• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Rom-Suspense Author Looking for critiquing partner/buddy for long term relationship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bglashbrooks

Currently editing for punctuation..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bglashbrooks.webs.com
Hello--I think this is my first actual personals ad: :p

I'm a currently crit-partner single in need of someone who'd be interested in doing a chapter-by-chapter swap of romantic suspense novel(s).

I have the first drafts of a rom-susp. trilogy written, and am in the process of revisions on the first and need someone who enjoys the genre and is familiar with it enough to catch any holes I may have missed.

Also someone who can be honest and frank and helpful, pointing out what needs improvement and what works well. I've tried crit relationships in the past, but they have always ended up with me investing a great deal of time in their work, but receiving "wow's" and "I liked its" in return. I need more than that.

I am an incredibly thick-skinned writer (multiple advanced fiction classes help thicken anyone's skin--nothing like standing in front of twenty classmates and reading aloud your prized chapter/story and not being allowed to say anything in reply but "Thank you" and "I'll take that into consideration"!) and know that I need that extra set of eyes to help make my story the best it can be.

Sometimes I get so used to seeing my works that I can't see the flaws and I know myself well enough to realize that at this stage in the writing process I need someone who is objective and not invested in the story (I can't get my husband to read my work for anything!).

In exchange I am more than willing to reciprocate. I'm looking for someone who would expect the same from me. I repeat--I am more than willing to reciprocate!

I am a part-time freelance graphic designer and full-time writer, and am online 4-6 days each week for 6-8 hours each day and would like a crit partner who is online on a regular basis as well (though not to the same extent I am, just online more than once or twice a week).

I am a female, 29, living in rural nowhereville (AKA southern Indiana) and have almost completed a Bachelor's in Writing/Fiction/Non-fiction. (I say almost because the two capstone courses I need...they only offer every three years...and my schedule prevented me from taking them last time they came around.) I've had classes in fiction writing, advanced fiction, literature (both ancient and contemporary) and English (plus a whole host of others).

I have published several short stories, as well. I am not a newbie to the writing world.

Other genres I am interested in are paranormal and historical.

Thank you...I know I can be a bit of a 'long-winded' writer--even on message boards. :)

BG

Last edited:

KevaD

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not a romance author, but I also am in need of someone to critique my work.

As a courtesy I have done critiquing for several new unpublished writers/authors ranging in genres from YA to horror to children’s poetry. In other words, pretty much everything. Only one cursed me and that was because his opening sentence was “This is a story you’ve read before” and I sent it back to him explaining that if I have already read it why should I read it again?

The rest responded with praise for my frankness and suggestions. Several sent me their revisions asking me to critique those also. I truly believe that if a writer only wants praise, then only his/her mother should read the manuscript.

I also believe that when someone critiques my work and responds with “Loved it! Wow!” they either didn’t read it or wanted me to respond in kind to their sample. Needless to say, it didn’t work out that way. When I say “Wow!” I mean it, because the next sentence may have a notation of “No! No! No!” followed by a suggestion for improvement. I only ‘suggest’ as it isn’t my work, it is yours and only yours to own.

We all write in the genres we love and believe in. I don’t pen romance novels though all of my novels contain some sort of love quandary that has to be resolved. A short fiction love story I wrote took fourth place in a recognized national competition. One of the best pieces of advice a published novelist gave me was to write what I know and read what I don’t.

I’m hoping to have a ‘breakout’ novel break out one day, but until then, I keep writing and reading.

If you are willing to give it a shot and exchange a couple of paragraphs to see if we can work together, I’m game. Below is my blog which contains opening chapters of some of my completed novels as well as the one I’m currently working on and the worst opening chapter I will ever write. Feel free to take a look and then decide. Send me an email if you’re interested. If not, I wish you luck with your writing.

http://dakentner.blogspot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.