Hungarian translation, anybody?

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I am hoping that someone may be able to help. I need a line translated into Hungarian. A young man(17) speaking to a young boy(12), in a non-formal way, is asking:

"What is your age, young man?"

The 17 yr old is being taught how to speak in Hungarian this line asking his new young servant boy his age.

Oh, and I need the answer translated too, which is "twelve".

Many thanks!

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hány éves vagy, fiatalember?

Tizenkettő.

But I don't know if you change the 'fiatalember' [young man] in any way or put it somewhere else, unfortunately. That's just the dictionary version. The other parts should be grammatically correct.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Thank you, BSB! I found a translator online and everything matches up to what you wrote, except the young man part of which you're not sure of. It writes "te fiatal ember". Would this be correct, too?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Too tough for me to tell! The one you found is 'the same' to me, but I made a chopping motion to the meat-slicing ladies there when I ordered, you know ;)?

Truly, I'd guess mine is just the combined version, and I'd go with combined used the way you're using it -- almost like a name.

But you still need a native; hardest darned language! My name had a 'nok' sound on the end from people half the time and they couldn't explain why :D

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
There is a translating site called proz.com

Members can ask questions, and it's free to join. they have native speakers.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I think there is a member on here from Hungary, but I haven't seen him post in a while. Maybe I can send him a private message and see if he answers.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Need another translation

Okay, I looked these up on an online translator already, but I want to confirm these words to be correct.

Thank you = Köszönöm

With pleasure = Örömmel

The 'with pleasure' is the way Romanians say 'you're welcome', 'cu placere', as I'm technically translating this bit from Romanian into Hungarian, though the story is written in English (make sense?).

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I looked these up on an online translator already, but I want to confirm these words to be correct.

Thank you = Köszönöm

With pleasure = Örömmel

The 'with pleasure' is the way Romanians say 'you're welcome', 'cu placere', as I'm technically translating this bit from Romanian into Hungarian, though the story is written in English (make sense?).

Köszönöm, yes. Or 'köszönöm szépen' for thank you very much.

The familiar way sounds (mostly) like Kootzy, but I couldn't guess how to spell it*. You hear that short version a lot, but köszönöm doesn't sound too formal or anything. *eta: I guessed köszi and was right!

I don't know Örömmel, not that that tells you much ;) We said and heard szívesen all the time.

Last edited:

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Thank you, very much (oops, I guess it should be köszönöm szépen, lol!). This is why I like to double check with someone who knows the language, because I know nothing about it and I don't want to look stupid and use a wrong word. I'll use köszönöm and replace Örömmel with szívesen.

When I need more translations in the future, I'll just keep coming back to this thread.