is a significant risk.

You're wild.

:D

Not if there's no one with me. :D

backslashbaby
02-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm a complete nerd about seatbelts and things. Letting somebody know where I am, all that good nerdy stuff.

OTOH, if I plan a trip, something like 'sleep tentless on XXX volcano' shows up naturally for at least one day. Hey, it hasn't erupted in years. It's not risky. Driving on the highway in DC is risky.

I take a ton of social risks because I'm a goof and I don't take things like that seriously often. I crack myself up, too, terri :D Why not? :D

writeronfire
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I suppose it does depend on how you define risky.

Wearing high heels can be risky. So easy to tip over and maybe break a leg.
Dying your hair can be risky. Who knows about those chemicals.
Wearing contacts could be risky. Maybe you'll get an eye infection.

Rowan
02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Hhhmmm, I guess I'm a risk taker to some degree. Or maybe it's just that I took the road less traveled? Marine Corps, fed LE, etc. etc. I used to ride horses a lot (jumping, dressage) and some consider that risky due to potential for serious injury. And I used to run alone at night! ;)

I'm not reckless but there's a lot to be said for "carpe diem". :)

robeiae
02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I only take risks that I know are absolutely safe.

For instance, the other day I ate all of my peas before I even touched my carrots.

That's right, I'm crazy, I'm on the edge...

Mr Flibble
02-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I suppose you could say risk taker ( or what other people think of as risky) - thing is I rarely think 'ooh that's risky', I just kinda...do it without a second thought and am astonished that other people wouldn't, or that they think it's risky

I have to rein myself in now because of the kids, but it's quite hard when you don't even realise you're doing it.

regdog
02-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I got out of bed this morning, does that count

Wayne K
02-10-2010, 06:55 PM
While some people look at risky behavior and ask why? I look at it and ask "Wait, what?"

sheadakota
02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
as someone said - depends on how you define risk taker- i always wear my seatbelt and make everyone who rides in the car with me wear one-

However- Like Rowan I ride horses- I used to ride alone until I had a really bad wreck- No one knew where i was-Missing for seven hours- Horse slipped going around a turn at full gallop- fell on me- lots of broken things- got back on horse to ride home-

I rock climb and not on a wall in a building- on real rocks outside and stuff- once the rope slipped and I swung between two crevices and I banged my head ( I was wearing a helmet) and was knocked out- hung there until they could figure out how to get me down-

So yeah- I guess that would qualify me as a risk taker:tongue

cray
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
why did the mods get so excited after they finished a jigsaw puzzle in only a few months?
because on the box it said 4-5 years.

i'm a risk taker.

kayleamay
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I think I'm a combo-type. When I was younger I acted on impulse a lot, which usually got me into trouble of some sort. Hitchhiking, drinking and driving, stupid things that I'm surprised didn't get me killed.

I still get bored easily and so I change things up a lot, but I'm pretty safe these days. Kids, husband, mortgage to maintain. I think mellow started to happen right after the birth of the first kiddo. Nowadays, risk taking is Wednesday night without a dinner plan.

Of course, I constantly nag my kids in hopes that they will be smarter than I was.

*leaves thread to take inventory of groceries*

cray
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
gah! don't quote it, you freak!

kayleamay
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Umm...maybe I'm still a little impulsive.

writeronfire
02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
i'm a risk taker.

How so?

cray
02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
i eat things past their expiration date.

scarletpeaches
02-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Haggis licks batteries.

kayleamay
02-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Peaches licks everything.

Wayne K
02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
I can eat a peach for hours

kayleamay
02-10-2010, 09:15 PM
*looks around, wonders why peaches hasn't pounced on this thread already*

scarletpeaches
02-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I was too busy emailing SOMEONE over 2mb of Henry Cavill.

kayleamay
02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I was too busy emailing SOMEONE over 2mb of Henry Cavill.

And for that reason I have just disinherited my children and written you into my will. You.Are.Da.Bomb.

I think I need to rehydrate.

scarletpeaches
02-10-2010, 09:37 PM
He is delicious.

That is all.

Clair Dickson
02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm about as timid as they come. Sometimes I think Hubby and I couldn't make a quick decision if our lives depended on it. We think and analyze everything to death.

I don't feel cheated. I enjoy my life. I also don't have to spend money on, say, traffic or court fines or emergency room visits, and things like that that often, as I see it, go with being risky and "living life to it's fullest." My students often tell me I should "live a little!" And I have to ask-- what is it about going over the speed limit that is "living?" I don't need an adrenaline rush to feel like I'm living.

My life may be boring to someone else, but this is a path that I do enjoy the vast majority of the time. And any time my life does get exciting, all I want is things back to normal-- quiet. I like my life. Being the quiet little porcupine that I am, I really don't think I would enjoy a different life. But I do know I hate being told I'm not living life or not living it to it's fullest. My glass IS half full, thank you very much. It's just not full of the same drink yours is.

brainstorm77
02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I like routine.

writeronfire
02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
i eat things past their expiration date.

I sometimes take medicines past their expiration date.

writeronfire
02-11-2010, 02:59 AM
I got out of bed this morning, does that count

I suppose. You could have gotten your leg wrapped up in and tripped over your sheets and blankets getting out of bed. Risky.

Ambrosia
02-11-2010, 04:17 AM
I have been told I am a risk taker. But, I don't see myself that way.

ad_lucem
02-11-2010, 04:22 AM
I obviously have no regard for my own personal health and safety: I'm married with nearly four kids and two dogs in the household.

No sane, reasonable person does that sort of thing...

Oh, and I've taken the kids both skiing and sky diving...well...indoors anyway... ;)

benbradley
02-11-2010, 04:38 AM
This thread reminds me of a mock-prayer I used to hear in AA meetings:

"Lord, so far today I haven't had a drink of alcohol, nor have I yelled at anyone, nor tried tried to kill anyone, and for that I'm eternally grateful to you. But Lord, I'm about to get out of this bed, and I'm going to need your help more than ever!"

tiny
02-11-2010, 04:42 AM
The older I get, the worse I get. Risk is a rush, and I likes it. Got the broken bones to prove it. :D

Chasing the Horizon
02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't think of myself as a risk taker, because I see life and death as random things over which we can only ever have the illusion of control. For example, I didn't wreck my car on the 30 miles of switch-backing road full of falling rocks which looked like a nice short cut in California, or in the hail storm while chasing tornadoes in Kansas, or dodging debris in post-Katrina New Orleans. I wrecked it on a bridge 4 miles from my house right here in Pennsylvania, which I'd driven over a thousand times before. So it turned out driving to work was riskier than chasing twisters or taking self-guided tours of disaster areas.

I've had quite a few things happen since that car accident to drive the point of life's randomness home. I've gotten away unscathed from lots of 'risky' things, and several acquaintances have died doing mundane things (one really did die getting out of bed, he was young and apparently healthy but had a sudden massive stroke). So, yeah, I do tons of risky stuff, from smoking to getting into a fight with a huge guy wielding a tazer, but I'll still probably die of a heart attack while laying on my couch watching NCIS reruns.