PDA

View Full Version : This is why I enjoy writing...

V-Man
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I have no idea if I'll get a response back to the research email I just sent to the good folks at the Schaefer beer company, but I really enjoyed imagining the recipient's reaction...

Good morning!

I am currently revising the second draft of my next book, which takes place at a roadside tourist attraction in Florida featuring re-creations of French landmarks built entirely from empty Schaefer beer cans.

However, I am stuck on one technical detail. I would like to describe the coloring of the beer cans from the early 1950s, but the only reference I have is a few old advertisements posted on the Internet. Would it be accurate to describe the can itself as white, with a gold trim? Regarding the logo, I am comfortable describing it as red, with white lettering. Was this a standard trademark?

Also, if you have any photographs of cans from this era available, that would be very helpful. Thank you very much for your assistance!

***** V********

Chris P
02-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Check beer can collector sites. I collected beer cans as a teen, and we had books upon books of can history, can values, and can lore.

I would be interested to see how ticky they are about their name brand. I'll bet you get a response, and it will be interesting to see if they take it in the humor you intend or if they ask you to come up with a fictional brand. Experience shows they can go either way.

Wayne K
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
This is a job for Silver King :D

Wayne K
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
He's one of the reasons I like writing :)

Silver King
02-10-2010, 04:22 AM
This is a job for Silver King :D
Hey, I'm not that old! Fast forward twenty years or so, though, and I'd be the authority he'd want to consult with for sure.

He's one of the reasons I like writing :)
I didn't know that, and now I'm not sure whether to be honored or frightened or both. ;)

Wayne K
02-10-2010, 04:34 AM
:gone: