PDA

View Full Version : Who they were supposed to be...

EFCollins
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I dunno about any of you, but all three of my children's names changed from what I had picked out for them.

Child no. 1) He was supposed to be Dakota Bryce. I chose his name as soon as I found out I was pregnant. My father made clear he wanted our old family name in there somewhere. And so...

He is named Dakota Ramsay.

Child no. 2) I had always wanted to name my firstborn daughter Tuesday Dawn. My husband (at the time my boyfriend) wanted to name her Savannah AnneMarie. (Yuck!!)

Her name is Savannah Rose.

Child no. 3) I started out wanting to name him Trenton Ryan. Then I saw a thousand and one Trenton's running around. So, his name became Phoenix Ryan and we would call him Nick. When he was born, I took one look at him and said, "His name is not Phoenix. No way. It doesn't suit him." My OB-GYN (whom by then, I was on a first name basis with... he'd been caring for my pregnancies for three years straight) looked at him and said, "No, but he does look like a Nick. How about Nicholas?"

And so, I had Nicholas Ryan.

Did any of your kids names change during or post pregnancy?

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
My eldest narrowly escaped a variety of horrible names picked out by his dad instead ending up with Alexander and then a middle name of a gunslinger my husband's family is related to (a relation everyone celebrates greatly).

My middle boy showed up a month early while we were still in the planning stages of name-picking. Hence the name Dorian which has been the source of much scorn from the family on both sides.

My daughter's name is traditional, but I like it: Nicole Elise

And this last one... I don't know. I'm done naming. I left this up to my husband and the grace of God (grace, being if my husband actually can manage to pick a respectable name).

EFCollins
02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Why is it that men pick the worst names ever?

I had a friend whose husband named her boys after his hunting gear. Parker and Hunter and one other that I can't remember. Not that there is anything wrong with Parker, it's a good enough name... But Parker Wesson? Seriously? (Parker= a brand of compound bow. Wesson, as in Smith and Wesson).

My children's father had similar caca taste in names. Which is why he only named one child, and only got to pick one name, hehe.

lucidzfl
02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
And i'm getting really sick of guys named Todd.
It's a good fucking name OK.Hi whats your name?
Todd.I'm Todd. And this is Blake, and Blaire and Blaine and Brent. Where all these goofy fucking boys names comin' from. Taylor, Tyler, Jordan, Flynn. These are not real names. You wanna hear a real name? Eddie. Eddie is a real name, what happened to Eddie he was hear a minute ago. Jackie and Johnny and Tommy and Bill. Danny, Larry, Johnny, and Phil. What happened? Todd.
And Cody, and Dillon, and Cameron, and Tucker.
Hi Tucker, i'm Todd. Hi Todd, i'm Tucker. Fuck Tucker, Tucker sucks. And fuck Tuckers friend Kyle. Thats another soft name for a boy. Kyle.
Soft names make soft people. I'll bet you ten times out of ten, Nicky, Vinnie, and Tony would beat the shit out of Todd, Kyle, and Tucker

- George Carlin

Wayne K
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwYVqMj5i6k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwYVqMj5i6k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Maryn
02-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I miss Carlin. A lot. Like him, I'm not crazy about the trend to borrow Anglo-Saxon surnames as first names. Our kids' high school (they're young adults now), the trend had spread to girls, so it was anybody's guess what gender Tyler or Flynn might turn out to be.

I changed the name we'd chosen for our first-born, Caitlyn. The final few weeks of my pregnancy, every under-five girl I saw was a Caitlyn or a Katie. Although she arrived the first day of winter, her name is Summer. (We thought it was unique. Wrong.)

The second time, we went with an old family name from Mr. Maryn's side, the son of the first dude who came over from Europe: Seth.

Of course, being a silly family, we almost never call either kid by their names. More often they're Grumkin and Pie. Or Someone and Lord Waldemyr. When we see them among their peers, we've been known to do a little mental groping before coming up with their real names.

Maryn, losing it

EFCollins
02-09-2010, 07:47 PM
OMG.. do you know how frigging much I heart on George Carlin? Do you? I think not.

I have seen every one of his performances I can get my hands on. I've been looking for a box set of his vids and can't find one. I have yet to try ebay.

Kids names are tough, I'll admit, but I do want to laugh at some of the horrible things you see tacked on the clear bassinets in the hospital nursery.

A boy named Mandy. Yes, this is a true thing. Mandy was born around the time my daughter was born. e was in the bassinet beside hers when I went to see her the first time. Given though, that his mother was only eleven years old. I shit you not. Eleven years old, crying for her mommy to take her home while she was in labor. I nearly cried for her. And then she named her son Mandy... (I actually did cry for her... this is just a lame attempt at humor. But she really did name him Mandy.)

As for not calling kids by their names... I dunno if my kids would even know their real names if they didn't go to school, LOL! They have a thousand nicknames and I call them by quite a few myself.

cray
02-09-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001597/

CheekyWench
02-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I had my half pint's name picked out in high school. Quarter pint's name came later. I knew it was it when I got chill bumps saying it, and my MIL turned beet red :D

Cella
02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
My daughter's name is traditional, but I like it: Nicole Elise

I especially like her middle name ;)

Cella (pronounced like cello), was going to be our daughter's name had I not lost her early in the pregnancy. My husband still wants to use the name, but I can't.

So, as I'm preganat again and think it's a girl, I think we're going to go with Ruby.

My son's name stayed the same, Monroe..family name.

LaurieD
02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
LOL - I love that one of Bill Cosby's!

With my oldest, I really wanted names that weren't "family" names and really wanted my girl to be Kaitlin Olivia - but our last name starts with a D, hubs pointed that out. KOD, KO'd... Ok, so Caitlin Olivia. Even worse. COD. We debated back and forth until she was born. Then we just stuck her with Kaitlin Marie at the last minute. She hates Kaitllin btw... "Call me Katie or Kate, but not Kaitlin..."

With my son, hubs desperately wanted his son named after his father, Richard, and for some reason we got on a "family name" spree and added Kenneth to the list, so we thought maybe Kenneth Richard. The closer we got to his due date though, we started to have second thoughts and named him Patrick Conner instead. The Patrick I came across in a book I was reading at the time and I honestly don't know where Conner came from. But it suits hiim. He is simply isn't a Ken, Kenny, Kenneth, Dick, Rick, Rich, or Richard. He's a wall-climbing, coffee-drinking Patrick through and through. :D

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 08:50 PM

I had a friend whose husband named her boys after his hunting gear. Parker and Hunter and one other that I can't remember. Not that there is anything wrong with Parker, it's a good enough name... But Parker Wesson? Seriously? (Parker= a brand of compound bow. Wesson, as in Smith and Wesson).

My children's father had similar caca taste in names. Which is why he only named one child, and only got to pick one name, hehe.

We knew a couple who named their kids after cars.. Mercedes, Lexus, and Cougar.

:cry::flag: Uncle.

With our first my husband either wanted to name him after that stupid gunslinging eejit in the family tree or after some video game characters he liked.

The most recent offenses are Jean Luke or James Tiberius...

Not that Jean Luke is a bad name. It's just *knowing* he's deliberately trying to name after Star Trek characters that gives me the willies.

Of course, there are women with equally horrible taste... naming their children after continents and celebs and fruits. So, although I tend to lean toward a gender bias that reads something like "MEN SUCK AT NAMING CHILDREN"...I have to say, it's really an individual thing without a gender to blame. Some people really do just SUCK at naming children.

Case in point... in my son's kindergarten class there is a boy with a mohawk named after the front man from an 80's hair band.

His parents have told him to aim high in life: they want him to be a rock star with lots of tattoos...

:Guitar::e2shrug:

EFCollins
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh yes, there are women with the ability to name a child badly.

My mother. My real name is Ellen Fern. My sister is Melba Lucille. My brother is Ernest Lloyd (the only one with a decent name was the boy. Go figure)Yeah. Nice, huh? (Anyone, ANYONE who pokes eh funniez at me middle name will be cyber-killed with a hatchet. [not really])

But nothing wrong with tattoos. I have seven or so myself. Rock star... meh. Unless he's got the talent to go with it, it sounds like someone is projecting their dreams onto their child. Just sounds like. I dunno without actually knowing them.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/fwYVqMj5i6k&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED> (http://<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwYVqMj5i6k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwYVqMj5i6k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>)

He definitely nailed it with that one...

(don't shoot me, please)

You know, my middle son, being Dorian. We always get two fun things out of that:

"Oh, like Dorian Gray!"

"Um, no, hopefully not."

or...if they haven't met him, "Oh, your daughter has a lovely name. Just like the soap opera character."

"It's my son's name actually..."

or...from my eldest the history wonk...

"Dorian, you're being such a Dorian today."

When, in fact...I picked the name after the musical term.

But, if anyone asks, I say "it was simply the price of arriving so early...had he waited a bit longer..."

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh yes, there are women with the ability to name a child badly.

My mother. My real name is Ellen Fern. My sister is Melba Lucille. My brother is Ernest Lloyd (the only one with a decent name was the boy. Go figure)Yeah. Nice, huh? (Anyone, ANYONE who pokes eh funniez at me middle name will be cyber-killed with a hatchet. [not really])

But nothing wrong with tattoos. I have seven or so myself. Rock star... meh. Unless he's got the talent to go with it, it sounds like someone is projecting their dreams onto their child. Just sounds like. I dunno without actually knowing them.

Eh, tattoos are ok by me. That is, so long as they're not facial tats or so many you can't tell whether the person is wearing a colorful shirt. That's my taste, though. I'm also really anal about bumperstickers and decals on cars. It's probably the only truly conservative thing about me.

Well, maybe the kid has a talent. But since it's kindy... I'd think it rather hard to tell...

I don't tell my kids what they have to be when they grow up. I just tell them, whether they want to dig ditches or go into space, they're going to study their asses off so long as they're under my roof.

I'm not just any old pain. I'm a Royal Pain with Cheese.

:D

EFCollins
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I am the same. My daughter once claimed she wanted to be a doctor during the day, a ballerina by night and a zoologist on the weekends (boy I'd love to borrow some of her work ethic). Now she just wants to be a veterinarian. My youngest wants to do Marine biology an my oldest wants to be a chef. All fine by me.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I am the same. My daughter once claimed she wanted to be a doctor during the day, a ballerina by night and a zoologist on the weekends (boy I'd love to borrow some of her work ethic). Now she just wants to be a veterinarian. My youngest wants to do Marine biology an my oldest wants to be a chef. All fine by me.

Wow, all in one day? My middle guy at least broke it up by days of the week with a new profession for each work day. The weekends, he said he'd freelance... :roll: Gotta love kindergarteners.

My eldest turns green if you ask what he wants to be (Nr. Neurotic like mom). So I don't.

And Nicole knows she's a princess...what else is there?

Too funny. Wonder what they will end up as? Will be fun finding out, eh?

shakeysix
02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
my oldest daughter is hannah--pretty common now, but she is 37 years old and back in the seventies hannahs were few and far between. my hippie husband didn't want his children to carry common names. his was john smith, so who could blame him? he wanted to name his firstborn "Susquehanna" after the river that flowed through his hometown in eastern pennsylvania. i finally dug up a great great grandmother named hannah--so he agreed on it. thank god--can you imagine growing up as "sucky hannah?" --s6

EFCollins
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
@ad_lucem: It most certainly will. Without being too biased, I really do think my oldest boy could be a chef if he wanted. He's ten years old, but man that boy can sling some food in a kitchen. He's darned good and can out-cook me on many things. He has the chops if his cooking skills are any indication. But, he may just end up building houses and having a happy wife who gets to eat his yummy food o the weekends. As long as he's happy. And... as long as they become good people, I will be satisfied.

@shakey: At least there was a happy medium. Hannah is a pretty name, I think.

CheekyWench
02-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I just wonder what they're going to do to my youngest... her first name is Cerridwen.
(serra? carra? kerridhuh? howdoyousaythat? Just call her WINNIE, ffs!) lol

Fran
02-09-2010, 10:00 PM
My surname's Todd (Middle English for fox), and it's not a common first name here at all. Must be a wacky American thang. ;)

I won't give my brothers' names but we're all quite unusual. My mum and dad didn't want family names after generations on my dad's side having two male names between them. My nephew's been given a really common Scottish name, though. Seems every third boy's got the same first name as him.

Silent Rob
02-09-2010, 10:03 PM
My surname's Todd (Middle English for fox), and it's not a common first name here at all. Must be a wacky American thang. ;)

I won't give my brothers' names but we're all quite unusual. My mum and dad didn't want family names after generations on my dad's side having two male names between them. My nephew's been given a really common Scottish name, though. Seems every third boy's got the same first name as him.

Ned?

Fran
02-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Ned?

No! Buckieheid. :tongue

Silent Rob
02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
No! Buckieheid. :tongue

:rolleyes:

tiny
02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I had to keep my now ex from naming our second son Wellen. He kept telling me it was a real name. Fine. I'm okay with that name... if the boy's middle name wasn't Dowd. But it was so his name is Michael Dowd, not Wellen Dowd.

Cute names, funny for a moment, embarrassing for a lifetime.

Shadow_Ferret
02-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Not really. Once we settled on a name we both liked, that was it. And the name I had chosen for a girl, which we never had, was used by my brother and sister in law to name their daughter.

*looks at the names she chose, smiles, and decides not to pursue the argument*

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I was supposed to be named Sebastian Andres, since I was born the day after St. Sebastian and name me after St. Agnes would have been too cruel so I ended up with my name as it is.

Which is the most damn common name in the history of Christiendom.

BenPanced
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I was supposed to be Patrick Robert, Rick for short, but my folks stuck me with my father's name, instead. Yeah. And the "junior" suffix. :P I finally had to tell my mother I'd had enough identity issues growing up (middle kid, only boy, "junior", gay) that I wasn't too thrilled with the whole "junior" thing.

Stew21
02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
my oldest was going to be a girl. The dr. said so, the ultrasound seemed to say so also - twice.
So we had the name Payton Jean picked out for her.
Then 4 weeks before I had him. I had another ultrasound and we saw that we were having a boy. Surprise! His name changed to Kyle.

Xelebes
02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
my oldest was going to be a girl. The dr. said so, the ultrasound seemed to say so also - twice.
So we had the name Payton Jean picked out for her.
Then 4 weeks before I had him. I had another ultrasound and we saw that we were having a boy. Surprise! His name changed to Kyle.

Aw, not Payton John?

Anyways, I was supposed to be named Hope Mary Joy but then I came out as a boy.

semilargeintestine
02-10-2010, 12:36 AM

Way to make a sweeping generalization supported by two anecdotes. I've seen just as many horrendous name choices made by women, and most of my friends' kids' names were picked by the father. Some people just pick terrible names, regardless of gender.

I want to name one of my sons (IY''H) Menachem, but the girlfriend doesn't want a name with a "ch" because no one except Jews and Muslims will be able to pronounce it. I'm still working on her though.

semilargeintestine
02-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Aw, not Payton John?

Anyways, I was supposed to be named Hope Mary Joy but then I came out as a boy.

I was supposed to be a girl too. Actually, I wasn't supposed to exist since they told my mom she would never get pregnant again after my sister (born 10 years before me).

Fran
02-10-2010, 01:38 AM
My dad wanted to call me Sarah but my mum thought it was "boring". I like the name Sarah. Instead I end up with Franchesca - hard enough to spell in its proper form without the superfluous "h". I actually had an Italian teacher freak out over the spelling of my name. I didn't have much to do with it.

tjwriter
02-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Way to make a sweeping generalization supported by two anecdotes. I've seen just as many horrendous name choices made by women, and most of my friends' kids' names were picked by the father. Some people just pick terrible names, regardless of gender.

They went on to amend the generalization if you bother to read a little further.

Just sayin'

tjwriter
02-10-2010, 01:41 AM
I would have been Quentin had I been a boy.

Both of my girls were nameless until I was 8 or 9 months along and not decided for sure until I saw my children. My gut told me when I'd come upon the right name for both of them. And Cadence kicked me when I spoke her name.

Jcomp
02-10-2010, 02:52 AM
They went on to amend the generalization if you bother to read a little further.

Just sayin'

Why would anyone even care? "Men pick horrible baby names!" What a horrific generalization. I shan't sleep so long as people think my gender picks bad baby names. I am appalled at such an accusation! Appalled!

Btw, EF, your children all have names that sound like characters in an epic frontier novel. Kinda badass...

semilargeintestine
02-10-2010, 03:26 AM

Just sayin'

I didn't, and it doesn't matter because A, it was still made, and B, it's hardly the generalization of the century. Lots of people pick crappy names, but those names are great to them I guess. I would never name my kids pretty much any of the names in this thread, but I bet most people here wouldn't want to name theirs Menachem or Matisyahu. :D

Perhaps I should have used a smiley in my other post to show that I wasn't really offended, just making a note.

ad_lucem
02-10-2010, 04:08 AM
I didn't, and it doesn't matter because A, it was still made, and B, it's hardly the generalization of the century. Lots of people pick crappy names, but those names are great to them I guess. I would never name my kids pretty much any of the names in this thread, but I bet most people here wouldn't want to name theirs Menachem or Matisyahu. :D

Perhaps I should have used a smiley in my other post to show that I wasn't really offended, just making a note.

:Shrug:For me it isn't the name itself or the sound of it...it's the idea behind the name. I picked Alexander because of the name meaning, Dorian because it is a beautiful part of music, and Nicole also for the meaning...

Naming your kid after a car, a comic book character, a video game character, hunting equipment, a rock star you thought had really sexy abs back in the day, a fruit, a type of furniture/appliance/snack chip or a continent/city/state to which you have no personal connection....

That's just tacky in my book.

Each to their own, but if you're going to saddle some poor soul with a name for life the name should at least have some significance beyond "I thought Axl Rose was really bitchin' in those bike shorts in 92' so I'm naming my first born after him..." or "I sure would like to drive a Benz"

What the name itself sounds like...meh...it's more the thought that counts. :) But, I'm weird. FYI, naming is my least favorite part of parenting because I know whatever we pick we'll probably get in trouble somewhere along the line with it...with the kids or with someone else or whatever the case may be.

Alls I can say is, at least our last name isn't Hunt and we haven't named anyone Michael.

Cranky
02-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Hmm. If I'd been born the boy my father wished I was, I would have had my brother's name, Christopher. Not bad at all, but every other man his age has that name, I swear to Pete. He was one of five kids who hung out together, all named Christopher. Ugh.

My name is just as bad, with a slightly different spelling to make it stand out a bit. *shrug*

My oldest son, if my husband had had his way (rebelling against a "junior" thing, too), would have been named Zeus. I said "Hell NO!" to that, and he ended up Brannen. Everyone else has "normal" names. My Jason was named after a friend of my husband's who was killed while I was pregnant, but we hadn't had a name picked out yet for him anyway. I was glad that we had a chance to honor his friend.

If we'd had a girl, I was leaning towards Honor or Vivien, but alas, no girl children for me. *sigh*

semilargeintestine
02-10-2010, 05:05 AM
:Shrug:For me it isn't the name itself or the sound of it...it's the idea behind the name. I picked Alexander because of the name meaning, Dorian because it is a beautiful part of music, and Nicole also for the meaning...

Agreed.

Naming your kid after a car, a comic book character, a video game character, hunting equipment, a rock star you thought had really sexy abs back in the day, a fruit, a type of furniture/appliance/snack chip or a continent/city/state to which you have no personal connection....

That's just tacky in my book.....

I know a couple who wanted their daughter to have the chance to name herself (to an extent), so they gave her a middle name and a first initial. They named her (legally) C. Elizabeth Somethingorother, and they just let her pick whatever she wanted for her first name.

I wouldn't do that, but it's not a bad idea.

Silver King
02-10-2010, 05:16 AM
My old man used to get his boys' names mixed up, so he took to calling us by the sequence of our birth, which was easier for him to remember, I guess.

Even well into adulthood, he called me "Number Three." I became so used to it that even to this day when I hear that number called out, my ears prick up as if I'm being summoned.

ad_lucem
02-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Agreed.

I know a couple who wanted their daughter to have the chance to name herself (to an extent), so they gave her a middle name and a first initial. They named her (legally) C. Elizabeth Somethingorother, and they just let her pick whatever she wanted for her first name.

I wouldn't do that, but it's not a bad idea.

Well, at least they went with C. and not "TBD" :)

That's kind of cool. I couldn't do it, but hey, I give an A for effort.

It still beats naming a child after hunting equipment or a random fruit.

semilargeintestine
02-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Definitely :D

Naming is really important in Judaism. The name you give your child gives an insight into who she is and what her mission in this world is. We all have a little Ruach HaKodesh (Divine prophecy) when we name our kids.

EFCollins
02-10-2010, 07:01 AM
My old man used to get his boys' names mixed up, so he took to calling us by the sequence of our birth, which was easier for him to remember, I guess.

OMG. I do this. Seriously.

"I need child number one to go take his bath, two get your 'jamas out and three you ain't finished your dinner yet so you need to start grubbin'."

Despite how I sound on here, I speak very heavy Hick. I do not mind being a hick.

The naming of my children was important to me and I chose their names with reason. The reasons have nothing to do with the words themselves, but rather with my children themselves. This is why I couldn't give my son, Nicholas, the name Phoenix. He is not a Phoenix (but dammit I wanted a kid named Phoenix so bad), just as my daughter could have never been a Tuesday had that name still been an option after I became pregnant with her. If the names hadn't suited my other two, they'd have been named something else. Savannah wasn't Savannah Rose until after she was born. She was still Savannah AnneMarie (God, I just hate that name. AnneMarie by itself is fine, but paired with Savannah and I seriously want to gag.)

I'm a pretty weird duck about a lot of things and spirituality is included in my many weirdnesses. The only way I can explain it is that I chose the names before hand, but the true test of the name was when I looked into my babies faces. Something in me just knew I was either right, or wrong. The middle name didn't matter, just the first. (Middles I had a fixation on R's. I love R's. They're happy letters. Like Tipperary. It's just a happy word--so many R's and P's!)

Wow! Sorry. I'll shut up now.

Cranky
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
OMG. I do this. Seriously.

"I need child number one to go take his bath, two get your 'jamas out and three you ain't finished your dinner yet so you need to start grubbin'."

Despite how I sound on here, I speak very heavy Hick. I do not mind being a hick.

The naming of my children was important to me and I chose their names with reason. The reasons have nothing to do with the words themselves, but rather with my children themselves. This is why I couldn't give my son, Nicholas, the name Phoenix. He is not a Phoenix (but dammit I wanted a kid named Phoenix so bad), just as my daughter could have never been a Tuesday had that name still been an option after I became pregnant with her. If the names hadn't suited my other two, they'd have been named something else. Savannah wasn't Savannah Rose until after she was born. She was still Savannah AnneMarie (God, I just hate that name. AnneMarie by itself is fine, but paired with Savannah and I seriously want to gag.)

I'm a pretty weird duck about a lot of things and spirituality is included in my many weirdnesses. The only way I can explain it is that I chose the names before hand, but the true test of the name was when I looked into my babies faces. Something in me just knew I was either right, or wrong. The middle name didn't matter, just the first. (Middles I had a fixation on R's. I love R's. They're happy letters. Like Tipperary. It's just a happy word--so many R's and P's!)

Wow! Sorry. I'll shut up now.

I don't think that's weird at all, personally. We didn't know whether our second would be a boy or a girl, so we didn't have any names picked out. It took us awhile to come up with a name for him, but when we did, we *knew* it was right. It suits him down to the ground, even his nicknames.

Nicholas has been Nick, Nicky, Nickynickeloden, and Nicky-noo at varying points in his life. :D

dgrintalis
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
I will chime in here. When I was pregnant with my first, I wanted the name Ripley for a girl, Kane for a boy. (To explain the names, I am a huge Alien fan, okay?) My ex said no way to either name. We went round and round on it. He would not budge. So we agreed on Taylore for a girl, Taylor for a boy. (Don't ask. I don't remember the reasoning for the added 'e', but it's pronounced exactly the same.) I had a girl so she got Taylore Devereaux. (Again, I don't remember where her middle name came from, probably a baby book because my ex didn't even like Ripley for a middle name.)

When I was pregnant with my second child, I wanted Ash for a boy (yes, another character from Alien, but a different one, okay?), and I tried again with Ripley for a girl. No go on either name. I brought up Kane again. No luck. When I was eight months pregnant, we still hadn't decided on a boy's name. We'd finally agreed on Madison for a girl a few weeks before. We were watching tv one night and I thought I heard the name Ashton. When I mentioned I liked the name, my ex looked at me like I had two heads. Ashley? You like that name for a boy? I said no, Ashton. Turns out, they had indeed said Ashley, but I heard Ashton. My ex liked the name. This amused me to no end, since he didn't like Ash, but... Anyway, Ashton Chandler is my son's name, nicknamed Ash. So I sort of got my way. :) He's 18 so he predates Ashton Kutcher's rise to fame.

Guess who got the name Kane last year? My dog. And my daughter has frequently told me she wishes I had named her Ripley anyway despite her dad not liking the name. :D

writerterri
02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
My first born was always Asher Gabriel. I got the name then found out I was pregnant and that was his name. It was great faith.

My second child was Seth Micheal. Right up until birth. Then I had to name her Faith Elizabeth.

My third and final was going to be Anna even before I got pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant she was going to be Anna Elijah. I changed my mind and had Anna Grace. If she was a boy she would have been Seth Micheal.

I guess Seth didn't make it here cause the factory was closed down.

ad_lucem
02-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Definitely :D

Naming is really important in Judaism. The name you give your child gives an insight into who she is and what her mission in this world is. We all have a little Ruach HaKodesh (Divine prophecy) when we name our kids.

That's a good way to look at it. I know "what's in a name" or "a rose is a rose" are thrown around a lot. Still, there's a lot to a name. If nothing else, I think it's kind of nice to be able to say to your children...when asked "Why'd you name me this?"..."I picked it because it had this meaning or sentimental value" vs. well, son, I really love Jim Beam and you were conceived on the stuff...soo....it just seemed like the right thing to do at the time....

:D

LaurieD
02-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Anyone else notice (or is this just me being weird) that a lot of names seem to have certain personalities associated with them?

Example...
Every Jennifer I have ever known has been hard-headed and feisty.
Every Linda I've known puts on a front of being tough but is really marshmallow underneath that facade.
Every Jason I've known has a certain irresistible charm about them that they seem to be able to turn on and off on a whim.