Sometimes they really don't understand, and it's not you ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, why would a crowd gather, especially when almost everyone is on the way to work? That's one strange article, and, I think, a badly flawed experiment.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It is almost cruel!

Why would a crowd gather on a busy morning? I usually get places at least 10 minutes early, so I'd have 8 minutes or so to listen :)

It's the kind of beauty that draws immense crowds -- proveably... but it didn't draw a crowd at all. Do people not recognize the level of beauty when they buy tickets to it and listen? Unfortunately, I think that may be part of it, too.

I love that all of the children wanted to stop and listen :)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I've never seen the article, thanks for sharing it.

It did not suprise me one bit that nobody stopped to listen to him. The super-duper long article never really addressed the fact that because this was during morning rush in a busy location, that people didn't have time to stop whether they liked the music or not. If they were anything like me on their way to work, they timed their commute every morning down to the minute with no time to spare.

Duh!

Furthermore, most people probably are not familiar with what Joshua Bell looks like, let alone up close, if they know who he is at all. Yes, he's a famous violinist. I've heard his name, but I'm not very familiar with him or his music. So, the only thing all those people witnessed in their hurry to get to work was a few seconds of a guy playing violin. Then they were gone.

What was this experiment supposed to prove?

The only people who would have acknowledged him are those either familiar with his work and had the time to stand and listen, as one lady did. She saw him on stage a couple of weeks before. Of course she knew who he was!

A better experiment would have been to place him in a shopping mall, maybe an outdoor one on a nice day where people would have had more time to stop and listen.

But this experiment was a waste of a good opportunity, a good performer, and lots of words.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Aw! You don't think that kind of beauty should shine through, cut through the rush hour? It's perfect that people don't recognize him. His music live on that fabulous instrument is all you should have to make a decision.

I hoped it would shine through :)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm sure it shined through! I watched the video. It sounded awesome and he looked like a professional violinist.

But it was rush hour. Shining through or not, everyone had someplace they had to be.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think they were afraid of too big of a crowd! Never underestimate our focus during rush hour, lol. And that really is true and its own fact of life; I agree!

I like that folks thought he was panhandling. But a slow time would have been much better.

Reaction score
If I have somewhere I need to be, Shannon Leto couldn't stop me getting there.

It's a matter of priorities. What sort of person are you if you blow your boss out to listen to some supposed busker at the station? An unreliable one, that's what.

Not that I've ever heard of Bell, but until he pays my rent and puts food on the table, making money to feed myself is a priority over listening to him or anyone else when they're trying to distract me from work.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's a matter of priorities. What sort of person are you if you blow your boss out to listen to some supposed busker at the station? An unreliable one, that's what.

Probably depends a bit what you think of your boss and your financial situation...

I guess it depends how much of a hurry I'm in...

I find it a little hard to believe that so many people wouldn't have a few minutes.

But then I'm the kind of person who usually times stuff so I'm a little early.

Last edited: