PDA

View Full Version : A question about putting a warning in query

BlueDimity
02-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Hello, so I am editing my YA fantasy MS for the last time (I hope), but I am wondering, for when I write my query, should I add a warning that my MS is...In a way, taking place in three different locations at once? (like switching places from chapter to chapter). Also, that it is like three stories in one, or should I let the agent find out for themself?
I am so sorry if this hard question to answer, and if so, then please ignor this thread.

Sage
02-10-2010, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't put anything resembling a warning of any kind in my queries. But I'm not sure why three locations would constitute a warning.

I say write the best query you can giving the concept of the story and your characters in a hook, and then take it to QLH and see if they think you're near the mark. I wouldn't mention the three locations unless it was vital to the description.

BlueDimity
02-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Sweet. Thanks!

thothguard51
02-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Does the book open with a warning. "Danger...danger Will Robinson, multiple locations."

Seriously, the agent or editor is well versed in story and style. You do not need to give them any warnings whats-so-ever. They want to see if you can show them the story in 250 words or less.

BlueDimity
02-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Thank you.

Wayne K
02-10-2010, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't query until I was sure of the "three stories or one" thing. If I did, I wouldn't mention it.

WildScribe
02-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Just popping in to say that I agree with the consensus, and... Mulan rocks.

Carry on. :)

Wayne K
02-10-2010, 06:41 AM
I popped back in to say: My post doesn't mean to say "Stop what you're doing" or anything. I meant that if you have doubts, figure it out. Don't ask them, tell them what it is.

I don't know if that's what you're going through, but if you are, it's good advice. You don't want to seem unsure of your work in a query.

BlueDimity
02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I popped back in to say: My post doesn't mean to say "Stop what you're doing" or anything. I meant that if you have doubts, figure it out. Don't ask them, tell them what it is.

I don't know if that's what you're going through, but if you are, it's good advice. You don't want to seem unsure of your work in a query.
Yes, that it helpful, though not exactly what I am going for because I am more than sure this is how my story was "born" to be-three in one with a couple subplots. Thanks.
And, wild, Mulan does rock! Haha.

Danthia
02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Fantasies often take place in multiple locations with multiple POVs, so that's not unusual. But even when they do, the core conflict and the main story drive is connected to all the POVs in some way. They're all trying to beat (or help) the bad guy trying to take over the world, for example. There's one event/thing/situation that affects every storyline and draws them all to resolve that thing in some way.

If you have multiple people trying to achieve a similar goal that ties the book together, you're probably fine and you just write the query to reflect that. If it's truly three stories that aren't connected, then you may want to rethink the book. Why are they in one book if the stories aren't connected to resolve a larger encompassing goal?